Nootka reports?

Osama Bin Hopper

I'm heading up there next weekend with the new boat to give her a go for the first time.

Anyone have some recent reports or tips they'd care to share...

Can't wait!

Well it just so happens that I just got back from that area.

Launched out of Gold River and headed up to Tahsis to fish the other side of Nootka Island out of Esperanza Inlet. Never made it that far before, beautiful country up that way. Most of the focus was on Halibut by myself and the few people up there. I just used a Spreader Bar and Herring. Yesterday morning I left Tahsis at first light, laid the the Prawn traps and fished offshore about 3 miles or so. Took 2 hours to see another boat. Filled my Halibut limit before any others headed out. Managed 3 chickens over 2 days (1 hour on Day 2) and made a very weak mid day effort on Salmon off Catala Island due to afternoon winds.

The day prior, got a late start and took 3 hours playing around for 2 Halibut. Never fished the area so it took a little playing around. At the docks one boat had 4 in the 40-70 pound class. My guess is they were out by Esperanza Reef or maybe deeper. Mostly Halibut marked on the board at Westview Marina, but that seemed to be the focus of most. One group came in later in the day in a 26ft Grady. 4 guys, one 30 lb class spring and 3 feeder class, plus one Yelloweye. Again I'm guess they were out on the Highway judging by the boat. Other reports of Salmon were incidental catches while fishing for Halibut.

I saw your posting on Fish BC. Your new boat sounds like my old boat. Be interested to hear where/who you bought it from?

As for other tips. If you've never run out of Gold River the inflow winds are you biggest enemy. In that boat, I'd be running out of Gold River no later than 10 am (earlier the better) and returning either in the last hour of daylight or before 10 am again. The inlet sucks for wind and is really nasty in a small boat. I've run the same boat and know it's a tough slog. The sound may be windy but it is never as bad. The Natives want $15 to launch and then $7-$10 a day to park even on the road. I don't mind paying, but there is a limit. For all that they will talk to you while your launching and may grab the odd dock line but service ain't their thing. At that price a helpful hand would be nice when you docking or launching not after the fact.

SeaWolf - In comox from initials K.M.

C.S. - A 17.5 Canaventure with a 50hp Yammy 4stroke.

Anytime you want to come out on it and show me whats what up your way you're welcome!

Back