Nootka Hali fishing?

Great day out there. Water was flat. Could have gone out 10 miles today. Fished off Escalante for 3.5 hours 90-140 ft then headed out to 180 ft of water. Herring on a spreader bar produced 1 Cabezon, 2 small lings, and a rockfish. No Halibut for me. Couple other boats came and went, did not see anything being caught.

The am low tide will be a challenge. We lauched about 2 hours into the rise. Good sandbar off the lauch. Stay really close to the last dock you may miss it. We made it over but with 2 or 3 feet less water maybe not. Good luck post a report on your luck.

Great day out there. Water was flat. Could have gone out 10 miles today. Fished off Escalante for 3.5 hours 90-140 ft then headed out to 180 ft of water. Herring on a spreader bar produced 1 Cabezon, 2 small lings, and a rockfish. No Halibut for me. Couple other boats came and went, did not see anything being caught.

The am low tide will be a challenge. We lauched about 2 hours into the rise. Good sandbar off the lauch. Stay really close to the last dock you may miss it. We made it over but with 2 or 3 feet less water maybe not. Good luck post a report on your luck.

Hey Sea Wolf, Well it just wasn't worth the risk of driving all that way and be unable to launch, the way I figured it I would have had to launch at 5:00am or 12:00pm and I ain't getting up at 2:00am. So we went to Campbell River instead and spent a beautiful day fishing the lighthouse and hump. Managed one small 9lb spring and a couple of small chicken hali'a at the hump but the big mystery was the hit right at slack tide on my anchovie that drove the tip of my rod into the water right off the rigger and my islander was screaming line before I could react, by the time I had the rod it was gone with my anchovie and trail hook to boot> Must have been an early summer run fish there have been a few big ones taken recently. Anyways hope to make to the West coast soon. Have a 4 day trip uin mid June to Winter Harbour so that hsould be a gas! Any reports on Winter Harbour anyone?

SWC

Back