Now That We Know TAC, What Should 2014 Limits Be?

Bruce... Well, IMHO, dragging a 150 lb hali off the bottom would be about as exciting as dragging a refrigerator from the same distance - except you wouldn't have to harpoon the fridge and figure out how to get the bloody thing in and out of your boat.

really-- you have NO idea. Someday we will get together and we will talk

Ditto salmonboy.. you are dead wrong.

later!

I am in favor of increasing the lower slot size to allow for travelling anglers to keep a 2nd fish that is a little bigger. This rule doesn't affect me at all, but I think this is a rule that is not fair to those who don't live close to halibut grounds or to those who only make a couple trips a year.

If sfac/sfab was looking for some unique but possibly workable solution, why not create a possession and annual limit based on length alone? Possession limit of 190cm and annual limit of 500cm? Just record the length of each fish on license with date. Would this work?

That's clever Dave! The cm possession limit...not a fan of upping lower slot size as it doesn't result in much gain considering avg size fish doesn't change whether that is instituted or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bruce... Well, IMHO, dragging a 150 lb hali off the bottom would be about as exciting as dragging a refrigerator from the same distance - except you wouldn't have to harpoon the fridge and figure out how to get the bloody thing in and out of your boat.

really-- you have NO idea. Someday we will get together and we will talk

Ditto salmonboy.. you are dead wrong.

later!

well i have an idea, dont want the biggies, sure 150s 200s give an epic battle, not for me, i like good eaters,so i happy with a pic now..not sure how im dead wrong, theres like 2 guys on this thread that r pushing for lifetime fish....as for a shoulder season that will be open all year, that only depends on how many big 1s r caught, im all for increasing size limits....serengetti u know as well as i do that them saying it will be open all year means nothing...look at the 2 years ago we went way over and closed it aug 15th.......

Sorry, CL, while I'm happy to get together and have a chat (Judy said 'Hi" back, BTW), I don't thing you will convince me that catching a really big slab of Halibut is something I'd enjoy. I do a lot of my Hali fishing solo and find it quite satisfying to play a 30 lb Hali - particularly when I know I can deal with it by myself when I get it to the surface.

My vote is for shoulder season. Silly to be not allowing choice to anglers to keep certain sized fish in order to allow for 2 months of keeping a ping pong paddle fish.

uhh youll have to show me...i dont see that..im looking back and reading the posts, and dont see these posts....and im not against a shoulder season, but u know it will close earlier than dec31....like i said last post....it closed sept 15th, when we went way over.....it doesnt matter to u if it closes early, cause u dont fish all year, i do and want the longest possible season...u fish for money(not knockin u,,thats your job)i fish for fun, so its hard to come to agreement....theres more guys fishing halibut now than ever...the ultimate goal to me is to increase our tac, and to get our size limits increased, the average joe pays alot more money a year to have a boat in the water, than a guy that goes on a charter thats wants to catch a biggie...and that should be the priority to keep us local guys fishin....just my opinion tho ....whether it be right or wrong....regardzz

Sorry, CL, while I'm happy to get together and have a chat (Judy said 'Hi" back, BTW), I don't thing you will convince me that catching a really big slab of Halibut is something I'd enjoy. I do a lot of my Hali fishing solo and find it quite satisfying to play a 30 lb Hali - particularly when I know I can deal with it by myself when I get it to the surface.
One of my most memorable SOLO halibut adventures was wrestling a 144lb halibut while fighting gale winds almost on the beach with knife in hand contemplating cutting the line but understanding the opportunity that I had and realizing it was affair fight. So I battled on and finally won . It is one of those events I will always remember even if and when the oxygen tube is up my nose and fading out for the last time. I feel others should have the same opportunity . It was the most physically demanding solo fishing experience of my life to date . The meat was shared and enjoyed by many .Not sure if I would do it again but the choice should be ours. That halibut was harvested with dignity and will be remembered.

kronic

Some of you really dont get it........ ignorance and uninformed is bliss I guess....

From what ive read FROM all of you is we harvest halibut for 1 reason MEAT lets call a spade a spade halibut fishing is a meat harvest period. and of course we would rather have a 50 lber compared to a 12 lber that why we throw the little ones back if it wasnt you would keep that 12 lber.....

no different than hunting id love to harvest more than what we get but cant,(limits and seasons) i pass on many to live another day cant shoot one and go up and go AHHH DAMN its over the size I cant keep it.... got to let it go oh but wait I killed it... no different than a gill hooked 65 lber thats 10 cm past the "legal" limit WHO benefits from letting that go to waste?????? ABSOLUTLLY NO ONE....

