St Jean's Cannery Schedule

Got the call from St Jean's, my lox are ready so I went there and pick them up.
Dropped of 55 lb of fillets and received 36.8lb back, 68 X 1/2lb packages.

When I dropped the fish off at St Jean's, they said it would be 9-10 wks. it's been 7.5 wks. for the lox.
But the salmon for canning I dropped off (at the same time as the lox order) will not be ready for pick up for another week+.
So overall, they are close to their estimated schedule they gave me in Aug. Nice to get it sooner than later.

bagels with lox and cream cheese tomorrow.

Attachments

• 2022 lox.jpg
    2022 lox.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 36
Had a buddy who dropped off his fish back in early August able to pick up his lox. Turns out he had a fraction of what was dropped off when he went to pick it up. Will give them credit in that they are trying to rectify the situation.

I may have a difficult discussion with a processor in Tofino when I head over this weekend. The amount they have as a yield seems awfully low. We dropped off 18 fish with the loins cut in half. 4 loins per fish would equate to 72 loins. Cut in half we should have 144 pieces and they are saying there is about 2.5 of the typical styrofoam coolers ready to go. That seems awfully low to me but will update next week.

Have had them do fish twice this year and both times have been a **** show.

Had a buddy who dropped off his fish back in early August able to pick up his lox. Turns out he had a fraction of what was dropped off when he went to pick it up. Will give them credit in that they are trying to rectify the situation.

I may have a difficult discussion with a processor in Tofino when I head over this weekend. The amount they have as a yield seems awfully low. We dropped off 18 fish with the loins cut in half. 4 loins per fish would equate to 72 loins. Cut in half we should have 144 pieces and they are saying there is about 2.5 of the typical styrofoam coolers ready to go. That seems awfully low to me but will update next week.

I had West Pacific do my 9 tuna into half loins and they charged me $555. It was 120lbs of whole fish. They gave me 70 lbs back but my bellies are nowhere to be found as of yet. I didn't look hard but also didn't notice any flat bags when I threw them cooler. I'll never have fish processed for me again. I was forced to this year because of the last minute trip and no ferry room to bring my truck and cooler with me.

There’s something to be said about doing everything yourself. I think it’s just part of fishing to know how to process it yourself. And get to try new recipes to see what you like. Doubt that canneries care to give you back your exact fish ever. All you can hope for is that you get roughly the same amount back

There’s something to be said about doing everything yourself. I think it’s just part of fishing to know how to process it yourself. And get to try new recipes to see what you like. Doubt that canneries care to give you back your exact fish ever. All you can hope for is that you get roughly the same amount back
Just got the cold smoke adapter for the Bradley so I’m gonna give that a go this week and see how it goes!

Paid 2 bucks a pound head on for Hardy boys to process my lings.

Worth every penny, filleted, flash frozen and vacuumed pack in 2.5 pound packs.

Picked up the next morning

Doubt that canneries care to give you back your exact fish ever.

That’s what I’m wondering do they keep everyone’s fish labeled though the whole canning and smoking process and give them exact fish back.

Or do they just say okay x persons driped of two sockeye weighing a total of 12 pounds and we know that’s about 14 cans of salmon so they give you that.

Paid 2 bucks a pound head on for Hardy boys to process my lings.

Worth every penny, filleted, flash frozen and vacuumed pack in 2.5 pound packs.

Picked up the next morning
That's more like what I was expecting to be paying.

I had West Pacific do my 9 tuna into half loins and they charged me $555. It was 120lbs of whole fish. They gave me 70 lbs back but my bellies are nowhere to be found as of yet. I didn't look hard but also didn't notice any flat bags when I threw them cooler. I'll never have fish processed for me again. I was forced to this year because of the last minute trip and no ferry room to bring my truck and cooler with me.

You're fortunate as he usually doesn't accept tuna. Your yield is WAY higher than ours. We brought in 165 lbs of head off and gutted and they are saying we have about a 40% yield.

West Pacific is very good at not giving bellies back. I had to start asking for them as they get smoked and sold. Very good product though.

Last edited:
You're fortunate as he usually doesn't accept tuna. Your yield is WAY higher than ours. We brought in 165 lbs of head off and gutted and they are saying we have about a 40% yield.

West Pacific is very good at not giving bellies back. I had to start asking for them as they get smoked and sold. Very good product though.
Now I have to go take a good look at it. I specifically asked for all the bellies in one bag. Our guides brother is the manager there. I was happy that he was able to drop them off after hours so I didn't want to make a stink about it.

Unfortunately that outfit that took over the Trilogy fish location is a mere shell of what the original company was in quality and customer service.
My last few years of guiding I switched to West Pacific even though their location wasn’t as handy

To be fair has anyone actually tested what their yield is on something like loxs or smoke salmon. Just cutting the skins off and brown fat off of a fillet takes a decent amount of weight off, then it loses more moisture and shrinks when smoked.

is that legal?

I am not 100% sure that is what happens but salmon always comes back with no bellies but my wife does buy some of the smoked usually on our day of departure at the retail outlet.

Just a suspicion that may have no merit.

Surprisingly got our St Jeans smoked tuna back after only 2 months....I was expecting ours in December.

Picked up the rest of our fish (tuna) in Tofino last weekend when I was over. We were told 10 days and it took close to 9 weeks. Last time I had fish done after fishing tuna with @Aces Trilogy did a great job. The new place/owners seem like they cut the fish with a lawn mower. I know they cut it frozen with a saw and cutting it fresh makes a big difference as to what the loins look like. I have pieces that are not even enough for a dinner for one.

Not an expert but cut a loin and cut it in half....simple enough? Also I certainly don't think we got our entire yield back. We left 16 fish (I thought it was 18 but was incorrect)....16 fish should have 64 loins. Cut those in half and we should have 128 nice looking portions of tuna. I would say we have about 80 decent portions with the rest of it being tiny pieces basically looking like scrap. Super thin, small chunks....nothing to do with searing a super thin piece of tuna that would barely make a slider sized sandwich. $800+ later and this is the third disappointing experience with this outfit.

If over there use West Pacific Seafoods even though he doesn't normally accept tuna....see if you can pre arrange. I would happily pay a premium to have him do it. He has processed all of our fish aside from tuna over the years and he has done a great job.

Well last time i used them was for indian candy ohhh about 20 years ago ... and i sent in perfect WHITE spring filetsts (when I was guiding in knight inlet)no fins or belly bones perfect flat vaccum sealed filets with nothing to trim...... was like 80 lbs worth I got back like 18 lbs of product, phoned them up and said theres been a mistake... Oh I dont think so sir ...well can you explain why I have only 18 lbs when I did all the trimming and bones and white spring???
well sir the wastage and shrinkage.... HHHMMM well can you explain why I have got red spring in with my order???. that was the last time I EVER used them...
thet are a great company dont get me wrong but was rather dissapointed

Back