Pacific Cod, WOW!

As in black cod or sablefish? Those are my favorite! Like butter.

As in black cod or sablefish? Those are my favorite! Like butter.
No not like that. Uglier. The meat wasn't as oily. Sometimes I find sablefish to be overly heavy. But yeah I guess that would be closest example of what it tasted like.

Last edited:
Do you target them similarly to how you'd target halibut?
I got two nice ones on the mud flat out of Pedder Bay this spring while I was on the hook for Hail. First two in 8 years of fishing in the same area.
Finally fried up this fatty that I caught back in March. This is the best tasting fish I've ever had. Just pan seared with a bit of cornstarch. I'll be targeting these things from now if they ever show up again.
Glad you enjoyed it. As I've posted before it's one of my favourites. Ling cod is right up there next to it for me but I'm not much of a Ling catcher so it was a bonus when I picked up the two P-cod this spring. It's a pretty versatile fish to cook. Back on the rock we pan fry, deep fry, boil it, stew it, salt and dry it (fish and Brews), salt it (corned) and I'm sure I've missed a few.

Do you target them similarly to how you'd target halibut?
No we were getting them on salmon gear in the harbour. These were a good size too, around 4lb. We used to see them a lot out deeper during June but they were tiny and a huge nuisance. One small tap and then nothing so you'd never know they were there. Still trolling between 100-200 feet but in 500 FOW at that time.

I got two nice ones on the mud flat out of Pedder Bay this spring while I was on the hook for Hail. First two in 8 years of fishing in the same area.

Glad you enjoyed it. As I've posted before it's one of my favourites. Ling cod is right up there next to it for me but I'm not much of a Ling catcher so it was a bonus when I picked up the two P-cod this spring. It's a pretty versatile fish to cook. Back on the rock we pan fry, deep fry, boil it, stew it, salt and dry it (fish and Brews), salt it (corned) and I'm sure I've missed a few.
1721739178178.gif1721739218976.gif

We are headed to the rock for 10 days first part of August. Will be doing some jigging for Atlantic Cod, My favourite fish.

Back