squid ?

• Thread starter Thread starter BOJANGLE
  • Start date Start date
B

BOJANGLE

The post about baby lobster reminded me about a "squid" on top of the prawn traps the other day...looks like a baby octopus and shoots out a brown cloud when it dives back down.....is this a squid ?
are they eatable ??

Probably was a baby octopus.We get them quite regular in prawn traps.I've kept them and eaten them but nothing to get excited about.
They are great as halibut bait but I personally think they have little personalities and are kinda cute.I prefer to let them go.

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

I have tried them for hali with no luck was told by a buddy of mine that they are a differnt species than the big pacific octopus so I just let them go all the time maybe someone knows what they are?

Wolf

They are likely baby octopus. Leave 'em be unless you know how to prepare them the RIGHT way..otherwise you're totally wasting it.

Ugh i forget what they are called. It may be the same as we caught in a drag around bamfield and they were supposably the worlds smallest octopus. Only abour 4 inches or so. If not its probaly just a small giant pacific. What colour was it? White more likely a squid but i couldnt see them crawling on a net as they swim not really crawl.

We get small octopus in the traps regularly. They are quite red in color. I think that color relates to the type of bottom. I've tryed them for hali bait also but no luck. I think you need a big one so you can cut it in strips. The white color of there flesh seems to really glow in the water.
Yote got a huge one the other day. 15lb ish with a 6' wingspan. Gonna try it for hali bait.

The other day one trap had lots of prawn shells and 1/2 eaten prawns. We figure it was an octopus that got out before getting to the top. Imagine how many of your prawns they can eat when they are cooped up in your trap!!

Tips.

Edited by - tips up on 04/13/2006 14:49:43

Now I don't have to buy any Hali bait for the next while. That octapus had seven prawns in and around it's beak getting ready to keep feasting. The sucker decided not to let go of the trap as I hauled him in as he was sitting on top of it. I would gues he was about 20 lbs.

We use the octopus out of a jar (i think they are pickled) on Swiftsure and do great with them. Last year we used spreader bars with herring and octopus and just killed them. We limited everyday with good size. The advatage to the octupus was that it is tuff as hell and not ever the dogfish were able to get it off the hooks. So ever if you lost the herring you still had bait. We also put a little fish oil on the bait.

"never lost a small one"

Joey B.

Back