Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Hey Tsquared,

First off great post. Just wondering since you said "we had our wild fish" just wondering if you are up to speed with the current regs? As the daily limit of 2 chinook salmon, wild or hatchery marked, of which only 1 may be greater than 67 cm. Minimum size limit is 45 cm in length. Regardless, you were all legal as you had your 2 over 67cm but it doesn't matter if they were wild or not.

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong. And T2 if that comment was not what you were implying then forget what I said. Cheers
I guess it would have been more accurate to say we had our 2 fish over 67 cm, rather than wild.
T2

image.jpg

Nice early morning out ar Sherringham, fished from 6-12:30 and took home our limits. 18, 15, 13, and 11 with another teen released before so we could keep fishing. Great fighting fish, but they all came on pretty soft and then fought hard. 18 took a good 10 min to boat. All on anchovie, all with oki jdf baitheads(peanut butter...or something glow...can't remember the name), all but one higher in the column. Purple glow jellyfish on one side, something green on the other side.

Hooked up a monster fish that charged out with momentum, but didn't stick. Heartbreaker, cause she was big....at least high 20's.

All fish had food in there bellies, most tiny baitfish, one had shrimp or krill...it was pretty cooked.

After how slow it was yesterday, today was steady and awesome!

From the ramp chatter, sounded like a good day for lots of guys out there, lots picking up their limits.

FISH are coming in again guys time to get out beautiful weather and sooke is good seeing more and more action ...Guys today had a good time got 2 nice springs today and lost a couple thats fishing but man flat flat flat...

good luck Wolf

Skunked in Sooke. 4 times in a row this week (6 skunks total in last 14 days)....and getting desperate! So much for beginner's luck...

I could use some advice from anyone familiar with the Trailer Parke/Otter Point/Gordon's Beach area. I've been out in my kayak 4 times in the last week between 7am and noon trolling around this area for all I'm worth with no hits, nothing. It's like I've been trolling fish repellent!

I've tried depths of 40-80 feet using the manual DR and tried 3.5 Coyote (Army Truck), 4.0 Coyote (Cop Car), 6.0 White Gibbs spoon and Andrew P's sandlance imitation spoon. I've tried different speeds in and around 2 kt (+ or - 1 kt)....today averaged right on 2kt zig zagging back and forth towards shore and center of Strait in water between 65 and 150 ft.

I've seen a few other fish caught, though not very many, so they seem to be out there...

Just hoping to break the curse!

Cheers,

C_J

Skunked in Sooke. 4 times in a row this week (6 skunks total in last 14 days)....and getting desperate! So much for beginner's luck...

I could use some advice from anyone familiar with the Trailer Parke/Otter Point/Gordon's Beach area. I've been out in my kayak 4 times in the last week between 7am and noon trolling around this area for all I'm worth with no hits, nothing. It's like I've been trolling fish repellent!

I've tried depths of 40-80 feet using the manual DR and tried 3.5 Coyote (Army Truck), 4.0 Coyote (Cop Car), 6.0 White Gibbs spoon and Andrew P's sandlance imitation spoon. I've tried different speeds in and around 2 kt (+ or - 1 kt)....today averaged right on 2kt zig zagging back and forth towards shore and center of Strait in water between 65 and 150 ft.

I've seen a few other fish caught, though not very many, so they seem to be out there...

Cheers,

C_J

buy yourself a pack of anchovies (bait), and teaserheads or krippled anchovy holder of your choice.....use heavy banana weight......start paddling, try go down from 40 to 55 ft close to the shores in between 3rd and 2 rd rock at Otter Point...at crack of dawn or night...you might get something big hit.

I had a long release of a 25 pound spring (very close to be netted) at Otter Pt the other day on anchovy at very slow speed. good luck. lots of bait boiling over there.

Another 6-noon skunk show. One strike on a purlple haze teaser and purple haze flasher at 76ft aldrige. Decided to try and do some jigging and had a spring slam my perkins while jigging at 120 ft in 150ft of water off Cryke. Coulden't get a good hook set.

