SVOP

Small Vessel Operators Permit.

I have just been told by Borris of TC that SVOP is not a requirment yet and that it still needs to go through to legislation on minimum Tonnage?
eg, under 5 tons may not require the course...or we may need a 25 ton Masters Ticket? Who Knows what will be drummed up next by TC?

As i have said before, it depends on what day you talk to him,lol

I spoke with him Today. He said we don't require it tommorow, but it may go through legislation by September and be mandatory for next year depending on individual vessel Length and Displacement. Then again he told us in January to get the Med A2 to be safe rather than upgrading if requirment changes take place! Lots of Grey area to navigate. Almost reminds me of the gun registry!

After speaking to people at Transport Canada it appears the SVOP will most likely be mandatory next year.

IT IS NOT MANDATORY THIS YEAR

quote:Originally posted by yo mama

So as a very part time guide now, what will I need to have for the summer if anything?????

You need to have your boat licensed as a commerical vessel, your MED a3, your restricted operators certificate, your boat Transport Canada inspected, and your PCOC at this time. Or, if you have a K number, the regular pleasure boating stuff, and make DAMN sure that if you do get checked you and your guests do not say you are a paid guide, I can only imagine the trouble for that. Think of it as running a commercial bus with only your regular drivers license and pickup truck.

Almost reminds me of the gun registry! LOL.

Welcome to something that gets passed by Goverment without one of our Canadian +1 million dollar feasabilty studies. Know one really truly knows what there doing and the rules change as the game is played. I will post the latest tommorow we follow it very closely at my work as it directly effects the build of all new commercial vessel too.

Remember it's all about SAFETY FIRST this was all brought on by lodges, guides and real water taxi companies complaining to Goverment about the fly by nighters or weekend warriors running a company under the radar many of the very unsafe while legit companies paying huge annual overheads paid the price.

Just My Humble Opinion
Cheers ME

SMALL COMMERCIAL VESSEL COMPLIANCE

Items that Transport Canada Marine Safety “TCMS” will be looking for on initial inspection through the Small Vessel Monitoring and Inspection Program “SVMIP”.

• It is up to the owner of the vessel to contact the nearest TCMS office and send it an official request – TCMS document requesting inspection. You can download this request document on TCMS website: www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety

• TCMS will be confirming the vessel has a commercial license number. Up until 2002 commercial vessel licenses were the same as pleasure license numbers. Commercial vessels were given until April 1, 2004 to change their pleasure boat license to commercial ones: example:
Pleasure lic. # 30KA9090, Commercial lic. # C12219BC. When applying for the commercial number you will have to state the vessels’ gross tonnage “GT”. If your vessel is under 27’ 10” not including the swim grid, it will be 5 or less gross tons by using the tabular method of tonnage calculations. Over 5 GT things become much more onerous and expensive for passenger & charter boats.

TABLE 2 – 1 TABULAR TONNAGE CHART

Length Overall Gross Tonnage New Tonnage

Less than 8 metres 4.6 2.3
From 8 m to under 8.5 m 5.0 2.53
From 8.5 m to under 9 m 6.0 3.01
From 9 m to under 9.5 m 7.0 3.56
From 9.5 m to under 10 m 8.0 4.17
From 10 m to under 10.5 m 9.5 4.85
From 10.5 m to under 11 m 11.0 5.59
From 11 m to under 11.5 m 12.5 6.41
From 11.5 m to under 12 m 14.5 7.30
Equal to 12 metres 15.0 7.78

If your vessel is a crew boat or water taxi you have the option of having a TCMS approved tonnage surveyor such as Mitchell Fothergill Marine and Associates Ltd., Ph: 250-756-2108 measure your boat’s tonnage under the schedule 3 measurement system.
This can be done on vessels up to 10 meters in length. There is a good chance if your boat is over 27’10” If for some reason your vessel comes over 5 GT, you will have to buy an appropriate life raft, and will need a 60 ton certificate to operate your charter boat, water taxi or crew boat. Patrol boats can be up to 10 gross tons, and work/freight boats up to 15 GT.

• The TCMS inspector will want to know the area and sea state you use your vessel in. Category C is for operation in a sea state of 2 meters or less. D is up to one meter, and B is offshore.

• You will need to provide operator certification for all persons operating the vessel, Med A-3, and have a VHF radio license.

• Your vessel will have to have the proper safety equipment, including:

TC Approve Life Jackets

TC Approved First Aid Kit

Manual bilge pump or bailing bucket

One Dry Chemical and one (CO2 fire extinguisher only for inboard or inboard/outboard boats), must be current. CO2 extinguishers cannot be kept in the cabin

TC requires flares must be current

Life ring and/or heaving line

Waterproof flashlight

Anchor, anchor rope

Navigation lights

Re-boarding device if boat does not have a swim grid

• Your vessels’ cockpit must be self bailing

• There will be a stability test required. The inspector will expect you to provide people or ballast for this test. He will measure the heal angle, freeboard and amount of freeboard at downflooding points.

