Okanagan sockeye 2022

I'll be ready to retire from the Salt by then and can just stay home and fish Sox and springs
I talked to the fisheries guy today at wood lake, he said they have only had 50 sockeye make it ok lake the last couple years and they have dumped 1.5 million dry in, he said something is not working and they don’t know what yet

Pre Season Plan in the IFMP

13.5.8.3 DECISION GUIDELINES AND MANAGEMENT ACTIONS

The current science based spawning objective is 35,500 fish as enumerated on an indexed section of the spawning ground which is equivalent to approximately 61,200 fish as enumerated through Wells Dam on the Columbia River in Washington State. The following decision rules are used to manage Okanagan Sockeye in Canada: If projected escapement past Wells Dam on the Columbia River is less than 10,000 Sockeye, limited fishing for FSC purposes is permitted by Okanagan Nation. If projected escapement past Wells Dam is between 10,000 and 60,000 fish, an Okanagan Nation FSC catch of 5% of the run that has migrated past Wells Dam is permitted. If projected escapement past Wells Dam exceeds 60,000 fish, an Okanagan Nation FSC minimum catch of 10% of the run that has migrated past Wells Dam is permitted. Should the projected escapement past Wells Dam exceed 80,000 fish; additional opportunities may be considered.

INCIDENTAL HARVEST, BYCATCH AND CONSTRAINTS TO OKANAGAN SOCKEYE FISHERIES

Fisheries are managed to avoid incidental capture of Okanagan River Chinook. 13.5.8.5 ALLOCATION AND FISHING PLANS Allocations are described above in the Decision Guidelines and Management Actions section. 13.5.8.5.1 First Nations Fisheries Food Social and Ceremonial The Okanagan Nation Alliance opportunities to harvest salmon for food, social and ceremonial purposes are provided through a communal licence negotiated annually with DFO. This licence provides the details of the FSC fishery. Fishery Monitoring and Catch Reporting Okanagan Nation Alliance uses a variety of methods to estimate FSC harvests. Current methods include video monitoring, roving creel monitors, catch card reporting and phone interviews

13.5.8.5.2 Recreational Fisheries

Recreational fisheries will take place if the Wells Dam counts indicate spawning escapement
and FSC requirements could be met. The allowable catch will be determined in-season based on
Sockeye counts over Wells Dam and movement of fish into Osoyoos Lake. This fishery takes
place on Osoyoos Lake.
A creel survey utilizing access sites and boat patrols are conducted capturing effort, landed
catch and release data during the fishery. The survey is conducted by the Okanagan Nation
Alliance in conjunction with DFO.

13.5.8.5.3 Commercial Fisheries
Okanagan First Nations Commercial Sockeye Harvest
Okanagan Sockeye First Nations Demonstration Fishery
The Okanagan Nation Alliance (ONA) will be working towards sustaining commercial sales of
Okanagan Sockeye in addition to working with strategic allies for increasing sales and trade
from other inland commercial fisheries. If abundance permits, a 2022 fishery would be similar to
previous years where abundance was sufficient. The fishery will continue to build on previous
year’s demonstration fisheries and address the challenges involved in informing business plans
for in-river fisheries in the BC Interior where commercial fisheries are developing, and
establishing markets for inland commercial Sockeye.
Region: BC Interior
Participants: Okanagan Nation Alliance partnership: Okanagan Indian Band, West bank
First Nations, Penticton Indian Band, Osoyoos Indian Band, Upper Nicola Indian Band
Lower and Upper Similkameen Indian bands.
Location of Fishery: Osoyoos Lake and Okanagan River
Gear Type: Purse seine(s), troll fleet and tangle net
Time Frame:
NOTE: All fishery time frames are estimates and final dates will be determined according
to in-season migration timing information. Fishery will target on Okanagan (Columbia)
Sockeye. Potential start date of July 20 with end date determined on run timing and fish
quality Allocation: Opportunities for commercial and recreational fisheries are not likely in 2022.
If abundance permits an Opportunity, it will be identified based on in- season information
of passage thru Wells Dam on the Columbia River. Commercial and recreational

I know there’s talk of going straight to a 4 fish limit but I think they are going to go with 2 and then see what the numbers look like.

I know there’s talk of going straight to a 4 fish limit but I think they are going to go with 2 and then see what the numbers look like.
Bonneville 640K end of yesterday and still ~3000/day, total will be north of 650K.
Starting to pile up at Wells, 239K and several days' counts not posted. Maybe because they can't believe it?

Hasn't been a problem in previous big sockeye seasons. They also open chinooks in Brewster Pool most years, so a lot of folks target the bigger fish first and don't limit out on socks.

did your birdie give a reason why they are being a**holes, 2 fish what a crock of ****
Also on the 2nd? it's usually on the first. But encouraging news none the less. Thing I hate is a guy can't make plans since there is not notice of what they are actually doing untill the zero hour.

He lobbied for 4 fish but they said no. It’s honestly not really worth it to travel from kelowna for 4-6 fish. I’d go down for 8-12 though. Might go to 4 later on.

it could change though. It’s not set in stone yet. Dates and fish.

I saw a sock jump the other evening while I was sipping a drink on the patio here in Osoyoos. Got me buzzing a bit. Wish I could time my annual holiday here with a Sockeye opening.

Back