Running two lines off Scotty Elec Downriggers

quote:It was suggested that there can only be one line per licensed angler in the boat if there is a person without a licence

Nope I've been stopped fishing 4 lines solo and no problems, they checked one line for barbs and wished me good luck.

So I can have 2 other people on board with no licenses, fish with four lines out and I'm legally compliant?

Matador

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

quote:It was suggested that there can only be one line per licensed angler in the boat if there is a person without a licence

Nope I've been stopped fishing 4 lines solo and no problems, they checked one line for barbs and wished me good luck.

But you didn't have a person onboard without a license.
If someone doesn't have a license I think you are limited by DFO
eg. three guys with and one guy without = 3 rods not 4
one solo guy with = 4 rods

Anyone?

quote:Originally posted by pescador

So I can have 2 other people on board with no licenses, fish with four lines out and I'm legally compliant?

Matador

Don't think so.

Someone somewhere has the regs for Crab/Prawn gear mixed up with line fishing for Salmon (we have been through this in the past here)

As long as the person without a licence doesn't touch any gear I can run as many lines as I want.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

quote:

But you didn't have a person onboard without a license.
If someone doesn't have a license I think you are limited by DFO
eg. three guys with and one guy without = 3 rods not 4
one solo guy with = 4 rods

Anyone?

In Canada, (BC) it doesn't matter. As long as there is ONE legally licensed fisherman onboard, you can fish as many rods as you like. You can have 20 other people on the boat without licenses AS LONG AS NO ONE ELSE TOUCHES THE FISHING GEAR.

Now be aware that this ONLY applies to tidal (salt) water, fresh water is a whole different set of rules, and I BELIEVE that you are restricted to two lines if alone, and one line per licensed fisherman if 2 or more on the boat. But I haven't fished fresh water in years so I'm not up on all the fresh water regs.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Are the regs clearly written this way? I don't have them in front of me, but, I don't recall such crisp clarity on the interpretation

Matador

Had this discussion with a friend last summer and i found it in the regulations.
Very clearly says as many lines as you want as long as unlicensed person doesn't touch any of the fishing gear.
Have to see if i can find it again.

I'm sure it's been covered, but I didn't read all the posts, just a reminder, when you set your lines back I like to put the bottom line at say 30 ft back of the downrigger line and the top one about 20 ft back. It helps to avoid entaglement.

Take only what you need.

I think it makes more sense to do the opposite way. Your deeper rod is going to have more of a bow in the line, therefore to me it makes more sense to run the higher rod further back to make sure that the rotating flasher is well clear of that big bow.

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

quote:Originally posted by Highliner

I think it makes more sense to do the opposite way. Your deeper rod is going to have more of a bow in the line, therefore to me it makes more sense to run the higher rod further back to make sure that the rotating flasher is well clear of that big bow.

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

Highliner,

I'm like you, I've always run the "top" lines back farther thinking that I would avoid the blow back of the "bottom" lines.

Fish Assassin and Wolf,

You both seem to do just the opposite. Maybe I've been doing things backwards all these years. Does running the top lines closer than the bottom lines help avoid all tangles or more so when a fish hooks up on the bottom tackle, releases and comes to the surface?

Thanks,
Slabby

DSCN4812-2-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Slabby20

quote:Originally posted by Highliner

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

Highliner/Slabby 20

I have run two rods off one downrigger for many years. I like to separate the lines on each side of the boat by twenty feet (easy to keep track of), then stagger each side by ten feet (assuming deep enough water). I always run the bottom line 10 feet or more behind the clip than the up line. If the bottom rod trips and the fish heads straight up it is already past the up line and will be less likely to tangle with the up line (extremely rare to have a hookup/tangle). Another advantage is if you hook a small fish on the bottom line that won't trip the line by itself, you can manually trip the bottom line, wait 10 seconds or more for the line to clear, then reel it in without tangling or needing to bring in both lines at the same time. If a large fish trips either line and heads straight away from the boat there will likely be no problem whatever way you rig things up.

Highliner,

I'm like you, I've always run the "top" lines back farther thinking that I would avoid the blow back of the "bottom" lines.

Fish Assassin and Wolf,

You both seem to do just the opposite. Maybe I've been doing things backwards all these years. Does running the top lines closer than the bottom lines help avoid all tangles or more so when a fish hooks up on the bottom tackle, releases and comes to the surface?

Thanks,
Slabby

DSCN4812-2-1.jpg

interesting question about rigging setup. when stacking, i think usually have my top rod in a little closer so that i could get it out of the way in a hurry.

however when i think about it, typically springs sound when they get hooked. so in that case, maybe the top rod should be farther back to avoid tangles?

whereas with coho racing to the surface, you'd probably want it the other way around?

I've never worried about placing one further back then the others. Just toss em out and clip them in, as long as you keep the stack spread by 20 feet then you won't see any problems.

Don't over think it, its not that complex.

I guess I do it for when a fish hits. I'm always on the rod that doesn't have a fish on right away. So if it hits on the top line , the bottom line is out of the way quickly. I've had the experience of having a fish hit and run for the surface, on its way it tangled and tripped the other rod then it was a big mess. I never get many tangles when I do it this way. Maybe it is just more important to vary the lines in distance either way, one should be shorter.

Take only what you need.

Back