Things you see at the boat launch

ClintR

Soon as I heard the sound of the winch freespooling I knew. That’s his wife trying to lift the back of the boat and what you can’t see is the skeg dug into the ground. Busiest day of the year so far but only took them about 20 minutes to get it on and gone so launch wasn’t too backed up IMG_8460.jpeg

My buddy used to live in the house by the Pitt River boat launch. We'd just sit on the deck and watch the chaos. So much fun. Most of the guys struggle. Always getting chest deep trying to keep their boat straight while the wife drives forward. Leaving the straps on. Not putting the plug in.

Last year at the Pitt Meadow Marina launch, I saw a guy back up to start going down the ramp and his winch failed - boat slid right off. Small 16ft fiberglass

The old guy who runs the launch, along with myself and a few other helpers/bystanders jumped into action and we had that boat back on the trailer in about 3min flat. I asked the old guy if he'd seen anything like that before - he shrugged, weekly occurance during the summer.

For the most part, people are pretty decent - but there is always some guy... We've all seen it.

Canada Day weekend is upon us, and with that comes the Albertian expert boaters. Perhaps for Friday night lolz I'll head to Skaha boat launch with a lawn chair, a six pack and a bucket of chicken.

Just about lost my KF28 onto the ramp at Port Hardy once.
Slick bunks are slicker than you think.
Strap stays on now till the wheels are well into the water.

Last year at the Pitt Meadow Marina launch, I saw a guy back up to start going down the ramp and his winch failed - boat slid right off. Small 16ft fiberglass

The old guy who runs the launch, along with myself and a few other helpers/bystanders jumped into action and we had that boat back on the trailer in about 3min flat. I asked the old guy if he'd seen anything like that before - he shrugged, weekly occurance during the summer.

For the most part, people are pretty decent - but there is always some guy... We've all seen it.
That's a steeeeeppp launch too!!!

Canada Day weekend is upon us, and with that comes the Albertian expert boaters. Perhaps for Friday night lolz I'll head to Skaha boat launch with a lawn chair, a six pack and a bucket of chicken.
Witnessed a fellow Albertan in kitimat 20 years ago drive up like he owned the place throwing gear into the boat while blocking the ramp. Once he was frustrated enough it was time to launch his big fiberglass 30-32' boat. He got point for hitting the ramp square the first time then abruptly got a negative 10. When he started down the ramp at low tide and the boat decided it didn't want to go fishing. It wasn't hooked on the winch or safety cable and had rollers on the trailer. My dad was laughing so hard at his arrogance he had to walk away before it got ugly.

All boat ramps should have a place to sit so you can enjoy burger and a beer and watch the spectacle.

Back