Shop knocked over my kicker. Double Eagle 185 Kicker Replacement suggestions?

I have both, 8 hp high thrust Yamaha kicker on my Arima and the 9.9 hp EFI Suzuki on my tinny. Both great outboards, but the EFI sure starts nice, and no screwing around with chokes, click of the key and running. I can t see it making a diffence in loudness.

Sounds like a new Zuke might be the route to go if the price is right. I've built one on the website, how much are dealer fees? Electric tilt would be nice but not exactly necessary as I'm back there regardless to hook up my kicker steer bar. Just need to see how it hangs off the back. My TOHATSU cleared my trim tabs, just need to make sure anything new hanging off the back would as well.
I think tohatsu build small engines for merc and zuke. Could be wrong but my 2021 merc 9.9 is a tohatsu Powerhead

Last edited:
I think it depends on what you are used to for noise level. Maybe not a great comparison, but I'll say it anyway. I run a 30hp etec. EFI. Its quiet. I have a 2.5 hp yammy kicker carbed. It's LOUD. Louder than my main by a long shot. I have buddies that run a 17' Tyee both with a merc 9.9 Pro carbed. They are way louder than my main. So much so my one buddy never uses it. Trolls off his main (merc 90) which is surprisingly quiet for a 20 year old 4 stroke.

If it were me, I'd get the EFI. And x2 on the power trim and tilt. You ain't getting any younger.

Last edited:
Does a 9.9 with power tilt with a tiller, need to be tilted to the side when raised or will it remain fixed in that “Center” position?

I must admit the new motors are so quiet , there has been countless times ill pull up from on plane I leave my main on (just incase ) and put kicker down start it and start trolling Cant tell you how many times after 30 mins or so Ive forgot to turn off the main LOL LOL.
The EFI is very very nice so glad I switched over dont get me wrong 35 plus years with yammy has always treated me right this is just next level thats all ...

You'll have a tighter fit on the transom with a tiller model, which is an issue on the 185,I'd go full remote w/tilt.Connect the main to kicker with a stainless rod unit.

You'll have a tighter fit on the transom with a tiller model, which is an issue on the 185,I'd go full remote w/tilt.Connect the main to kicker with a stainless rod unit.
on my 185 my yammy 8hp tiller is side mounted- it won’t turn to port unless it’s straight up in the air.

She’s only got 430 on the main. Just coming into her prime. Averaging around 65hrs/year on the main. Pretty lucky to have good fishing in close.
My last two boats I sold with 26 hours and 160 hours haha

She’s only got 430 on the main. Just coming into her prime. Averaging around 65hrs/year on the main. Pretty lucky to have good fishing in close.
Congrats on the kicker! I might have to go the Suzuki route when its time to replace my 6hp yami... but its a 2016 so maybe won't be for a while.

I have a yami main as well 2019 and its already got 800 hours on it.

Back