-KK

Was better out west but not great. I had 4 hits today and saw a handful caught. The first came off before setting the hook, the last was a plump wild coho. The two in between? Double header of teenage springs. Landed both kept one. Before my gear was back in the water some whales came through and probably dined on the fish I tossed back.

Tried for a couple more hours but before the whales I was marking bait and fish, after the whales still found the bait but no fish. I saw no action after the whales (besides my coho) but there was a bite just before they got there as if the salmon knew they needed the extra energy.

Nice change in scenery from my home waters off victoria but very similar result to my recent outings there. Back to work tomorrow so the weekday crowd just got one thinner.

buy yourself a pack of anchovies (bait), and teaserheads or krippled anchovy holder of your choice.....use heavy banana weight......start paddling, try go down from 40 to 55 ft close to the shores in between 3rd and 2 rd rock at Otter Point...at crack of dawn or night...you might get something big hit.

I had a long release of a 25 pound spring (very close to be netted) at Otter Pt the other day on anchovy at very slow speed. good luck. lots of bait boiling over there.

Thanks fishspoon for the advice! Anchovies are next on the menu I guess.

Thanks fishspoon for the advice! Anchovies are next on the menu I guess.

I don't know the area down there but I do fish bait from a kayak in Baja and of course from a powered fishing boat here. I would go with a 6 oz banana weight ,6ft leader or whatever you think you can handle and an anchovy head or a jughead with a 51/2 to 6 inch chovy. Let the anchovy sink while paddling very slowly to achieve maximum depth-then pick-up the speed for 30 feet or so and then slow down-the kayak rendition of motor mouching- very effective in Baja in a kayak and see no reason it won't work here. Good luck!!

Cheers,

C_J

Troll anchovi inbetween 2nd and first rock! I got a couple there in my yak end of May beginning of June. But nothing since the Algee bloom. I'm thinking we need more fish to come into sooke water. I don't see much action anytime I've been out. Should pick up soon!!!!!

Made the mistake of running to racerocks this morning thinking the current would slow down enough to hali fish. Nope...at least not slow enough to fish before we left at 10. Skipped back to Sooke in the fog, stopping to troll past Whirl Bay and Trap shack (no fish, but saw one being caught at the shack) and anchored again near the bluffs. Dragged anchor in the wind for a few hours with the only action being a dog fish.

My son and I fished otter for 3 hours and saw a few fish caught. Decided to go to Sheringham and after an hour had a double header. Mine ended up snapping my rod in half and lost the fish , but my 12 year old boy landed a 27 lber. It was our first salmon fish of the summer and we had a great day!

Thanks spring fever! I've got a downrigger set up, so that will help get the depth. The stop-and-go should give some good action!

Thanks Hillier420...OK...anchovies or bust! I'm new to the area, so don't yet know what 1st, 2nd and 3rd rock are but I have trolled all around the point as well as E and W around the corner... Let me know if you head out there and want an ally on the water...I don't live far from G. Beach.

Last edited by a moderator:
CJ if you see me out there say HI ill toss you a few anchovies already brined with the special bluewolf sauce on them LOL you will just have to insert the chovie to your "roll" sorry wont set it up for you LOL

Good luck Wolf

My son and I fished otter for 3 hours and saw a few fish caught. Decided to go to Sheringham and after an hour had a double header. Mine ended up snapping my rod in half and lost the fish , but my 12 year old boy landed a 27 lber. It was our first salmon fish of the summer and we had a great day!

Well done! Better it broke down here than up in Nootka in a couple weeks. LV must have been grinning ear to ear :) I sure would have been.

CJ-I'll be at Otter Point tomorrow from about 10:30 on, looking for one of these.

You're welcome to join me and we'll try and find some fish.
BTW-Wolfie--does your "Blue Wolf special sauce" have any blue agave in it?! :D
T2

CJ if you see me out there say HI ill toss you a few anchovies already brined with the special bluewolf sauce on them LOL you will just have to insert the chovie to your "roll" sorry wont set it up for you LOL

Good luck Wolf

Will do, thanks Wolf! I'll be the guy floating around on a little piece of yellow tupperware...

Back