• The vessels’ cockpit and any area on gunwales or foredeck where passengers will be using must have the proper railings. The railings must be at least 36” overall height from the deck or sole. There cannot be any more than 9” space between the horizontal railings. Board areas must have chains or cable closures. In some cases if you can prove the railings will affect the designed purpose of the vessel you may get an exemption.

• You may be required to have additional non skid put on boarding areas or decks.

• There must be access to the fuel valve outlets on top of the fuel tank or have remote fuel valve shut offs.

• Engine covers, hatches and doors must have good seals. Engine compartment hatches may be required to have hold down mechanisms.

• Door sills need to be a minimum of 4” high.

• All inboard or inboard/outboard boats will require:
Heat sensors with an alarm at helm for engine compartment.
Engine compartment air vents must have closures.
You will need a CO2 extinguisher access port to the engine area from outside, or have a CO2 extinguisher plumbed into the engine compartment.

Bilge pump or pumps must add up to a minimum total of 2,000 g.p.h. capacity and have anti siphon valves.

A high water bilge alarm.

No plastic thru hulls near or under the waterline.

If you have overnight accommodation you will need a smoke and carbon monoxide detector.

Life jacket storage areas to be well marked.

Wiring and fuel systems will be checked.

Any fuel, oil or coolant leaks should be fixed and bilge cleaned up.

Charts for the area the boat will be operating in.

Compass will be checked.

• When the inspection is complete the inspector may require that certain things be done before issuing a compliance certificate.

• The average cost to have your vessel brought up to compliance is between $1,000.00 and $5,000.00. Inboards and inboard/outboards are more expensive than outboard powered boats.

• All Small Commercial Vessels “Non Pleasure Boats”, must comply prior to April 1, 2008.

Just for your information!!!

Cheers ME

Hey Dirty,

Yes been a busy winter and haven't been out much at all. I might be doing a lil' more of the C.P. thing for the part time, works well for getting the Gwaii out of the system teporarly! Yes I will defintly stop in for a chat next time I'm up that way.

Wow, Kev, that is unbelievable. Is this going to affect the lodges up north as well. Oak Bay is in for a world of pain if so. Never mind the other countless ops. going on the coast.-dirty

I believe that if your boats cockpit or fishing area is ??? above the water line it can get approved without a self bailing deck but not possitive. As for the lodges up North and all over the island not sure how there going to deal with it. Many lodges provide cruiser suits for flotation devices and they are not considered DOT certified life jackets thats just one of the problems they will have to deal with. Lodges may find a loop hole by not charging directly for the use of boats or guiding services just include it in a inflated price for accomadations.

At my work we are modifing quite a few boats both fiberglass and aluminum to meet the new standards. Many are doing this now to beat the deadline as the closer you get the tougher it will be to get an inspection done. I have talked to many charter boat guys selling there boats and getting new ones because either they won't pass or it will cost to much to make it pass inspection

Cheers ME

Make note of the "no plastic thru hulls" hand a friend with a brand new 2006 boat have to rip it apart to replace all the thru hulld the first month he owned it :(

Not sure but almost all the new fiberglass boats I see seem to come with plastic as the norm.....

quote:Originally posted by SIR

Make note of the "no plastic thru hulls" hand a friend with a brand new 2006 boat have to rip it apart to replace all the thru hulld the first month he owned it :(

Not sure but almost all the new fiberglass boats I see seem to come with plastic as the norm.....

Depends on what you buy SIR. If you're a guide, have one built specially for yourself.

Suddenly buying a Grady and spending an extra few $$$$ doesn't seem like a bad idea does it?

quote:Originally posted by MyEscape

I believe that if your boats cockpit or fishing area is ??? above the water line it can get approved without a self bailing deck but not possitive. As for the lodges up North and all over the island not sure how there going to deal with it. Many lodges provide cruiser suits for flotation devices and they are not considered DOT certified life jackets thats just one of the problems they will have to deal with. Lodges may find a loop hole by not charging directly for the use of boats or guiding services just include it in a inflated price for accomadations.

At my work we are modifing quite a few boats both fiberglass and aluminum to meet the new standards. Many are doing this now to beat the deadline as the closer you get the tougher it will be to get an inspection done. I have talked to many charter boat guys selling there boats and getting new ones because either they won't pass or it will cost to much to make it pass inspection

Cheers ME

There's a whole lot of boats out there that are total barges that shouldn't be on the water...

I know a couple of guys that recently got a TC inspection. They had some work to do, but they were given a "work in progress" list, and that gives you time to work on the issue.

Back