Squid Fishing

Tips Up

There is a bit of conversation in some fishing reports about squid fishing or squid spawn and my kid really wants to go target some squid so I thought I would start a thread. I don't know much about it but keen to give it a go.
Any info of where, when and how is appreciated. I'm good to fish from dock or boat. just need to figure out they rest.
I'd like to find them in Sooke, Sidney or Brentwood ideally. But I do make it to Bamfield and Renfrew a couple of times a year also.

Thanks!

Opal squid are fun to catch! I've had some luck using those glow-in-the-dark jigs, but I'm no expert. Maybe try asking at local bait shops for more specific advice?

. If you have a boat people have caught them out of Sooke but last report was from years ago and the guy who was telling me was on a friends boat.

Bamfield they are around the corner in pachena and K... Bay. Ukee government dock. Reports are a week or two old and its killing me, I'm working on my boat trailer and would love to go this weekend if there were still reports. How olds your son, mines 7 and daughters 4, maybe we could hook up for squid 🦑 mission!

So you could make the run from Renfrew on a nice day to pachena Bay. Also check out Brendan moorisons YouTube video in Tofino.

Thanks for replies. I bought some jigs to have handy. I don't think the how is too hard. Starting to figure out some wheres. Still dialing in the when. I fish Bamfield a couple of times a year but seem to miss the opportunities. Ukee seems to be the spot right now but a long way to go for squid. We caught some lings in Saanich in earlier this year that were spitting up squid so have noted that but had no jigs on board. I'll keep logging the details and hope to put it together as the dots line up.

Kailc my son is 14 now. Fishing addict. He has a mission to catch as many species as possible. He likes to research and target new species and loves what he calls a shore lunch by eating something he caught that day. Likes to harvest mussels, clams, oysters, codfish... Right now want to catch some calamari. He likes to salmon fish also but thinks it's too easy. LOL.
We had a good fish fry last night.

opal squid are around in comox. lots of the boats have ink stains on them from when the squid jet out of the water, usually while running away from something..

best luck ive had was with a cast net, but they can be caught with a glow herring jig. add a small salmon jig with a treble hook or stingers for some extra hooking luck

. If you have a boat people have caught them out of Sooke but last report was from years ago and the guy who was telling me was on a friends boat.

Bamfield they are around the corner in pachena and K... Bay. Ukee government dock. Reports are a week or two old and its killing me, I'm working on my boat trailer and would love to go this weekend if there were still reports. How olds your son, mines 7 and daughters 4, maybe we could hook up for squid 🦑 mission!

So you could make the run from Renfrew on a nice day to pachena Bay. Also check out Brendan moorisons YouTube video in Tofino.
My kid would be into squid fishing too. Too bad they don't show up off victoria waterfront. I'd be up for a group trip in one boat or multiple boats if there was someone who knew where/how to get them.

My kid would be into squid fishing too. Too bad they don't show up off victoria waterfront. I'd be up for a group trip in one boat or multiple boats if there was someone who knew where/how to get them.
Ive heard Sidney gov dock has had squid in the past. Fish evenings around lights if it's lit up.

We found some at the Salspring government dock, under the lights, years ago. I think it was first week of July. The seals were chasing them around so it was hard to miss.

Ive heard Sidney gov dock has had squid in the past. Fish evenings around lights if it's lit up.
I know they sometimes show up there. Heard they were biting one time years ago and we raced out with gear and night.... not a single squid. I think they come in periodically but only my Pilipino friends seem to have a 6th sense on when or not they are in hahaha

Back