Pacific Cod, WOW!

That's a monster!!
I didn’t know these tasted good. We catch those all the time around telegraph cove in 300 feet of water while targeting halibut, usually the same size as the one he’s holding in the pic. I always toss them back. Maybe we only catch big ones because I’m running 9” hoochies with salmon belly/large herring all wrapped up with big butt hooks.

That's awesome. We will be staying in Lewisporte for part of our time and heading out to Exploits Island for several days. Not that far from Twillingate by boat. You are either a Newfie or married to one, lol.
Married to one, but I have been screeched in!

Altantic cod is best bottom fish I've ever eaten, fresh outta ocean though its a bit watery and falls apart easily while cooking, leave the fillets a day and they sheds the water and will hold together perfectly for cooking

I've caught similar pacific cod up off malcolm island deep in 300 plus ft, nothing like Newfoundland fishing shallow depths and amount of fish

I didn’t know these tasted good. We catch those all the time around telegraph cove in 300 feet of water while targeting halibut, usually the same size as the one he’s holding in the pic. I always toss them back. Maybe we only catch big ones because I’m running 9” hoochies with salmon belly/large herring all wrapped up with big butt hooks.
They really absorb spices and rubs when you prep them, one of the characteristics of that fish. Cook til translucent. I buy the ones at Costco in winter that are Alaskan caught. Really good!

Nice sharp knife. I noticed he cut the tongues out too. Nothing wasted.
Not sure if you saw it but he also took the roe. (Referred to as cod pea or britches back home.). I was trying to find the video where the guy cleaned and kept the head and also the napes but couldn’t. That guy definitely didn’t waste anything.

Wow…just wow
I learned filleting from my in-law parents in Virden Manitoba (pickerel) but could never wield a blade like that….impressive! But what about the cross ribs mentioned in a previous post….are they like pike?

Back