Shrimping around Victoria

• Thread starter Thread starter maru487
  • Start date Start date
They didn't know because they were to busy driving around hammered to read the dates!

Viva la Camaron!

Gimee the gaff!!!

LOL, a rookie here and it shows, can't help it when it comes to this topic :)

The thread is two years old just reading my post from two years ago... and I still have'nt posted that picture of the shrimp pot.. ! [:p] I'll get around to it one year here.. lol..

My God... you guy's are a riot! Napolean? Ha-ha-ha! That's a good one.

While we're on the subject.... has anybody ever tried to catch shrimp out near Roche Cove off the bridge or off the rocks near by? I was trying to find a spot closer to where I live. Was thinking about going down there at night with a flash light to see if I can see their beady little eyes in the water.

quote:Originally posted by fishinfool

While we're on the subject.... has anybody ever tried to catch shrimp out near Roche Cove off the bridge or off the rocks near by? I was trying to find a spot closer to where I live. Was thinking about going down there at night with a flash light to see if I can see their beady little eyes in the water.

They have to be there somewhere, as there is/was a commercial shrimp fishery in Sooke Harbour. When I was at Sooke Harbour Marina, they were all over the pilings there.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Was that fishery right in the basin? I wonder how someone might do on the spit - or do you have to be in deeper water on pilons etc?.

Sounds like a little investigation is in order.

quote:Originally posted by Nimo

Was that fishery right in the basin? I wonder how someone might do on the spit - or do you have to be in deeper water on pilons etc?.

Sounds like a little investigation is in order.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/zone/underwater_sous-marin/shrimp/shrimp-crevette-eng.htm

Read down, talks about the fishery there. The shrimp were all over the pilings on the docks in the harbour, I'm not sure if they would be in the basin, but I don't see why not. Talk to someone who moores at Sunny Shores, a regular there would know if they were on the dock, if they are on the dock, they should be around the pilings. The rocks off East Sooke Park would be a good bet too.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Thanks LC. Not sure about the East Sooke rocks at night with the kids but I'll definitely be looking around the docks etc. We used to fish shrimp off one of the docks out towards Sidney. We used bike rims and burlap sacks as netting - one of my favorite childhood memories.

I went down to Roche Cove last night looking for shrimp under the bridge and around the rocks but I didn't find a single one. There is no sidewalk on the bridge so it would be very dangerous to try and shrimp of the bridge. Next I headed over to the Government wharf just past sooke but there is a big sign that says... NO FISHING, NO CRABBING, AND NO SHRIMPING from the docks. So I guess I will be heading to Cattle point I know that there is some shrimp there. If anyone else knows of a good spot to catch shrimp, let me know. Thanks .... Steve.

Cattle Point is an excellent spot to go shrimping from shore. Both boat launches are good. Also, there is good shrimping off the shore at the breakwater of Oak Bay Marina. Take a bucket, fill it up in short order at both spots. Good oily bait and a calm night are key.

Put your trap in just a few feet of water off the shore and with a flashlight you can watch the shrimp climb into the trap. When the trap is full, pull it up, empty into the bucket and reset the trap. It's good fun, the kids love it as do out of town guests from places where they don't have ocean.

There is good shrimping from the docks at Cheanuh Marina in East sooke, ive gone many times and filled a 5 gallon bucket, but i make a night of it, and it lasts a long time, be and my buddies just go down for a few hours!!!

-Steve

Thanks fishflyguy89, I go to Cheanuh all the time..... But I never thought about shrimpping from there. Will they let people on to the docks to shrimp? or do you have to sneek down there. A friend of mine lives in the cabins there.... maybe hew will let me fish off the rocks by his cabin.... sounds like fun to me..... will let you all know how I make out when I go. Steve.

Just got in the door from taking my company from Thailand to James Island Wharf so they might get a chance to see someone with a crab or maybe shrimp.
One lady had a couple of good size,6",rock crab but this old man who was down perched under the walk ramp having a smoke and when my freind gasped and motioned me down.
This old bugger had a 5 gallon pail FULL of big shrimp. His traps were under and my freind asked him what he uses for bait the old boy replied in a terrible English accent " none of your god d**m business!"
I was quite shocked but then my buddy pipes up and tells the guy to enjoy his shrimp meal because he looks like he is old enough to die very soon.
I still can't stop laughing.:Dp.s. if that man is on this forum thanks for giving my buddy a great story to tell when he gets home!!and don't worry,I think you've got many years left. ;)

I shrimp there because i have my boat in the water there, i dont see them having a problem with it, i know a few people who dont have a boat there, and they go often and shrimp there.

There is a huge school of small herring right in the bay at the launch ramp and the seals are darting through it, my younger sister was with me today and thought it was awsome!! A few baby seals aswell. Id rather they eat the herring then the salmon so!!! hope the school sticks around.

Good luck with the shrimping!!

-Steve

Yup, there's shrimp in them there waters.... saw them with my own eyes...lol. Now I have to make up some shrimp nets and with any luck will go to Cheanuh on Friday night and see how many I can catch. Its going to be a longggg week.

Full 5 gal bucket sounds nice but bear in mind that shrimp still fall under the 200 per person limit.

James Island dock should be picking up nicely by now.

Times have changed I guess, When I used to fish out of Sooke when I was younger all we did was walk around the dock at night with a flashlight and a dip net, it would take an hour or 2 but we would always have enough to feed everyone.

Take only what you need.

Back