Some Detailed Info on How to Fish Nootka Sound

This is a really old thread. Look at the date of the first post. Funny coincidence is I was just looking at it yesterday, considering giving Nootka a try. Never been.

The marker is the fishing hotspots. Or are you talking about Bajo reef where it is pink line on top of green?

Ya Baja is one place that both colors are used. Also seems to color some of the small bays in either green or fluorescent yellow too. I like to do my homework before I go is all :)

Just look up salmon university on Google. everything you always wanted to know about everywhere at any time with any lure ...............

Been going for several years in August - The kings are getting smaller on average, but there's still a chance to nail a 35-40 which keeps us going back. We hit a triple header of biguns two years ago and lost them all.....not the best moment....but still came home with full limits. Critter Cove rocks!

Just got home from my first trip of the year to Nootka. Stayed at Critter Cove as we have for the past eight years. I studied the material at the beginning of this thread prior to my first trip back in 2008 which really helped me have a very successful trip with my then 14 year old son and 12 year old nephew. My thanks to MyEscape for the detail of his post. Have gotten to know the area fairly well over the years and really look forward to my time there. We came home yesterday with limits of Chinook, Halibut and Ling Cod. Nothing big, but great just the same. Heading back up on Sunday. And yes, Critter Cove really rocks!

Been going for several years in August - The kings are getting smaller on average, but there's still a chance to nail a 35-40 which keeps us going back. We hit a triple header of biguns two years ago and lost them all.....not the best moment....but still came home with full limits. Critter Cove rocks!

The Chinooks on average are shrinking coast wide. Maybe if DFO didn't allow the commercial enterprises to take all the bait fish out of the water they may be bigger.

Chinooks are not shrinking, instead the focus on hatchery fish are the 4 year springs, not the 7 year springs. Yes, to get big they must stay out a couple more years. Problem is the attrition each year is horrific. So to maximize return numbers, we release smolts from smaller fish. More survive, and the fishing is "better".

Drewski

Back