Running two lines off Scotty Elec Downriggers

pescador

I've never done it, but, I hear you can run two rods off one Scotty Electric downrigger. If you have a system set up to do this,can you pls share your experience. I wonder about the distance between leader lines required to eliminate line cross over etc. Amount of line from cable to bait, does it differ by rod. What do you use to connect each set up to the downrigger cable. When pulling the pin, do you always pull the top line first (likely) etc. Any info would be appreciated.

Matador

Doesn't need to be electric I've run 5 off a small manual just to prove a point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

If you can run two downriggers with one line each and do it smoothly, then you should have no problem running 2 lines off each one.

Set up your first lines as you normally would. drop them 20' and clip on your next line. Put your upper rods straight out the stern, mounting them towards the center. When the lines pop, turn towards the side that popped to move the fish away from the other lines. Try and steer the fish out to the side while someone else grabs the other line on the same side and clears it to the far side away from the fish.

When you drop your lines to fish, set one at say 50' and the other at either 40' or 60' That way, you have maximum spread to prevent tangles and you cover more depth. It is harder to do though if you are fishing shallow water under 40 feet or so.

At the end of the day when you want to go home, pop the lines one at a time, starting with the upper lines and let them swim their way to the surface before realing them in. Often you will trigger a fish to strike.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

pescador, just use these Scotty clips for running your rods on the cable. Just make sure they have the trolling snaps (no. 1155).

http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/line-releases/powergrip-plus.htm

Start by running three rods, and then work up to four if you want to. If the fishing is good, then just run two. If it's slow then you can cover a good portion of the water column by running multiple rods as Sushinhunter said.

Good luck.

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

Been doing it for years as many have seen me do it off of sooke usually in june as I am trying to cover more depths as Jim has mentioned on one side I do the same and run about 20 or 30 ft apart until i zone in where the fish are. so one side would be 80 60 ft the other 70 50ft and I do move them quite often either way as i find it covers more area.

Like Jim said my back rods are the top depths but I reel mine in with the downrigger coming up and lay my clips (48") over the back rod holder then check gear then check the bottom one which I use a shorter clip about a 18 " with a different type of Snap its a wesking #9 same as the old commercial ones that would slide up and down on the commercial boats inbetween the beads at certain fantom depths, The reason why is I put two big brass beads on the wire so they can slide up and down about 6 inches . ill post pic later

the reason why is how many times have you brought up your rigger only to see your clip wrapped around youe wire this doesnt happen when you doit this wasy.

My bottom lines are a bit farther back then the top as well so it wont flashers wont tangle if you get a fish on once you have a system You can burn through the gear quite quick I do it pretty fast as I cut time down by setting up for putting back out again

good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

What about putting a clip on the ball? Not sure how that would affect things. Thoughts?

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

One other thing you will want to do is run a second downrigger stop before your top downrigger clip or you will loose your downrigger clip if you bring your gear up when you have a fish on your top line. The clip will hit the end of the downrigger and pop off if you do not pay attention or have a stop before it.

If you have nylon line, you can't use the usual scotty metal line clips, as they slide. You have to use crazy glue or beads to keep them in place, or the Stacker clip below.

quote:Originally posted by Spooled Again

One other thing you will want to do is run a second downrigger stop before your top downrigger clip or you will loose your downrigger clip if you bring your gear up when you have a fish on your top line. The clip will hit the end of the downrigger and pop off if you do not pay attention or have a stop before it.

I have had this happen so many times...in the heat of battle, you forget, and there goes 10 bucks. Frustrating. I found the "Stacker" release solves that problem, because when it hits your downrigger, it bumps off the yellow clip, but the metal clip is still holding. It also works fine on nylon line, without needing beads or glue.

11766leaderpowerstacker_141_general.jpg

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca

quote:Originally posted by haggardscove

Just wondering if 10' between spreads on the same wire would be too close?
10' might be to close, depends how far back you are running and if you have flashers attached. Usually will tangled!

quote:Originally posted by haggardscove

Just wondering if 10' between spreads on the same wire would be too close?

as charlie said, thats probably a little tight...i generally run 20' gaps when not using flashers and up to 30' when using them...nothing worse than having a flasher grab your other line...

I second Highliner's suggestion...do this when the fishing is slow, to cover more depths, and get more gear in the water, so you can experiment with different lures.

When the fishing is good, don't bother!

