Storing fuel under decks

Loosen cap, squeeze can with knees, tighten cap, no bulging.
So glad you clarified that. That makes it all so much better, and clearly you have it all under control. In case you are not a student of physics, the pressure will still build to the same level regardless of the can "squeezing", and my offer still stands. :rolleyes:

What about portable gas tanks? Guys use these all the time, but are these also as unsafe as gas cans? Just a thought.

Perhaps portable gas tanks which are stored above deck and which could simply be plugged into the fuel system is better alternative to carry gas cans?

And what about carrying gas cans on the swimgrid? Is this also unsafe practice?

On the swimgrid should not be an issue. Keeping gas outside the cockpit will prevent explosive vapors from entering the bilge.

I always worry about salt water getting into the fuel if I leave it on the swim grid. Probably just me, but, with all the spray and waves coming over the grid I get concerned about contamination.

If you have lots a room you could put a Jerry can or two in a Rubbermaid container. Should help it from getting damaged and if it does the Rubbermaid will contain the leak!

Have you tried this? Are you sure every Rubbermaid container is rated to hold gas? I would test the storage container with gas before assuming it will contain gas as I have seen gas eat right through a couple of plastic containers that were not gas rated.

I use a siphon tube from Cambodian Tire. Takes a few minutes each jerry can but gets almost 100% out and zero spillage. Just a plastic hose with a check ball in one end and you just stuff it in the jerry can with a "jerking " motion and the flow starts after about three or four "jerks" :)

The same system works well for me. You don't even have to hold the can up, just rest it somewhere higher than the destination and it automatically drains the can (in calm seas anyway). Depending on the tank setup in the boat (no anti syhpon) and length of your hose :) you could also use this to drain gas from the boat into the truck. Probably easiest if you disconnect the trailer and pull truck up beside boat. I do not know for sure if this is a static discharge risk and what you would have to do to electrically ground the boat / truck properly.

If you really want extra fuel and you have a spot for it maybe get a aluminum tank and vent it and away you go.

Back