St Jean's Cannery Schedule

I use High Tide in Campbell River, They are awesome ! I am fussy with my fish and I am 100% sure that I am getting my fish back. Reasonable timelines, industry standard recovery percentages or better, fair prices.

CR Greg

Just got off the phone with St Jeans, I had dropped 5 Chinook and 2 coho on Aug 30th for candy processing. They still have no timeline when it will be ready.....5 months and counting?!

Normally always done before Christmas, whole reason why we get it done

First time in 15 years waiting this long

They are the only game in town, I called Bruce’s market and they told me they no longer custom smoke fish and to contact saint jeans as they have drop of locations in the lowermainland.

We no longer custom process fish, We recommend St.Jeans Cannery and Smokehouse. They are Nanaimo based but have drop of depots in the Vancouver area.

Thank you,

Greg/Bruce's Market

Last edited:
My Cousin dropped off 1st order of 25lbs of filets and got back 7lbs and it was $145 salmon candy that works out to about $20 a lb. Dropped off 2nd order and it was 43lbs and got 26lbs back at $252 and it worked out to $9.50. Can't figure out how they get these prices, and you get back less than half of filets that shouldn't have any waste. Anyway, they won't be dropping any off there this year.

My Cousin dropped off 1st order of 25lbs of filets and got back 7lbs and it was $145 salmon candy that works out to about $20 a lb. Dropped off 2nd order and it was 43lbs and got 26lbs back at $252 and it worked out to $9.50. Can't figure out how they get these prices, and you get back less than half of filets that shouldn't have any waste. Anyway, they won't be dropping any off there this year.

There is so many variables that it’s hard to tell if this is bad or normal.

The reports I got from friends who had salmon smoked and canned at St. Jeans this year were all positive. The only complaint was it took too long to finish the job.

The reports I got from friends who had salmon smoked and canned at St. Jeans this year were all positive. The only complaint was it took too long to finish the job.
They had staffing problems like every other business, then they couldn’t hire full staff until mid July because the regulations. Then they got snowed under by fish.

They also processed a ton of fish for all the bands.

I’m personally ok with the quality of my fish

I picked up my order today. 87 half pound sacks of candy. 40 cans. I'm pretty happy with everything other then how long it took. I did the half pound so this year vs the full pound.

I did the half pound so this year vs the full pound.
The manager of the Campbell River depot talked me into doing that last time and she was right it's an easier size to handle/distribute as gifts and doesn't cost that much more.

Back