Portioning frozen salmon?

eaglemaniac

Any ideas on how to cut frozen salmon into meal size portions? I have used a bow saw quite well. I still feel there must be a more effective method. Any Ideas? eman

Bandsaw works great if you have one!!!!

Wolf

You could can it? defrost the whole thing, fillet it, and can it and now you have individual cans to open as meal size ?

band saw

canning is an ok method but if you want to actually make a nice salmon meal a can of fish just doesn't cut it. I can't believe how many people just smoke/can all of their fish. If you take the time to learn a few recipe's you can make some really quick and easy meals that taste fantastic.

I hear you on the bandsaw Wolf. That was my first thought. I have a drywall saw and wondered how that would work? Or just a plain woodsaw. Or maybe a hacksaw? Any past hacking out there? eman

This also works if the frozen pieces are whole fillets or smaller fish. I had 9 Bamfield springs to deal with and not much time so I filetted the fish and vacuum sealed the halves. Then when I had more time I cut the bags open, put the sides in a cooler for 4 hours, and wiped the bags out. At this state you can handle the fish as a still frozen slab,(no moisture) but it will CLEAN cut with a sharp knife.
Then reseal the smaller pieces and they look better than when they were freshly vacuum sealed. If your fish is whole go to a butcher and get him to cut steaks.

Reciprocating saw with a reasonabely aggressive blade. Works wonders on frozen salmon for cutting steaks, and as good for cutting frozen backstraps into chops.

Cheers,
Nog

I use a very sharp 15lb meat cleaver that has a 3 foot handle. I think my gradfather used it on cattle it makes short work of a 25lb springer. The neighbors kind of give me stange looks but what the hell.

It's easy, give the whole thing to the neighbor down the block that can't go fishing. If it hurts enough you will get the fillet knife out prior to freezing the next time. There is great joy in giving to those that cannot get their own. :)

Well spoken. I have caught hell on this site for suggesting giving fish way. Be carful the fish nazis with be after you.:D

I can't imagine using my bandsaw to cut up a frozen fish, can't you just smell it (the bandsaw) after a few days[xx(][?] What am I missing here[:0] You can buy a meat saw; it looks a bit like a big hacksaw and it does the job quite well. Not pricey and it's easy to clean:D

Tom

Clean it after you use it you would be surprised it doesnt make a lot of mess we also use it to cut up moose shanks and bones just wipe it down with a solution of bleach and water and its good to go in the butcher shop they freeze pork chop lons and cut them on the bandsaw all the time its the easiest way.

Wolf

Thanks for the very interesting suggestions, as well as the queries as to why I did not prepare properly. Very much appreciated. eman

Back