SOOKE REPORT OCTOBER 2006

Any suggestions on tackle for shore casting off the rock points? Worth the time? Thanks!

I'm no expert but I cant' see that being worth the time right now, most fish are 70-150 feet deep. If you really wanted to try something maybe try the end of whiffin spit as there will be some sooke river fish passing by, but I'd say thats a long shot.

i remeber trying casting off the wiffin spit, didnt get anything, i would go during slack tide. because i was casting off the furthest point and my lure was getting pulled away by back eddies. good lures would be 3" 3XH white buzz bombs, gibbs minnow green/chrome

ya you wouldn't catch me trying that, but the deep water is close to the end of the spit and they do have to pass by that area to reach the river - worth a try if you're desperate for some fishing.

Sooke Reports Aug 2006
Read 27,845 times with 413 responses!

Guess it was time for a new thread. Bet that doesn't get beat till at least Aug 2007.

Waiting on the winter fishing to fire up in November. Good thing for hunting during the fishing lull.

Tips

Thanks for the info, i will be up there without a boat and would rather be casting than not so i may give it a try anyway. but appreciate the tips. wiffin spit it is.

Try Billings Spit :D(between harbour and basin)...Fish on the lee side from the tidal flow. ZZingers,Buzz bombs,Krocidiles,Tommack,Len thompson are some of the lures/spoons that are used. Above the bridge is fly fishing only,(freshwater licence too!)Watch for them surfacing and cast in front.;)not too close to spook the school.Waders are good the water is cold[:I]Good Luck !!

How come our other sooke report got locked????????moderators hugh?????

Wolf

I would guess the other thread was locked beace it was 26 pages long and no longer August.

Going out tomorw, going to fish the trough out of beecher bay for feeder springs. I have been told there are chum there as well. If the weather holds we'll go to the 2nd or 3rd tide lines foor coho.

Anybody been out around church rock, bedfords, sooke basin, any reports of chum, coho, winter springs?

Went out today from 8 am to 10:15. 2 small winter springs (released), no coho or chum. I started off Secretary and went west as far as the log sort. No coho for me.
T2

Went out yesterday fishing 400' off Church. Managed one winter spring in the hour or so on the water. Saw a few other boats getting fish too. All in all a good day.

Was out off of Church yesterday and today. Got 4 winters yesterday and 4 today plus 1 small coho. One of the springs today was 8lbs!
Nice size for this time of year. Two of the springs the coho were clipped.

Isnt it funny how we all get excited about an 8 lb winter spring when during the summer we well some of us would throw that back. hopefully we get some good winters in this year been hearing good numbers every where from fellow guides from whirl bay to the bank (constance) hunting mode as of now ill fish later on after hunting of to sask. in 4 weeks to chase white tails. keep up the good work!

Wolf

Back