S.G. Camp Returns

Time

Anybody have any experience (not just opinions) with SG's camp return outboards. Particularly the T-8's, with electric start and tilt.
Seems like reasonable prices.
**** run out of them?

I didn't buy one, but looked into it. I was shopping for a 60hp. They had two groups, ones that had super low hours (100 or less) that they would only sell with boat packages, and ones with high hours. If you walked in and wanted a motor separate, you could only get ones with 500 hours on them. To me, the discount off retail didn't seem enough for using up the best quarter of their operating life.

I heard mixed info on how abused the motors may have been. If they are client driven, I assume it's equivalent to a rental car, pin it and go, no worries. But I met a guide from the charlottes who said they actually took really good care of the motors -- he got in trouble, because they reviewed the engine stats every few weeks and found out he was back trolling with his main motor instead of the kicker. Too many hours at that RPM would violate their agreement for lease returns.

Maybe there's part of the answer...for motors with a history that can be reviewed in the computer, you can be assured it has been well taken care of. The others, buyer beware!

Prices are tempting though.

And keep an eye on Seattle craigslist, I've seen some good deals on kickers down there.

I didn't buy one either. I was considering one of them but started calculating how many hours were on them.

Can you find out which lodge they came from? From what I've seen, they're run every day in the summer. Some simple math..... 8 hours x 7 days x 4 weeks x 4 months = 896 hours. Do you think they're changing the oil every 100 hours? So for 30% off of list price, I don't think it's a bargain as these camp returns could have 1,000 to 2,000 hours on them.

I've also heard some horror stories where one of the staff forgot to add oil to the gas for one of the 2 strokes....and the motor was only a few weeks old. (hope you're not getting this one!)

Ok, thanks guys.
That pretty much reinforces my own thoughts that they, particularly the small motors that don't have hour meters, have blown off half their life.

Back