Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

I have found that metal clips will make it colder.. Try with out the snubber. How much zinc is on the boat?

Lipripper I have PMed you to avoid me violating protocol by continuing this conversation on a reports thread. Thanks for all your help and advice guys. This is a fantastic forum and I have learned so much in the year I have been on here.
English

Ya got our springs and one sock then went looking for the rest. Couldn't find any more sox. lots of pinks out there though.

Englishman,

I wouldn't get to caught up with the voltage. I wont go into it but I would focus on the main points. Fishing the right spots, 50-90ft throw on a Hot Spot Flasher, 6ft to a anchovy, and troll about 2mph. You spend the time on the water, you will start to see patterns. If all else fails, book a charter with one of the Sooke boys on here specify that you want to learn. Prob cheaper in the long run.

Yup, what Yo mama said.

You are going to go crazy over thinking things.
Fish aren't smart but they are very instinctive.
Understand where and when to find them and what triggers them to bite and you will start to catch them.

We need to start an Englishman Thread so we can follow his progress. Good fun following so far. LOL!

Tips

Lipripper I have PMed you to avoid me violating protocol by continuing this conversation on a reports thread. Thanks for all your help and advice guys. This is a fantastic forum and I have learned so much in the year I have been on here.
English

It is a godd forum isnt it/ Lots of good people contributing as much as they can in a willing way.Yeh and me stuck up in Kelowna,get me outa here

It is a godd forum isnt it/ Lots of good people contributing as much as they can in a willing way.Yeh and me stuck up in Kelowna,get me outa here

Better hurry it up Otter..... Been a great year so far!

I wouldn't get to caught up with the voltage. I wont go into it but I would focus on the main points. Fishing the right spots, 50-90ft throw on a Hot Spot Flasher, 6ft to a anchovy, and troll about 2mph.

Yes..........
Through the PM's and stuff me thinks you are trying too hard, or doing one little thing wrong.... We need to get out there and have a look. Offer stands

Fished solo for the first time today. First worked the boundary line from Possession across looking for springs and staying out of the pack to make things a little less hectic if/when a fish hits. Got a 8lb pink. Then nothing but weeds and current pushing me around, so I headed out to the tide lines to target sox. Couldn't find them but hit another pink and 2 nice hatch coho. Saw some more hatch coho at the tables too. First fish I netted but I found that a pain in the butt so the next 3 I just pulled up and into the splash well. I have a low transom so was quite easy. Not sure I would try that with a big spring though. A little bumpy out there but fun. Only took 2 hours to land 4. Missed a couple as well.

Guys watch out. There are a few clipped sox out there as well now - Cultus Lake sox - and they should be returned unharmed. These are the only clipped sox on the coast. They can be easily confused with coho if not paying close attention. Please be wary.

See you guys all on Saturday and Sunday. I'll be plyin' Sooke waters for some fun! ooh yeah...

Guys watch out. There are a few clipped sox out there as well now - Cultus Lake sox - and they should be returned unharmed. These are the only clipped sox on the coast. They can be easily confused with coho if not paying close attention. Please be wary.

I had read that there are clipped sockeye and made sure these were coho's. But, yeah, not sure that everyone out there is even aware that there are hatch sockeye and that they "should" go back. Unless of course they are gonna die, then I would probably keep and put towards my catch.

Anyone have a few tips on catching Sox's off of Sooke; depth of water column, depth fish caught at, how many tide lines out, general location etc.

Got to the dock today seems the neighbour lent his spot to someone who forgot to tie his stern:mad:...have #'s & boat name left a message so far no call!!!

...make it right sammy

Yup, what Yo mama said.

You are going to go crazy over thinking things.
Fish aren't smart but they are very instinctive.
Understand where and when to find them and what triggers them to bite and you will start to catch them.

We need to start an Englishman Thread so we can follow his progress. Good fun following so far. LOL!

Tips
LOL guys, LOL. Yes, I could start a thread and call it A Beginners Progress....The Long and Winding Road....... or something like that.......
Anyway I'll try the "not thinking too much" approach although I have done some of the anchovy/6 foot leader/2 knot approach already with little success. I am thinking (there I go again!) it is location/time&tide that I am not clued into. Guess I should put in more work to understand the patterns.
Thx Guys

Hatchery fish are meant to be bonked thats why they are hatch fish for the head return......if you dont take it the FN nets will i say keep them all as its our GIGHT to finally from GOD.... DFO

Wolf

The clipped sockeye are from the Cultus lake hatchery. That stock is still very small and DFO is specifically asking that those fish are released to help rebuild the stock.

Sure you can bonk it if you wish but why bother when you can keep wild sockeye and do a small part to rebuild the smaller fraser river stocks.

Hatchery fish are meant to be bonked thats why they are hatch fish for the head return......if you dont take it the FN nets will i say keep them all as its our GIGHT to finally from GOD.... DFO

Wolf

For once you are wrong, Wolfy! They actually breed those Cultus Lake sox to rebuilt the stock that was almost extinct. They clip them only to identify the artifically bred ones - so for science - not for your bonker! Lol
Watch out please. For once there seems a DFO project that actually makes sense - let's not destroy the last glimpse of hope!

Took my neighbour and his inlaws out today.
LMAO all morning watching them crank in pinks, geez i'm surprised the heads stayed attached.
Anyhow 20 to 35 feet was the magic depth today REAL SHORT on the flasher to release clip was the ticket.
Dan.

Ill tell you right now if I get one its getting bonked sorry to say what they have done to us... in the last 4 years .ie halibut/salmon.closures etc the list goes on and on I have never been sent anything regarding this run.
so as far as im concerned they have done more wrong than good now your going to tell me the FN people in there nets will throw them back GOOD luck on that one. that cuts into there selling of fish... you cant dispute that.TRUST me im all for protecting our future but they have PO me for so many years and the countless HOURS ive spent in meeting with these people, and ill still continue to fight for our cause!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for a report fishing is still good time to take little ones out to catch pinks springs were great today limit today all cookie cutters best fishing in a long time ... just simply great....

Attachments

• SOOKE SALMON 2011 115.jpg
    SOOKE SALMON 2011 115.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 120
Last edited by a moderator:
Back