Problems I've found:

-- learning from your mistakes means tangled lines, fouled gear, and you spending a lot of time dealing with gear problems with no gear in the water...that is time wasted NOT fishing! [and in that case, better to just have the one line in the whole time]

-- it makes it just slightly more hassle to check the gear, so there's a tendency to leave it longer...not good if there's crap in the water to pick up on your gear or you're getting small bites that wreck the bait.

-- when you do get a hit, it's a bit more chaotic, which rod is getting bumped, getting the other one out of way, etc. So your chance of a hit are increased, but so are your chances of losing it.

I tend not to if there's strong current or wind, a lot of other boats around causing frequent turns, lots of kelp around. But if it's a calm, easy day and the fishing is slow...then what the heck, mix it up a bit. Dealing with the extra gear makes the time fly by and there's some added excitement when you do get a bite.

Oh yeah, and one last one: speaking for myself, stacking rods when by yourself is a bad idea! Chaos guaranteed. :D

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca

Lot’s of good advise above. I stack rods a lot. I mostly fish on the west side of the island with spoons. When fishing solo I’ll use just one downrigger and stack that one. It leaves one side of your boat open to net the fish. It’s also convenient to see both rods on the same side. You don’t get any tangles from the current with only one DR line in the water. When Chum fishing season rolls around, you will have had lot’s of practice stacking and have your setup dialed in. When you get a double header it’s handy to have one side clear and have been lucky to land them. If fishing Springs with a partner, 5 rods in the water is normal with the 5th on a sliding weight. Keep the bottom flasher close to the DR cable and you can run 12 to 15 feet between the rods. If fishing the west side during prime season, with a partner, 2 rods in the water is all you ever need as when the fish bite, both rods will go off more times than not. If the fishing is slow then, fill you boots and stack away. Browns Bay fishing for Chum is a hoot with a partner and you have 4 rods down. I have had quad’s on and the excitement level is extreme. We don’t even use the net, as a gaff is what you really need. I would try to stack 3 rods a side with a partner if I had enough rod holders.
GLG

Its not that hard if you keep some basic things in mind. The one thing that helps more than anything is I use the current and travel with it so I know my lines don't move sideways on me while letting them out. I set my bottom rods on the cannon ball with a shorter clip and directly behind the boom slightly to the inside. My next rod is set 30' higher and using as long a rod as possible set way out the side with a longer clip. Do the same thing on the other side and stagger each line 15'.As long as you have stops set correctly and your lines are not going sideways on you while lowering you should be tangle free. After all lines are set then get back to the tack you want! If everything is organized this goes suprisingly quick

Most I've stacked was 3 on each side and a rod out the back on an 8 ounce, so 7 lines.. Then we went through a school of Pinks/Sockeye. We had a fish on every god damb hook! We got 6 of them in! The biggest was a 143/4# pink!!

Take only what you need.

My 2 bits on detangling 2 crossed lines on the same rigger
, the famous twin rod bounce in sequence on the same side , you have a tangle , I find the more aggressive you are with getting in both lines , the bigger mess you get, pop both rods quickly ( top rod first ) DO NOT reel them in right away , let them both float up to the surface,while boat is in gear, once surfaced , reel them both in together , usually a easy fix , no major mess !! Don't let the frustration make it worse , by horsing them in.

Chhers....FD...;)

IMG_1356-1-1-1.jpg

Another trick I didnt mention is my bottom lines are a different color than my top rods just incase I need to cut a line I know which one.trust me when I say makes life a lot easier.
Dont ask LOL

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Thanks for all the info. Lots of good tips. I'll give it a shot next time I'm out at Beechy. Boat's still winterized, plan to get out in April.

Matador

One more thing I have to add is when turning make sure to speed up, this will allow for the inside top rods gear to not drop onto the bottom rods gear, also make wider than normal turns, this will ensure the angles between the inside and outside rods gear are sufficient enough to prevent contact.

Still sort of on topic, but just a little to the side. I had an interesting conversation with a friend regarding muliple lines in the water and a person aboard without a licence.

It was suggested that there can only be one line per licensed angler in the boat if there is a person without a licence. I scoured the regs and could not find mention of that.

Disclaimer: I do not let anyone, even a child, fish from my boat unless they have a valid fishing licence.

I do, however, allow friends to tag along to see the sights when my wife and I are fishing. Does this put me at risk when fishing multiple lines[?] Any thoughts?

Scooter

Back