Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

I find if it's a nice day there is usually wind. Find A rainy/dreary day and you will probably have no wind... Unless its a storm.

Right on with that observation GDW. And if it is a nice day (not foggy) you have to go out early since the big winds usually arrive well before noon!!

I forgot to mention my name GDW is short for "God Damn Wind". I find myself saying that a lot when trying to plan a fishing trip on the sourh island - especially for Hali this past spring. I work full time and have a smaller boat so I had to find a weekend day with good hali tides, minimal wind AND not have other family commitments.

I Managed to get out a few times but just as often prime days were cancelled due to wind predictions.

Wait for couple of weeks of not being able to go fishing due to high winds.
15-20knots wont seem that bad

take care

Was out yesterday and it seemed everyone got fish got a couple of nice ones along with some hatchery coho ...YODAY well thats a diferent story know of only 3 charter guys who got fish just an off day (im thinking the whales may have passed thru)??????
See what tommorow brings and yes it was windy i the am then was clam near tide change

wolf

We had one decent Spring on off the Bedfords, lost it at back of boat. Motored over to Jurasic Park for some flounder. Dbl Header right off the bat, 70,45 and a chicken to finish off the day. Cold and Sloppy water! A few nice crab in the mix of a pile of females.

Got out off Possession and trap shack around 10:30 for about five hours. One shaker, 2 released coho, 2 keeper coho, 1 spring, 5 no stick strikes. No lure colour or flasher or depth was a winner. 30, 45, 80 ft

Got out today with a hatchery buddy and his family and had a great day. Boated 4 springs up to 22lbs and 2 hatchery coho. We must of had hatchery karma, the 4 springs we boated were all hatchery as well. It was a bit windy, but fishable. We lost some and lots of short biters.
Out in the AM and lets see what tomorrow brings for wind and fish:)

Hoping to get out tomorrow, doesn't sound great out there? Regardless, we're taking some flatlanders from Edmonton out, hopefully we get into some.

Out today the weather was much better and fishing for us was not as good as the day before. A lot of short bites and then gone. A lot more coho around today, we got 3 hatchery coho and another hatchery spring around 22lbs. It is just great to get out there and fish. :)

Well got to start by saying Fishflys luck may have rubbed off on me as we started the day yesterday with a double header of coho and both were hatchery.....LOL thanks bud still waiting for my 2 bits though LOL
As for springs chipped away at it and managed to get 4 high and low teens before the winds picked up again.

Then notice the engine running a little rough so pulled a few plugs back at dock oh no a a bit of water so already know what that means time for new manifolds got 1 side on already just need a gasket for the other side as I already had the manifolds on hand ready to go was trying to get another season out of the old ones no luck..... ....sat on the boat drinking beer and eating pizza on a nice sunny evening kinda goes with working on engines LOL LOL

Wolf

I hear Sookes been windy lately. Any sense for how this weekend's weather will be in particular wind?

Out from 12-3, fished Possesion, one Large Sockeye on Bait and one good hit at 60Ft. on a Spoon that ran for about 30 seconds and was gone, Good Day Driller

Back at er tommorow all fixed up and ready to go....

Wolf

Back