Id love to go hunting in say February in the pickering hills when ALL the elk come down from the mountains to "harvest meat" that would be PRIME TIME in my eyes......no different than April to AUG for halibut..... BUT wait I want to go on dec 8....thats the only time I can go YEAH I guess i could tell my family and friends to come earlier in the season.... maybe ill chase big springs in NOVEMBER too, whos fault is that if you can get out when the season opens for 7 months??? definitely not DFO or anyone else ......

AND yes ive gone to circle hooks on some gear and got some inhale the hook DEEP.dont tell me the only get "lipped hooked"

Also who do you think we take out fishing??? you seem to think ALL the guides take all the fish WE dont I dont catch the fish the people do!!!! Canadians mostly some with there own boats that live right here they dont want to pay upwards of 2500 bucks to get gear anchor systems etc etc and the learning curve of current tides ,locations its cheaper in there eyes to hire me so they can catch THEIR halibut......PERIOD...... THEY have the right to fish as they BOUGHT a licence just like you have!!!!!!!!! "sporties" out number guides more than you think but I know its the "guides" fault point the finger thats fine but point it towards yourself ...

Wolf

Some of you really dont get it........ ignorance and uninformed is bliss I guess....

From what ive read FROM all of you is we harvest halibut for 1 reason MEAT lets call a spade a spade halibut fishing is a meat harvest period.

Not true at all.
Me and my family enjoy bottom fishing.
My kids always preferred Hali fishing over trolling for salmon.
Some of our best days last year were catching and releasing the overs.

I know we all have opinions.....

As a rec. fishermen that doesn't get the opperunity to catch large fish and can't fish in my back yard for halibut any day the weather permits(well I could be who knows the success I would have unlike other location) when I do get out to do my harvesting of meat I'd rather be able to go home with 2-40's which is a more easily obtainable then scoring a big one. And easier on my pocket then hiring some one with the equipment to catch The Big One...... Most average rec fishermen don't even hit the top end of the slot and don't necessarily want big fish. By raising the slots and using up our TAC it seem more user friendly for me as a rec fisherman.

Do we need another non profit fishermen thread? :cool:

Why are the guides so worried? Already looks like certain groups representing rec. fishermen are leaning their way.

Being I only get one or two halibut a year.... I give up. I'll take what I get as that's the way it always seems to be.

No point in fighting with other members I respect.... I just hope to see the slot raised and would really like be able to take home 1/2 of decent sized table fish.

Good Luck,

F..k I hate halibut topics.........

Boy oh boy it sure is nice being called ignorant and uninformed, and it must be nice to be right all the time, oh well maybe in my next life, I am soooo blissed!

Boy oh boy it sure is nice being called ignorant and uninformed, and it must be nice to be right all the time, oh well maybe in my next life, I am soooo blissed!

Oh stick around this forum long enough and you will be called lots worse- gets to be like water off a ducks back. Guys are passionate about this topic and you have to understand everybody wants something to fit their style of fishing. Since it's not about conservation but political the guys take the gloves off and want to shout you to their position!! Whatever it happens to be. LOL

My vote is for no slots, at least one any size per year, no less than 6 per year and I do like the idea of a different shoulder season. And I do like hali fishing until the end of October.

I must be the worst halibut fisherman in the comox valley I have zero and I see spring fever , fish assassin ,Cuba libre,Jen court,big Bruce,GLG and Sophia b all seem to be good at it, this will teach me for missing F.A's get together and learning something. I didn't realize there was this much halibut around here

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my most memorable SOLO halibut adventures was wrestling a 144lb halibut while fighting gale winds almost on the beach with knife in hand contemplating cutting the line but understanding the opportunity that I had and realizing it was affair fight. So I battled on and finally won . It is one of those events I will always remember even if and when the oxygen tube is up my nose and fading out for the last time. I feel others should have the same opportunity . It was the most physically demanding solo fishing experience of my life to date . The meat was shared and enjoyed by many .Not sure if I would do it again but the choice should be ours. That halibut was harvested with dignity and will be remembered.

kronic

That's what I am talking about! I want that too and that keeps me targeting halis. I see the sport first and the meat second.

Back