Recommended Boat Insurance Broker ?

Bill 310

Crew Member
I was hoping that the collective would be able to provide the names of knowledgeable insurance brokers for our build.

I have found it worthwhile to get quotes from various insurance companies.

Any suggestions most appreciated.

Thanks

i use hub marine - top floor of their bldg in burnaby. they usually write intact policies.

Pick up the latest issue of Pacific Yachting, there is always ads for marine insurance brokers in there.

I just renewed my insurance. Was previously with Beacon, but their rates went way up - almost double for my coverage. My broker was able to find me the equivalent policy with Premier at a much better rate. YMMV.

Worth reading through the policy carefully. The original quote from Premier only covered coastal waters south of Cape Caution (which they mislabeled as Cape Sutil on their coverage map). I had to go back and get full coast wide coverage added.

Calista Johnston @ Johnston Meier in Port Coquitlam. 604 944 9577. She's amazing....shops your policy around, knows all the angles, works hard to avoid doing surveys unless absolutely necessary & is a huge help when having to do a claim. Good discounts for Canadian Power Squadron members.

Pick up the latest issue of Pacific Yachting, there is always ads for marine insurance brokers in there.

I just renewed my insurance. Was previously with Beacon, but their rates went way up - almost double for my coverage. My broker was able to find me the equivalent policy with Premier at a much better rate. YMMV.

Worth reading through the policy carefully. The original quote from Premier only covered coastal waters south of Cape Caution (which they mislabeled as Cape Sutil on their coverage map). I had to go back and get full coast wide coverage added.
How far offshore can you go? Nice to have the full coverage w an insurer who has a real map.

How far offshore can you go? Nice to have the full coverage w an insurer who has a real map.
My Premier Policy says 25 miles off shore max. Always check the West Coast limitations each year as you renew as they tend to change them without notice.

Dolphin insurance is great for me
X2
Sean Thomson from Dolphin is very good to deal with and really knows marine insurance. I have seen them a boat shows, both in Vancouver and in Seattle.

Calista Johnston @ Johnston Meier in Port Coquitlam. 604 944 9577. She's amazing....shops your policy around, knows all the angles, works hard to avoid doing surveys unless absolutely necessary & is a huge help when having to do a claim. Good discounts for Canadian Power Squadron members.

I ended up dealing with Calista. She was excellent to deal with and has a new job at Johnson Meier (out of Marine Division 1/1/22) Calista smoothly transferred us to Paula Burgess. Paula will be fine to work with as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info, just wondering, does anyone have a recommendation for a Boat Insurance Broker in Victoria BC?

Merry Christmas to everyone!​

I ended up dealing with Calista. She was excellent to deal with and has a new job at Johnson Meier (out of Marine Division 1/1/22) Calista smoothly transferred us to Paula Burgess. Paula will be fine to work with as well.
Calista struck me as the type of person that could pick and choose whatever job she wanted....glad it worked out!

Back