Scotch whisky

For daily drams I smash Walker Black, it is great value for me anyway and I don't mind a blend at all on the rocks, and I always have a few bottles of Balvenie 12 year old around. Digging a bit deeper is Oban 14 and I have some amazing whiskey from the deep south but I can't recall the name of currently. I also have a bottle of Lagavulin 16 that I need to crack open soon too.

I'm gonna definitely check out the Shelter Point offers noted above, sounds great and so cool to see local products do so well on the broader market.

Anybody tried the local ones from Caledonia distillery in Victoria? Any good?
My daughter bought me a bottle of their single malt - I was skeptical, but pleasantly surprised - not bad for local stuff - nice complex flavor, but obviously not as smooth as older single malts. I think it will only get better with age as this was only a 4 year old bottle.

We had some guests over for lunch out on the deck(bbq’d spring salmon, kayak caught) and as they came in the door, one of them handed me a bag and said, “ I no longer drink and I heard you liked Scotch so here you go.” I opened the bag up and pulled out these 3 beauties! I told her that she was welcome to come for lunch anytime!
IMG_1310.jpeg

I had a whiskey bar at my wedding. Must have had 15 bottles or so. Some scotch, Irish whiskey, Japanese whiskey, bourbon, etc.

That was such a hit. Self serve whiskey bar. I don’t know how much booze I gave away but everyone loved the whiskey bar the most. Get that party started woooo

I use Auchentoshan as a gateway scotch for people who haven’t tried much scotch or don’t like any at all. It’s delicious. I like to try new stuff so I’m always on the hunt for something I haven’t tried. I am a fan of the Oban though.
gateway scotch! hilarious!!!

i also like Oban. good stuff

We had some guests over for lunch out on the deck(bbq’d spring salmon, kayak caught) and as they came in the door, one of them handed me a bag and said, “ I no longer drink and I heard you liked Scotch so here you go.” I opened the bag up and pulled out these 3 beauties! I told her that she was welcome to come for lunch anytime!
View attachment 93029
I gave a bottle of Caol Ila to Supreme Court Justice Major as a thank you present for speaking at our law class graduation.
He made a point of getting me a message back that it was "very drinkable"!

I gave a bottle of Caol Ila to Supreme Court Justice Major as a thank you present for speaking at our law class graduation.
He made a point of getting me a message back that it was "very drinkable"!

That's a fantastic story, my dad graduated ubc law in 1950 and they settled more cases during lunch at the penthouse...those guys knew a thing or two about scotch whiskey.

This is next level small batch bourbon. Yeehaw!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230610_203345_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230610_203345_Gallery.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 45
What's your favorites?

Pulled a few of my fav's out of the Scotch museum. On far left is Octomore 12.1 - exceptional. Next to it is Octomore 10 - limited edition - it is unbelievably great. A new one in center is Askaig - lovely peaty Islay with outstanding finish. Next up is Ardbeg Kelpie - very similar to Askaig and again very nice if you like peaty Scotch....last up, is Lagavulin special release, and I have been saving it to open on New Years....will report.

The little garden Nome in the background is about what you end up looking like after sampling all 5 bottles.
IMG_5018.jpeg

Last edited:
Back