Smaller boat halibut fishing in port renfrew

Fishin

Hey fellas, going up to renfrew in August and bringing my 17’ hourston. I’ve fished there a few times before but on much larger boats on Swiftsure bank, definitely don’t plan on bringing my 17’er out there lol but was wondering if it’s worth bringing the hali rods and trying closer into shore, I am aware theres a few rcas but still looks like a few other spots closer to shore than Swiftsure not looking for anyone’s honey holes just curious as I’ve only ever seen people fishing in tight for salmon or out on Swiftsure but never in between. Cheers

Last edited:
Caught a decent Hali one time trolling salmon gear right in the mouth of the bay where it starts to drop off into deeper water. Closer to the left side when your looking out from shore. About 75’ deep in 90’ of water. Marked it here for you.

Attachments

• E143D31E-6F45-4199-8E09-C7CB8173F1FE.png
    E143D31E-6F45-4199-8E09-C7CB8173F1FE.png
    846 KB · Views: 159
youll be fine in a 17 foot boat depending on water conditions. Depending on boat, bring your rods for sure but harpoon attached to buoy and let it run until tired, cut gills, wait for a few mins again and bring it in dead. Don't think you need a big boat

Hey fellas, going up to renfrew in August and bringing my 17’ hourston. I’ve fished there a few times before but on much larger boats on Swiftsure bank, definitely don’t plan on bringing my 17’er out there lol but was wondering if it’s worth bringing the hali rods and trying closer into shore, I am aware theres a few rcas but still looks like a few other spots closer to shore than Swiftsure not looking for anyone’s honey holes just curious as I’ve only ever seen people fishing in tight for salmon or out on Swiftsure but never in between. Cheers
Pick your days, lots of spots in closer that hold Hali

Hope this paste works. Frank caught this just off Botanical area and had to drag it to shore. I'm sure someone here is old enough to still remember the details. I know it was still the good old days of fishing but just for fun you might find one close in.. He caught this on a hand line.

He told my dad about this and from that day my dad always said when you are on the boat keep away from the lines on he deck. You might get pulled in.

talk to John Wells

Others have mentioned a few good spots to try and even straight off the bell bouy. A few years ago there was a family vacationing that asked me a similar question about Halibut. I basically told him that there is a few taken every year when trolling the beach etc. I mentioned that I saw a SeaLion ripping a Halibut apart near the Bell Bouy a few years before. I ran into him later that day and he couldn’t wipe the smile off his face. Sure enough he was bouncing bottom just outside the bay and nailed one about 40lbs....lol. I caught one about 7 years ago fishing well inside the bay at East Point right along the kelp in about 40’ while trolling. I have always thought that they are in the bay a lot more than people think especially at certain times if the year. I’ll be out there most of July and August. Keep us posted on how you do.

WOW.....I found the photo of the that day.....says June 11th 2015......Geesh the kids are small! lol

Attachments

• East Point.jpg
    East Point.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Others have mentioned a few good spots to try and even straight off the bell bouy. A few years ago there was a family vacationing that asked me a similar question about Halibut. I basically told him that there is a few taken every year when trolling the beach etc. I mentioned that I saw a SeaLion ripping a Halibut apart near the Bell Bouy a few years before. I ran into him later that day and he couldn’t wipe the smile off his face. Sure enough he was bouncing bottom just outside the bay and nailed one about 40lbs....lol. I caught one about 7 years ago fishing well inside the bay at East Point right along the kelp in about 40’ while trolling. I have always thought that they are in the bay a lot more than people think especially at certain times if the year. I’ll be out there most of July and August. Keep us posted on how you do.

WOW.....I found the photo of the that day.....says June 11th 2015......Geesh the kids are small! lol

That’s awesome buddy! Thanks for the info greatly appreciate it, I live out in sooke so I plan on doing lots of day trips as well up to renfrew throughout the season. Will definitely keep you updated!

Back