Prince Rupert bound

beak

Just booked it today 5 days at Eagle point Lodge first week of June.Just putting my feelers out there to see how any of u north coast fisherman did up there last year around this time heard it was pretty descent.Will be staying at the lodges cabin and fishing out of r own boats any and all tips would be appeciated.

Might be a little early but we fish that area about once a month and do fairly well. Oscars Sports in Smithers have a fishing report that covers that area, however I don't believe they start their reports till mid May or later. On your way through if you stop at Misty River Tackle in Terrace they are quite helpful with what is hot at the time.

Too early- but what the heck- they musta had a good deal eh?

When I said early I meant for salmon. However there is good halibut, ling cod and snapper in that area also crabs and prawns.

We'll be fishing the dundas island area as well as Wales island use to fish Rupert afew years ago around the same time and use to do real well on salmon and excellent on the ground fish.Dont expect to catch any coho that early in the year but it was the only time the lodge had the cabin available .Unless u wanted 2 stay in the lodge and be guided.SUDS or Sheep just wondering if either of u have fished up North that far or are you fishing Rupert South .

We usually launch at the work channel and fish outside the mouth of the channel. I think Dundas would be a stretch for us given the size of our boat and gas tank. Two of the areas I hope to fish someday are around Dundas and Queen Charlottes. Have only bee ocean fishing for a couple of years but really enjoy it.

Just watched a TV program on fishing around Dundas Island got me thinking about digging the boat out of the four feet of snow around it. Ha Ha

Hey suds do you mean the Nice Fish program ??? Just watched it also sure gets a guy reaved don't it... I like Garys show it is I think the best on the tube, that and Sportfing B.C. I like Marks program also...

Nice to here from u totally tyee sounds like you have fished around there a bit just wondering where? I'll be taking my own boat its a 2425 Kingfisher with a pod on the back with a 225 merc just wondering what sort of water conditions to be prepared for.Any and all other posts please reply.

Wasnt aware there was a boat launch on the Work channel.Pavement?Good launch and parking?Tried looking on my computer using Blue chart but it dosen't have any programming in that area.Every time i've fished there it was guided and we always flew into Rupert.Just wondering if the run out to Wales or dundas Islands is safer up the Work channel.P.S the lodge is located somewhere on Wales Island.

Launching at the work channel can be quite interesting to say the least. There is no dock or ramp. There is a logging road into the launch area. Two years ago they were actively heli-logging in the area so the road was improved quite a bit. The run from the launch site to the mouth of the channel is probably the same as from Rupert to the mouth of the channel but the ride isn't as rough. Although the one time we did go from Rupert in my boat it was a pretty nice ride. However I was on a couple of charters in some pretty rough water. I know a fellow who camps on Wales island and is quite successful but he has many years of experience and I consider myself a novice.

Thanx SUDS just wondering if Work was user friendly .I'd imagine chatham sound can get pretty rollie.

On my first foray into Work Channel around 1990, I lost the Nut on the Trailer Ball about 1/2 way in. Of course I did not find out until I got in to the head of the channel.

A year or two later, looking for a adventure me and a buddy rode mountain bikes into there. Huffing and puffing up one of the hills, a big black scorch mark caught my attention. Saw I bunch of molten metal I thought was lead. Turned out to be aluminium. Moral of that story is dont load your aluminium boat up with 5 gallon jerry cans and then skimp on a battery box and tie down.

Fast forward another year. Were driving out after almost deep sixing a buddies truck on the beach launch. We keep hearing this hissing noise on and off. Finally pull over and one of the truck tires has the remnants of someone's outboard skeg embedded into it. Pull the skeg out and poof instant flat. Never seen so many mosquitos on the coast as I did trying to change a tire on uneven ground.

I think it's 12 km's off the highway. Used to take 2.5 hours and a hell of a lot of suds to calm the nerves. User Friendly and Work Channel do not belong in the same sentence. No pavement, Beach Launch, No Gas, No Beer (bring 2 extra flats one for the drive in, one for the drive out), Usually no help if you get into trouble.

Good read seawolf I'd think you'd be wanting to stay away from there...
On Gary's show today their was a side bar and it stated that there is some kind of venomous knat on Dundas anyone heard of these and whats up with them...

Fished Stephens island around that time of year, in close with cut plug. Did OK. Can get foggy and if the area is new to you lots to look out for. I couldn't have worked my way out there without my GPS, chart and sounder. Launched at the government launch near town, traveled north through Metlakatla and crossed over to Stephens just south of Lucy Island (some good halibut spots north of Rupert. Call up the local tackle shop, Trayling's Tackle, they were alot of help to me.

Sea Wolf - The road in has been improved quite a bit in the last two years, it usually takes us about 35 minutes to get in from the highway. There used to be a forestry campground in at the launch but it has been abandoned for quite some time. It can get quite crowded and launching and parking are a nightmare.

Last year we were comming out and a guy was on the side of the road his transmission toast. He had parked too close to the shore and the tide came in while he was out fishing.

CS - I think it is the lodge on Dundas that Kline is involved with.

I'll be staying away from Work channel i'm pulling a 25ft harbercraft where's the best place in town to launch and park for the week.Hey Seawolf sounds like quite the time u had there I dont need any of that trouble.Still sounds like the worst part was running out of Lucky Lager.LOL thanx for the posts guys.

35 Minutes, that does not even seem like a challenge any more. Work Channel was always the alernative for guys who had smaller boats and did not want to run in the big water. 25 Ft Harbercraft, launch in Rupert enjoy the ride. Make sure you have charts and GPS. Lucky, whadda think I'm from Cumberland or something? Only road I'd ever crack a cold one on, it was hard to drive at 4-5 km/hr at watch everthing get bounced to crap. Rupert's the better choice, you can get everything you need there. Sounds like Work Channel still takes it's toll though.

Dundas is awesome caught a 65 on my night off!Shallow big fish ****ty bugs!!Good luck!

Back