Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Boss says i can keep the new ride if i sell the double eagle and the tinny already in the yard.... Not a bad saturday with a buch of fish topped off with a 42.7 and a 29.6.... too bad we went from hero to zero today just hoping everyone else in the derby had the same kinda luck! Great time Luna! It was his roll that got both big fish... we just got the fun and the bragging rights cause it was our turn!

Well done addicted! What kind of boat is it? We started late at 11 this morning trying to fish through low slack and into the flood. 1 bite with long distance release at O'Brian, tried possesion at the beginning of the flood and then moved west to Otter at around 2:30. We managed to scrape 1 teenager off of 2nd rock but that was it for us. I heard 1st thing this morning at the trap was the ticket. I guess the early bird deserves the worm!
T2

Secretary, Otter, Possession sucked today....yesterday wasn't so good either. For all the effort....not a whole lot to show for it. Pedder Bay wasn't so hot. What a GONG show it was with all the boats at Secretary and Possession. Sheringham had a few fish, however, I wasn't there. The Trap had a few springs, however, if you weren't one of the lucky ones, it wasn't happening for most. Congrats to the Bite-Me Derby winner... fat fish......nice fish. Was fun at the firehall when they announced the winner of the bottom fish category...LOL...... 2 pound rockfish! lol.

Hey Magician, did you make the trip over from Van? I think your an ex QCL or Coast Pacific guy; Yo Mama and I are out tomorrow, call us on 72; would love to put a face to the name:)

Hey Magician, did you make the trip over from Van? I think your an ex QCL or Coast Pacific guy; Yo Mama and I are out tomorrow, call us on 72; would love to put a face to the name:)

Hey Luna...

I did come over from Van. Got over on Friday night..and left the firehall this afternoon at 3:30 to catch the ferry back. Saw you claim your prize. Wish I could have stayed...but duty calls as they say........ Nope...not ex-QCL or Coast Pacific...but hope to get over again soon and say hi......

CONGRATS To you guys awsome to see and to think Luna wasnt going to go in it!!!!!!!!!! Kevin when and if you ever do sell that double eagle we should have a party as I doubt you will ever sell it its a great looking lawn ornament !!!!!!!!! guess when hell freezes over .. LOL LOL
BTW the pic on FB is soooooooo appropriate beside a fire hydrant

BTW sooo proud of you guys.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks bud. You shoulda seen the look on jo's face when I brought another boat home! Priceless!!! And I knew you would get a kick outa that picture of me and the hydrant! Lol

Awesome Pac! Congrats! Can you do it again though coming Sat? The girls count on you!!! Lol

Where is the photo of the winning fish? Can't find it!?

Yo Mamma has it so maybe he will post it... I still can't figure out how to do it on the site.... Too much time fishing and not enough time on the computer i guess... lol Sure hope this fishing stays hot! It's been a really fun summer!

I second that it definitely sucked out there today. Everywhere I wanted to fish for springs was a gong show. Hung out at Sec/Possession for a few hours in the morning then moved out in search of sox.

That sucked too.... Just couldn't find them ( sure miss last year)...... Got some limit of pinks, and called it a day. Another full moon for the logbook LOL.

Smiley66
Every weekend is a gong show Sooke/Renny, with the abundance of fish(pinks) everyone wants a crack at em!!! Derbys are another story(i won't go there) they start early in summer-fall every weekend big/small take your pick they have em all.Ramps/parking/honey holes are clogged...maybe take up shore casting or wait for winter when fishing is back to a more slower pace ;)...sammy

Never posted images before so lets see how this works

IMG_1275_2.jpg

It was good out there today 5 springs for the day biggest was 28.. it was ok for weather as well starting thursday or so wth the big morning tides should be a bit better but still and awsome year so far lots and lots of fish

Fished from Otter to Sheringham, two nice Springs between Otter and Muir, first at 66 on the rigger, second at 90, both on anchovie, Otter was quiet in the Morning, fished with the Ebb to Sheringham, coupla pinks, water was awesome and got buddy his biggest of the year 26Lbs, other was 15 Good Day Driller

Ok, bit of a desperate plea here and you have no idea how much rough luck there has been over the last few months! I just found out today, that the guy that was going to take me out fishing for the consultants derby this Saturday got in a serious bike accident in Whistler 3 weeks ago and is still in hospital in Vancouver. Bottom line, don't have a boat for the derby I help organize! I was supposed to be going with another guy from CRD. So I ask if there is any locals out there with an 18' or bigger willing to take me and 1 other out for the derby, we will cover your costs, you will get a free ticket for the event and eligible to win all the prizes, good grub, free beer, live band etc etc It's a 1 day derby with weigh-in closing 2:30. We both have our own gear and know what we are doing so no babysitting required.

If you can help, drop me a PM, or send an email to deewar25@hotmail.com

You can check out what we are all about at http://www.consultantsinvitational.ca/

thx much
dave

Have not got out much this year but did manage to get out around 10:00 am today with a friend and his nine year old daughter who had a blast catching lots of pinks, a sockeye and clipped coho. On her previous trip in the boat she caught her first Chinook; lots of screams and giggles today.

We deliberately targeted sox’s for a while but only managed one and possibly lost another. I am thinking most of the run is now past Sooke.
We also managed a 26 lber which she spotted when the rod was pounding and we were distracted removing the hook from a pink. Stacked 4 rods all with plastic in the fog off the harbour and my buddy lost a 2nd big Chinook on the nostalgia rod (Peetz trolling rod and woody off the rigger); he hates that old school rod and reel.

When the current is very strong and your concentrating on holding a course in the fog/watching the radar and the super strong current makes it harder to keep a good consistent role on the chovy and large numbers of pinks are steeling bait or taking off the tail unnoticed, the newer double glow and UV plastics have been working well for us on big springs and they are less speed sensitive and require much less frequent checking than bait (perhaps I am getting lazy as I get older) so more time in the water. Fished them more with success this year than any other, especially when stacking or fishing deep – a hint for Englishman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, bit of a desperate plea here and you have no idea how much rough luck there has been over the last few months! I just found out today, that the guy that was going to take me out fishing for the consultants derby this Saturday got in a serious bike accident in Whistler 3 weeks ago and is still in hospital in Vancouver. Bottom line, don't have a boat for the derby I help organize! I was supposed to be going with another guy from CRD. So I ask if there is any locals out there with an 18' or bigger willing to take me and 1 other out for the derby, we will cover your costs, you will get a free ticket for the event and eligible to win all the prizes, good grub, free beer, live band etc etc It's a 1 day derby with weigh-in closing 2:30. We both have our own gear and know what we are doing so no babysitting required.

If you can help, drop me a PM, or send an email to deewar25@hotmail.com

You can check out what we are all about at http://www.consultantsinvitational.ca/

thx much
dave

covered and taken care of, now to win :)

Wow, record return of Sockeye last year and now a spring salmon bonanza. Limits every day now for some time with the largest last week going 36 pounds. Today another 6 fish limit with a 41 pounder topping the lot. Don't know how long this will last but enjoy it while you can.

Back