Pending child ruined my Rivers Trip in August. Other options?

Last_Call

ok, so the good news is my wife and I are expecting our 2nd kid in mid-August.

The bad news and more (or equally) importantly however is that my usual central coast / rivers inlet trip for the 1st week of August is no long an option as I can't be out of reception for a week that close to birth time. After some negotiations, I can pull off a week long trip so long as I'm back home before July 15th. My boat lives in Vancouver (no trailer) but I'm open to cruising anywhere up the inside passage and up to Central Coast / WCVI /etc. I could also hire a boat mover if that makes more sense. Given these timing restrictions I'm wondering what others would do for a week-long trip at some point between June1-July15. I am able to boat camp for several days so remote areas are an option though I wouldn't mind a shower at some point during the week. I would like to bring a few salmon home (as a bonus) but mostly just looking for nice fishing / cruising areas to explore. Catching and releasing a few big fish would be nice too (hence my usual trip to rivers).

Welcome any ideas. thx.

ok, so the good news is my wife and I are expecting our 2nd kid in mid-August.

The bad news and more (or equally) importantly however is that my usual central coast / rivers inlet trip for the 1st week of August is no long an option as I can't be out of reception for a week that close to birth time. After some negotiations, I can pull off a week long trip so long as I'm back home before July 15th. My boat lives in Vancouver (no trailer) but I'm open to cruising anywhere up the inside passage and up to Central Coast / WCVI /etc. I could also hire a boat mover if that makes more sense. Given these timing restrictions I'm wondering what others would do for a week-long trip at some point between June1-July15. I am able to boat camp for several days so remote areas are an option though I wouldn't mind a shower at some point during the week. I would like to bring a few salmon home (as a bonus) but mostly just looking for nice fishing / cruising areas to explore. Catching and releasing a few big fish would be nice too (hence my usual trip to rivers).

Welcome any ideas. thx.
Make your way to Rupert. We had a Chinook closure last year that May intrude your dates but they havnt announced anything for this year yet lots of big fish lots of areas to sleep on boat cell service everywhere but Dundas

Make your way to Rupert. We had a Chinook closure last year that May intrude your dates but they havnt announced anything for this year yet lots of big fish lots of areas to sleep on boat cell service everywhere but Dundas
Maybe the same reg in.play agian up there as last year.. but we see

yup, could be a possibility but that's a long haul from vancouver for a 1 week trip. Would prefer to keep it central coast or south given the time constraints. If I did a rupert trip I'd likely want 2 weeks and would add haida gwaii to that trip as well. Maybe next year!

Do Bamfield. Only about 7 hours, 180 miles from Vancouver. We went mid July last year and although no big salmon limited out on everything.
Halibut, Ling, Salmon. Even a few Sockeye. If you don’t want to boat around you can have your boat trailered from French Creek.
Beautiful place to explore and fish.

Calvert island camp in Pruth bay for a few days and fish hakai? Could hit Burnett bay and hardy on your way up/down likely get a shower somewhere along the way..

Just up the coast from you has been producing some nice fish the last couple years. Boys running out of Hardy hitting Cape Caution and area have been into some great fishing. And the area has as generous limits as they get this day and age. You also have the option of heading around the northern tip and into great fishing salmon and bottom fish. All based out of Hardy about and hour run or so. Have a few family members that have been doing this fishery over the last few years with Serengeti out of Hardy and them boys have put them on some top notch fishing. I’ve been thinking hard on doing this fishery myself the last couple years but doing that crossing over to Cape Caution each day has me a bit concerned with my little 22’ a guy could get over there and have a wind blow up during the day she would be a scary ride home buckin a norwester on the quarter side. Or around the north end she can get pretty nasty as well. But your boat seems more than capable for these runs. Be a lot easier for you to get home from the island if you had to.

Last edited:
I dont really give a ratzass. ( well -- not really or I would not be throwing my $.25 into the discussion.) But just remember that our wives have memories like elephants--THEY DONT FORGET ! After 53 years of marriage , I bet my wife will still give me 'the look' when I tell my friends that I had to give up the first day of duck season when we got married. Seriously, Last Call , I was in the hospital with my wife when she had both of our kids. It was an awe inspiring bonding experience between a woman and her partner that should not be taken lightly. Things hopefully will go according to plan...but what if it doesn't ? The fish will be there next year.....but if you miss that wonderful experience .......its gone forever. Good luck with which ever decision you make and I hope you get the kids fishing as soon as they show signs of interest. My son got his first unassisted coho out of the Squamish at the age of 3.

Back