Sand Lance Spoon

Do most of you just put tape on the convex side, and not on the concave (or inside), like a conventional spoon? I was wondering this as I put supplied tape on both sides of one I have - Also going to experiment with different colours.

As for the swivels. They certainly do change the action. Not necessarily worse, just different. With the swivels it is much more of a slithering like rather than erratic action. My thought is that this would work well for the bigger fish. I have found it looks really good with a heavier swivel up front and lighting in the rear. At nootka a month ago, the double swivel was the lure that took the 2 biggest fish of the trip, not huge but both at 14lb and a 20lb ling.

I really like how everyone has a different take on it.

And Fishin'Zinn: I personally put tape on both sides.

Similar to a coho killer, if you add extra swivels I would be increasing your trolling speed considerably. Just my thoughts as your really dampening out the action of the spoon.

Thanks Jeffy. It's my first crack at using these stickers..turned out pretty good. I guess the true test will be on the water! Now to rig em up. I think I'll try just a light swivel on the hook, and tie directly to the split ring on the front for starts. I should be out there fishing right now instead of farting around with pretty stickers!!!

My spoons arrived in the mail today just in time for my weekend trip to Swiftsure and Neah bay. I'm anxious to give them a try.

weather was pretty iffy here today I was all set to launch but it didn't seem to calm , then after unloading everything out of the boat it calmed right down..figures.. great job on the tape, I think I need some more varieties..

I'll keep vouching for Andrew's spoon design as it has put fish on my line consistently in spotty fishing conditions and has been beating out anchovies. Last time out fished anchovies and did some laps around bait balls but no luck. Swapped one side out for a Sitka sandlance and within minutes had a fish on.

I'll keep vouching for Andrew's spoon design as it has put fish on my line consistently in spotty fishing conditions and has been beating out anchovies. Last time out fished anchovies and did some laps around bait balls but no luck. Swapped one side out for a Sitka sandlance and within minutes had a fish on.
Could you please explain how you use this spoon. Leader length, swivel(s), flasher or not, paint, sticker etc....

Andrew is on CBC RADIO right now! Talking about his spoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience is that swivels deaden the action, I prefer welded rings but split rings work and I tie directly to the ring.
I'm using a 3/0 siwash. the lighter the hook the better the wiggle.

My experience is that swivels deaden the action, I prefer welded rings but split rings work and I tie directly to the ring.
I'm using a 3/0 siwash. the lighter the hook the better the wiggle.

Who welds the rings on? It's exactly how I run it but with split rings. I hear nothing but great results but have only caught one fish myself on one. They look great in the water. Awesome swimmers.....

Kind of reminds my of other tackle I have that works west coast but doesn't catch crap on the ECVI. Most days I give it an hour then switch it out.

I have tried different flashers and no flasher. I have tried 4-6 foot leaders.

It may have to do with the fact I am not using them in areas I have ever caught fish with needle fish in the belly. But I still think it would be an instinctive trigger that would have them bite.

I am not giving up :)

Andrew is on CBC RADIO right now! Talking about his spoon.

Thanks for the update...... All I seen was cartoons :)

Had me wondering what you were smoking as well.... :) LOL

Back