17 foot tinner salt water fishing

If I may, its not just about the size of your boat but rather also the deadrise/angle or how deep the V is and how suitable your boat design is for ocean conditions. That 16ft lifetimer is a well built aluminum boat built in Duncan and designed for ocean conditions.

I had a 16ft double eagle that could handle some bad weather if I went slow but had a deep V hull designed for ocean conditions. I've been on a larger boat that had a shallow hull and open bow rider. It was ok for flat calm days but a bit of waves and it was NOT ideal.

Suggestion if you are new is to try taking it to cates park first (protected in indian arm) and try to go out and run your gear and boat in relative safety of the inlet.
1) Wear a life jacket ALWAYS. ALWAYS while on the water
2) Have a waterproof, floating marine VHF clipped to your life jacket (that you are always wearing)
3) Know where you are in terms of location so that if you need to call for help on VHF 16 you can give them a rough idea of where you are/what you have one etc.

This is coming from me from a perspective of not just being a boater but also a mariner and someone who has had to participate in some search and rescues.

I know I sound like a nagging old man but I honestly just want people to be safe and come home to their loved ones. No need to have a tragedy on the water if one can be prevented.

All the fishing stuff I'll leave to others.... as they like to say in my profession "safety first"
Second this - just a reminder to get your ROC-M if you want to have a VHF. Vancouver Power/Sail Squadron has another course coming up in April. My instructor was Peter Bennett, and he's great - I got a lot more out of the in person session rather than than just doing the coursework online and then challenging the exam. Also, nice to go out and meet other people who are out on the water.

Is your tinny heavy gauge and welded ? Ideally it would be. My 16' Lifetimer is and that gives a lot of confidence (and safety). If your boat is thin gauge and riveted, better have a bilge pump and take it easy over the heavy chop.

Last edited:
ROGUE WAVES, in real big water, especially with ships/tankers around, would be my main concern.
The non-rogue wave/steady/consistent waves are less of a concern to an intelligent boat captain, but the rogue waves are a wildcard that a captain can't control.

My boat is a welded 16" skiff but doesn't have a ton of freeboard. Previously I fished out of a 12' tinny where I definitely had to pick my days. I have found that some of the small private motor cruisers make the worst wakes, short and steep waves. The pilot boats a close second if they are in a hurry. Ship waves are big but more of a swell, until the waves go over a reef or shallow water. When a freighter goes by I make sure I'm in deep water, off any kind of rise on the bottom where waves will stack up and roll.

Back