Prawn ropes

In the past I have clipped on a weight about half way down my line to ensure in dosen't float. This makes it harder to use the scotsman float method of pulling up the traps with the boat. I was thinking of tying two lengths of rope together with a foot of chain in the middle to keep it down, or possibly 12" of chain every 100 feet. Has anyone tried this method? Will galzanized chain handle the salt water? Any thoughts?

Galvanized chain will help in the water. Don't just tie a foot of chain tho, if you have a larger float put about 10 or 15 feet of chain, that way, when the trap gets up to the float, the chain will hang down and keep the trap bobbing under the float waiting for you instead of it sinking back down. Or better yet, put the length of chain 20 or 30 feet in front of your trap (So it does not pile on top of the trap when it hits the bottom) to double as a drift weight. I pull a lot more then that to my scotsman when hali fishing, and it works quite well.

Galvanized chain will help in the water. Don't just tie a foot of chain tho, if you have a larger float put about 10 or 15 feet of chain, that way, when the trap gets up to the float, the chain will hang down and keep the trap bobbing under the float waiting for you instead of it sinking back down. Or better yet, put the length of chain 20 or 30 feet in front of your trap (So it does not pile on top of the trap when it hits the bottom) to double as a drift weight. I pull a lot more then that to my scotsman when hali fishing, and it works quite well.

I have a question....as I have heard it mentioned before.

What is this "scotsman float method"?? [?]

I have a question....as I have heard it mentioned before.

What is this "scotsman float method"?? [?]

You all probably know this but..I found that the trap nearest the float was not catching many prawns. I figured this was because the float bobbing up and down was yanking on the trap, moving it a bit, and scaring the prawns off. So I put a 5lb lead ball in the line about 8 feet from the trap to stop the action. Now the trap catch are about equal. fwiw Tom

You all probably know this but..I found that the trap nearest the float was not catching many prawns. I figured this was because the float bobbing up and down was yanking on the trap, moving it a bit, and scaring the prawns off. So I put a 5lb lead ball in the line about 8 feet from the trap to stop the action. Now the trap catch are about equal. fwiw Tom

Don't know if they would go through the pulley when using the Scotsman method for pulling them, but instead of using the clip on weights (which tend to fall off occassionally) I attached a couple feet of chain to the rope using 'zap-straps'. That way you don't have to cut your ropes.

Don't know if they would go through the pulley when using the Scotsman method for pulling them, but instead of using the clip on weights (which tend to fall off occassionally) I attached a couple feet of chain to the rope using 'zap-straps'. That way you don't have to cut your ropes.

5/16" Leaded ground line and a cannonball at either end of your traps does the trick...unless your somewhere with some crazy current.

Thanks guys, good information. Of course sinking line is great, but when traps "get lost" occasionally, it's not worth the high cost. And I do like the idea of the chain near the trap to hold the trap from sinking back down when you are pulling in the rpoe.

Speaking of lost traps, I need a new scotsman float....any good places to get one?

Where are you? Vancouver Island: Trotac, Tyee, River Sportsman
Lower Mainland: Nikka, Redden Net

Back