Sorting out the Sooke public boat launch options

Grant_J

I haven't yet fished in the Sooke area and I am thinking of trailering my boat down island to give it a go. I've been trying to determine what the best boat launch options are and I've compiled the following incomplete list. It'd be great if people could help fill it out and also make note of any inaccuracies or other unpublished tips/tricks on minimum recommended tide levels to launch/retrieve etc. (I know the answer for this will vary based on boat size)

Pedder Bay
- $10 in/out launch fee
- parking fee?
- # parking stalls?

Cheanuh Marina
- launch fee?
- parking fee?
- # parking stalls

Becher Bay Marina
- launch fee?
- parking fee?
- # parking stalls

Sooke Harbour Authority
- no public launch available? The boat launch link is broken but seems to try to redirect to Sooke Harbour Marina

Sooke Harbour Marina / Sooke Public Boat Launch
- $10 launch fee
- hourly parking charged by Robbins (Editors Note - I hate Robbins Parking)
- 21 parking stalls

I haven't yet fished in the Sooke area and I am thinking of trailering my boat down island to give it a go. I've been trying to determine what the best boat launch options are and I've compiled the following incomplete list. It'd be great if people could help fill it out and also make note of any inaccuracies or other unpublished tips/tricks on minimum recommended tide levels to launch/retrieve etc. (I know the answer for this will vary based on boat size)

Pedder Bay
- $10 in/out launch fee ( Correct)
- parking fee Included
- # parking stalls Id say at least 30 maybe 40 stall

Cheanuh Marina
- launch fee $10.00
- parking fee Included
- # parking stalls. Lots of parking and overflow but does fill up fast.

Becher Bay Marina (Private no public Launching)

Sooke Harbour Authority (Private Gov't)
Sooke Harbour Marina I believe has a launch but private for Moored boats only.
Sooke Public Boat Launch (Prestige Hotel)
- $10 launch fee Includes Parking.
- 21 parking stalls Parking is brutal. Depending on the size of your boat. You might be parking on the street. Very few truck and trailers fit in any of the spots.

There is also Jock's Dock beside Sooke Harbour Marina. I have never used it. Its not good a low tide I believe. Not a ton of parking and I don't know the cost. Never used it.

In my opinion Cheanuh Marina is the best. If you want to fish more west then Jocks or Sooke Public Boat Launch.

Ill answer for ya
pedder great place lots of parking
cheanuh good launch limited parking
Never heard of beacher bay marina must be cheanuh

Sooke harbour marina is private and dont even bother

Sooke public is good on any tide as for fees you have to pay parking is limited as hotel people use the spaces alot

Good luck wolf

Ill answer for ya
pedder great place lots of parking
cheanuh good launch limited parking
Never heard of beacher bay marina must be cheanuh

Sooke harbour marina is private and dont even bother

Sooke public is good on any tide as for fees you have to pay parking is limited as hotel people use the spaces alot

Good luck wolf
Is Andy not operating anymore Roy or is it just that bad its not worth it anymore.

Pedder Bay or Cheanuh are likely your best options with Pedder having more parking but a longer run time via water if you plan on fishing “ Sooke” , 20-25 minutes from Pedder.

Pedder Bay
- $10 in/out launch fee
- parking fee?
- # parking stalls?

Cheanuh Marina
- launch fee?
- parking fee?
- # parking stalls

Becher Bay Marina
- launch fee?
- parking fee?
- # parking stalls

Sooke Harbour Authority
- no public launch available? The boat launch link is broken but seems to try to redirect to Sooke Harbour Marina

Sooke Harbour Marina / Sooke Public Boat Launch
- $10 launch fee
- hourly parking charged by Robbins (Editors Note - I hate Robbins Parking)
- 21 parking stalls

Use Cheanuh at a mid to high tide. Park in the lower lot or up top in the overflow. Use Pedder if it's on the low side. Sooke Hotel is a good ramp but only 1 in/out at a time, and parking is awful. Cheanuh & Pedder have 2 lanes.

100% with N2013. Cheanuh would be my 1st choice. The guys and gals there are great if they aren't busy and you have to park up top, they have a golf cart and will come pick you up or take you up there. Sooke Hotel is also good, but you are more than likely parking up on the road, the one finger dock makes it a pain in the butt if you are by yourself. Pedder is great, but you are south of the preferred popular fishing spots but lots of parking.

Is Andy not operating anymore Roy or is it just that bad its not worth it anymore.
yeah its still ging and looked other day and it was quite full thats also a option

Shambles probably. Its 2 bad. Really nice place if it was kept up.
Its too bad because Andy and his family are darn good peoples, always enjoyed them. Between my parents and then us we stayed their over a span of 26 years. We got to know them very well almost like family. It was disheartened to see the place slowly slide down hill.

Andy just isn’t into it and has wanted to sell for years now. His asking price is so far beyond ever operating it as what it is and I’m afraid even for development, his asking price has taken out all the profit for anyone.

Its too bad because Andy and his family are darn good peoples, always enjoyed them. Between my parents and then us we stayed their over a span of 26 years. We got to know them very well almost like family. It was disheartened to see the place slowly slide down hill.

Andy just isn’t into it and has wanted to sell for years now. His asking price is so far beyond ever operating it as what it is and I’m afraid even for development, his asking price has taken out all the profit for anyone.

Could be developed into a beautiful place but that is a lot of dough. Yes it is too bad for sure.

Pretty sure that's the old Pacific lions marina
and it's also private.
I used to launch at Pacific Lions in the 90s but its been private for quite some years. It was handy for getting in and out in a small boat. Not sure why they still have a website.

I launched and moored at Sooke Harbour Marina between 10 and 20 years ago. It stopped being easy when they built the condos. You had to park trailer way up on the road, and even with no trailer you parked up near the road -- lots of hassling around with dropping gear, then parking, or dragging gear up and down.

Pedder Bay is my current choice. Closer to town, but not far from Race Rocks and fishing. Good ramp, free parking, good facilities including coffee shop.

Last edited:
Back