Sidney Spit fishing suggestions needed pls?

Ground Tackle

For those who fish the Sidney area, I have a question for you and need some suggestions here please. We have a couple of kids we are bringing out on our boat for a few days who are from Calgary, they have never been on a boat before and they have never fished before. We want to show them a great time and leave them with some fun memories. We are going to go to the Spit drop anchor and spend a night or two there to start and want to let them try some fishing off of our dingy. A bit of trolling and jigging close to shore. The dingy is 11 feet so we want to stay within a reasonable running distance from the main boat and keep them safe in more shallow waters. Where do you guys who fish this area suggest my husband takes these two young boys to try to catch something? We are only really familiar with fishing the Sooke area and have never fished the Sidney area before. Thanks everyone for your help.

The powder warf south of Sidney spit on James Island can be a good place to jig. I’d only go on a very low wind current day in a 11 ft dingy. You will also likely get undersize Ling, off forest island, maybe a keeper but unlikely this late in the season. Be aware of the rock fish closure at the south end of forest.

Crab traps are a fun idea and go for walks on the low tide on the north east side to find red rock in the tide pools hiding in the sand. Bring a magnifying glass to look at small creatures as the tide pools aren’t as exciting as the west coast unless you look really hard!

Back