Sand Lance Spoon

Who welds the rings on? It's exactly how I run it but with split rings.

Currently nobody, Andrew advised it would increase the cost to have soldered rings
so split rings are the only option right now.

Ha. Well, I now can say I have been on the radio! Quite a blur of an experience and it was over in a flash. I'll post up a link of the interview. It was on CBC Radio One at 7:40 on On the Island.

As per leader lengths. They have worked with anything from 3'-6'. Earlier in the spring they were doing really well with around a 3' leader and that is what I set my dad up with and he did really well around Thormunby, Sangster and Nelson Island. Fish Assassin, do you think that these would be the same fish that you were finding around Powell River at that same time?

FA, maybe give a try with a shorter leader....That said, in the last few weeks I have tried with longer leaders in the 4-6' range, thinking that the slower summer fish would prefer that. They worked. And that was not fishing on bottom either.

best action for me has been with 6 foot leader 30lb test, split ring only up front, split ring and swivel on back with another split ring and a red gamagatsu #5 octo hook. looks like a bleeding sandlance swimming. I matched the stock swivel size from a 3.5 coyote, so I wouldn't overdo the size.

I also tried it with no rear swivel and a light treble hook off the back and a swivel up front with 3 foot leader- that got slammed and bent the spoon, but lost the fish horsing it in. Better to have the rear swivel to remove the fish's leverage when they turn/jump etc.

I want to get a couple, but I see there are a few to choose from. Any favorites yet?

I want to get a couple, but I see there are a few to choose from. Any favorites yet?

Hey Klob, well if the group as a whole is any indication of what the favorites are, the SS with glow eyes and the Brass with glow eyes are the most popular. The eyes really do have a nice glow and I think adds a slight advantage for early morning, late eve or down very deep. That said, the Red Prism, Yellow Prism and Silver Prism eyes have some great flash to them, so for the top water in the summer, these MAY have a slight edge. To each their own though! Overall, stainless has been the choice of most as they don't tarnish like the brass and copper. I have been playing around with different polishes to keep the brass and copper shiny and protected from the salt, while allowing the eyes and strips to stick on. There are 2 products that I have come across and will post info later for long term care of the lures.

I got a great report on the lures working well out of Port Renfrew yesterday. My step-father-in-law from Calgary and his son went out on a charter and even though I wasn't able to make the trip in the flesh, I was there in spirit as I sent along a few spoons for them to try. Knowing that guides like to stick to what they know works, I wasn't sure if they would get any water time or not. Well, they decided to throw one down on one side to see how they would work and no more than 5 minutes down they had a heavy one on that ended up snapping the mainline. Following that, they decided to try them on both sides and were straight into a double header. I didn't get details on fish size, but from what I gather they were out on the bank.

Thanks to Dan at Pacific Sports Fishing for giving them a try! Great to chat about the success yesterday and a dozen spoons are coming up to you tomorrow!

seeing that everyone was posting pics of their spoons they dressed up, might as well show mine I just finished. Started with a etch coat, 2 coats of white base, 3 coats of both green and white pearl. Applied the fish scale decal, 3d eye and sprayed on 2 coats of UV blast clearcoat
somethingnew1_zps608c194a.jpg

uvblast_zps5e08499f.jpg

seeing that everyone was posting pics of their spoons they dressed up, might as well show mine I just finished. Started with a etch coat, 2 coats of white base, 3 coats of both green and white pearl. Applied the fish scale decal, 3d eye and sprayed on 2 coats of UV blast clearcoat
somethingnew1_zps608c194a.jpg

uvblast_zps5e08499f.jpg
Damn, PA. That is one fine lure treatment. Really nice

Andrew,
where did you get the glo eyes? I need to pick up a few
Tim

That UV Blast Seal Coat isn't as permanent as you might think....it's better than their spray-bottle version..

I've done tons of spoons with the UV Blast Seal Coat...........if you do multiple coats it has a tendency to "fracture crack' and flakes off......quite easily.

Don't use it as a final hard coat.

Put your final hard coat on (whatever it may be)....and then use the UV Blast Seal Coat as a non-permanent attraction, which you will have to re-apply at a later date.

They claim it's a permanent epoxy finish........but in my experience of many spoons, it isn't.

That UV Blast Seal Coat isn't as permanent as you might think....it's better than their spray-bottle version..

I've done tons of spoons with the UV Blast Seal Coat...........if you do multiple coats it has a tendency to "fracture crack' and flakes off......quite easily.

Don't use it as a final hard coat.

Put your final hard coat on (whatever it may be)....and then use the UV Blast Seal Coat as a non-permanent attraction, which you will have to re-apply at a later date.

They claim it's a permanent epoxy finish........but in my experience of many spoons, it isn't.
Just put a couple coats of clear over it at work, should be damn near bullet proof now

sweet paint job! on the topic of adding details to spoons - has anyone figured out how to get the moon jelly look on a silver spoon but with paint of some kind? I have not had much luck with those stickers staying on but love the shiny purple UV look...

I know silver horde makes a purple haze spoon that has worked well for friends of mine so assume it can be done.

Nice work Gary! id say one of the closest to the real deal color schemes yet, if you drop it off with me I can install the split-rings n giver a ECVI saltwater bath treatment process..it takes roughly 3 months...

Hey Folks,

I took a some gopro footage the other week to show what the action is like in the water for those who haven't seen it. You will note that the spoon does not actually make full rotations as one might suspect by just looking at it, but rather swings back and forth like a pendulum. Even when stepping the speed up to 2.5kn the lure comes right up to be fully upside down but then reverses direction and darts back down with out fully going over.

I will be going out with a film maker buddy shortly film a bit of a show and tell about how we have been using them with great success even with summer fish (and saving lots on bait!). We'll cover different swivel and hook setups and show what each variation does to affect the action.

Until then, here is a sneak peak at what it looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rxcsBVnUr0

Back