Maiden Halibut trip, Victoria area late May…

A-a-Ron

Hi all, I think it’s time for my first go at Halibut. Planning to spend 8-10 days at the cabin (Mayne Isl.) and wanna make the run and possibly even overnight to the Victoria area. I am mainly wondering what the timing will be like for late May, timing vs commercial season and if they get fished out by then, etc. If it’s worth the $300ish gas round trip.

Not looking for any honey holes, I got a good idea from reading past threads and looking at charts, structure, etc. got a couple spots in mind to try out. Plus that’s the fun of it anyways, figuring some of it out yourself. But if you wanna DM and trade some intel of course I’ll oblige ;)

It’s crazy I’ve never done this yet; I mostly fish Vancouver area and around the SGI in the summer months. I’ve only ever hooked into one Halibut in my life, on a guided trip in Rupert, but it was a beast around 100lb and was released. But with springs closed down, you can only hook a few lings before things get boring and I like a good adventure.

I’d even consider possibly picking someone up and taking ya for a day on the water if you show me the ropes. Cheers and tight lines.

In my opinion May is typically great Hali fishing here. Just be aware I think Outfitters Hali derby is May 27/28 so it will be a zoo out there.

Hi all, I think it’s time for my first go at Halibut. Planning to spend 8-10 days at the cabin (Mayne Isl.) and wanna make the run and possibly even overnight to the Victoria area. I am mainly wondering what the timing will be like for late May, timing vs commercial season and if they get fished out by then, etc. If it’s worth the $300ish gas round trip.

Not looking for any honey holes, I got a good idea from reading past threads and looking at charts, structure, etc. got a couple spots in mind to try out. Plus that’s the fun of it anyways, figuring some of it out yourself. But if you wanna DM and trade some intel of course I’ll oblige ;)

It’s crazy I’ve never done this yet; I mostly fish Vancouver area and around the SGI in the summer months. I’ve only ever hooked into one Halibut in my life, on a guided trip in Rupert, but it was a beast around 100lb and was released. But with springs closed down, you can only hook a few lings before things get boring and I like a good adventure.

I’d even consider possibly picking someone up and taking ya for a day on the water if you show me the ropes. Cheers and tight lines.
Every post you make must include pics of that sweet pod job you did.

its a really easy burn over to Vic harbour from Mayne island. Probly my favorite gulf island cruise hands down. Especially if you weave through the Sheep Island passage and miners channel. Cruising through the Spit is great too, lots of crab floats to dodge. Taking the sceinec route from mayne island to pedder is only about 45 miles. So on a calm day its only and hour and a half burn.

North of Discovery in Harrow Straight can be great, I got a derby winner 3-4 years ago. I just pick a depth I like and anchor up 250ish. Some guys fish the shipping lanes but not worth it to me.
The illusive Haro straight halibut.

Usually when its nice in the Fuca its blowing in the SOG and visa versa. If its blowing west in the fuca its usually calm once you turn the corner around discovery.

The illusive Haro straight halibut.

Usually when its nice in the Fuca its blowing in the SOG and visa versa. If its blowing west in the fuca its usually calm once you turn the corner around discovery.
If the weather is blowing in front of victoria during the derby, the shipping lane is packed! Some guys swear by fishing out there. Been there, done that, got the PTSD.

Yeah I do. Only ever dropped in river and bays, so deep will be a learning curve. From what I read I should prob have 400-500' of rope min and heavy up my chain a bit
If using the ring / scotsman anchor setup your chain needs to out weight your anchor. Or else it slips back through. Im sure theres many other threads you can resource on the costal anchoring dos and donts.

Yeah I do. Only ever dropped in river and bays, so deep will be a learning curve. From what I read I should prob have 400-500' of rope min and heavy up my chain a bit
Get someone with experience to help you the first time and maybe the 3-4th time. My friend almost killed himself and his buddies after he "learned" from me a couple times. Got the anchor line wrapped around the prop, was starting to take on water.... a good thing he listened to me about at least keeping a knife handy.

Yep drive around the scotsman, and always keep a knife handy. Everyone im sure does things a little bit their own way. I like to turn the boat broadside of the line once its up to the bouy and toss the line in the prawn hauler and if feeds it right into the bucket. This is also one reason I went to 3/8 polysteel rope, so it works in the hauler. Its Cheap and smaller in diameter and has way less drag in the water column, almost 4000 lbs breaking strength so plenty good enough for an achor rope.

Well this weekend doesn’t look to promising…

Attachments

• B1AB55C7-5550-41DD-8D33-16C52EFE8E8C.jpeg
    B1AB55C7-5550-41DD-8D33-16C52EFE8E8C.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 52
Idle curiosity here... does anyone drift fish for hali? Drift jigging is a thing for lings and rockfish, would it work for our other popular bottom fish? Obviously would need to dump the circle hooks in favour of heavy gauge J hooks. I've seen the occasional hali hit salmon lures trolled close to bottom, so they do seem capable of opportunist feeding like what drift jigging tries to trigger.

I see the guys down in Washington and Oregon doing it a lot. Just watched a YouTube video last night of them fishing for hali in 1000ft and they were drifting over a small pocket. If no fish, pull gear and drift again.

Idle curiosity here... does anyone drift fish for hali? Drift jigging is a thing for lings and rockfish, would it work for our other popular bottom fish? Obviously would need to dump the circle hooks in favour of heavy gauge J hooks. I've seen the occasional hali hit salmon lures trolled close to bottom, so they do seem capable of opportunist feeding like what drift jigging tries to trigger.
I do but not necessarily by choice. Clearly not as productive but I do get fish. I get bored sitting in one spot anyways.

Here's a sneaky tip. If you see a boat pull anchor early and head in, it may be a good idea to do a couple over where they were. Don't do this if they are still at anchor fishing, you may end up with some free cannon balls.

I see the guys down in Washington and Oregon doing it a lot. Just watched a YouTube video last night of them fishing for hali in 1000ft and they were drifting over a small pocket. If no fish, pull gear and drift again.
We did this with great success at Englefield Bay years ago, reposition after drifting off the preferred area.

Following the line of thought: why circle hooks? Those work fine for commercial long lining, but why for sport fishing when you're watching the gear anyway?

Back