Raytheon chartplotter

juandesooka

I used my new-to-me Rayhteon RL70 radar/chartplotter yesterday. It works, and for that I'm thankful.

However, I'm not sure the chartplotter is working right. If anyone has experience with this unit, in Juan de Fuca, I'd appreciate your advice.

In San Juan Harbour (Port Renfrew), the range is 1/2 mile I believe. But as you leave the harbour, it shows "chart not found" until you zoom out to 6 miles. This shows enough range for general navigation (where is the harbourmouth in the fog), but not enough for fishing.

I checked it in Sooke too...in Sooke Harbour, down to 1/4 mile, but out in Strait, out to 3 miles is as close as you can get.

Is this a setting that's wrong? Or something wrong with the chip? Or maybe this is as good as it gets for this unit?

The chips I have:

M-N-B801.02 St of Juan de Fuca
NA-C702.00 Vic to Cape St James

Any advice most appreciated.

check your level of detail?? i know some gps's wont show detail if your zoomed to far in... ide think yours would though that just sounds weird. is there an automatic setting bychance? never heard of a thing like that.. chips loaded correctly?

img3937n.jpg

Update on this for anyone else who might come across this problem. Figured it out, after reading the manual (duh, maybe should have started with that...[:eek:)])

In Chart Settings, there's a switch to turn "Plotter Mode" on or off. If off, you can zoom right in on a chart, like on other chartplotters. If on, you can't zoom in -- I am guessing this is so you only see the level of detail in the original chart.

Anyways, there you have it...happy my chartplotter isn't malfunctioning. Thanks to those who responded, appreciate the help.

Back