Pending child ruined my Rivers Trip in August. Other options?

Preach, brother
lol - this is fun! I can see it both ways!
Just had my buddy's wife deliver 5 weeks early, so that was one of my first thoughts...
But - let's stick to your question. I throw my vote to Bamfield, or up towards Hakai as has been mentioned. To be frank, even if you motor to Squamish and tie up at the dock for a week and enjoy some quiet time before your team grows, then that is a great win, too!!

A great spot for tyee class Chinook and Halibut is Cape Condom on the Northern Tip of the Island. Just around the corner of Point Pull Out. Good luck with your fishing trip and hopefully you don’t have a line in the water when the water breaks or you’ll be sunk.
Coitus Interruptus Channel

"Pending birth ruins fishing trip" Really?
I love fishing - 66 years of it and counting. However, the birth experience and the 9 months of fetal development must be fully shared. Get your priorities straight. Think of your wife and family. You should be fully invested as a partner and a Dad. The fish will wait. Dude: don't be a whiny, self-absorbed cry-baby. Real fishermen are men first.

"Pending birth ruins fishing trip" Really?
I love fishing - 66 years of it and counting. However, the birth experience and the 9 months of fetal development must be fully shared. Get your priorities straight. Think of your wife and family. You should be fully invested as a partner and a Dad. The fish will wait. Dude: don't be a whiny, self-absorbed cry-baby. Real fishermen are men first.
I really think we have embarrassed this guy enough over his post.
AND if we haven't no sense continuing with his education on the responsibilities of marriage and family cause it is a hopeless case.
I wonder if his wife reads this thread?

I really think we have embarrassed this guy enough over his post.
AND if we haven't no sense continuing with his education on the responsibilities of marriage and family cause it is a hopeless case.
I wonder if his wife reads this thread?
Ha. You have certainly not embarrassed me. The only thing some of you have done is assured me of your lack of humour which, in addition to family, is a pretty important part of life.

Anywho, I will continue to take input RE: fishing area suggestions for june-mid July before the new addition to our family in mid august. Believe it or not, one can both be incredibly excited for a new child AND incredibly excited for a fishing trip before said child’s arrival. 2 thoughts at once can be a challenge for some I suppose.
Back to the fishing please?

Last edited:
Good point. I mean how upset could an 8-month pregnant gal living in a house w/o AC in the middle of summer really get? :/
Road trip with my 8 month pregnant wife. She told me she was hungry twice but wouldn't tell me what she wanted to eat so I ignored her. The third time Satan told me she was hungry...I found some food pronto! I've never before or after seen that anger .

Ha. You have certainly not embarrassed me. The only thing some of you have done is assured me of your lack of humour which, in addition to family, is a pretty important part of life.

Anywho, I will continue to take input RE: fishing area suggestions for june-mid July before the new addition to our family in mid august. Believe it or not, one can both be incredibly excited for a new child AND incredibly excited for a fishing trip before said child’s arrival. 2 thoughts at once can be a challenge for some I suppose.
Back to the fishing please?
Certainly no shortage of condemnation or judgement is there lol.

Sorry but after reading this thread, the only one to blame for this travesty is yourself. For serious fishermen, the term "wrap it up in November and December" is not a reference to Christmas presents but a simple family planning measure to avoid having a child during prime fishing season on the coast. Rookie move.

Bamfield would be my choice. Decent fishing inshore and offshore, cell service in a lot of spots and not too far incase things happen a little early with the baby.

Good point. I mean how upset could an 8-month pregnant gal living in a house w/o AC in the middle of summer really get? :/
I like that you have an awesome boat but no A/C at home!!! I respect the life style choices! ;)

Also I know it may not sound as exoctic but consider Victoria and Sooke. Fishing should be good in july (pinks, chinook, halibut, coho) and you would be near cell range but more important... you could leave your boat at a local marina (pedder, cheanh etc) and make the ferry/harbour air on very short notice to get back if something happens earlier/later with the wife.

And before people poo-poo the idea ... I caught my biggest salmon just 5 min from the harbour off harbour entrance between ogden point and saxe... on a AP spoon... 27.3lbs

I like that you have an awesome boat but no A/C at home!!! I respect the life style choices! ;)

Also I know it may not sound as exoctic but consider Victoria and Sooke. Fishing should be good in july (pinks, chinook, halibut, coho) and you would be near cell range but more important... you could leave your boat at a local marina (pedder, cheanh etc) and make the ferry/harbour air on very short notice to get back if something happens earlier/later with the wife.

And before people poo-poo the idea ... I caught my biggest salmon just 5 min from the harbour off harbour entrance between ogden point and saxe... on a AP spoon... 27.3lbs

This thread is a year old…. I think he got it figured out

I was at Smithers heading for my goat draw at Seven Sisters Range. Called home to check in and my father in law told my wife was in early labour. Home I went. No complaints. No regrets. Priorities!

Back