Sooke to Port Renfrew boating and fishing query

Adler

Hey all, I am thinking of heading to Port Renfrew from Sooke to catch some wild coho you can retain there. As the boat is already in the water, was thinking of boating up. Have done it before, so know it's a fine run when the weather is good, and would only do so in good weather. My questions though:

1. Are there boating restrictions on that run? I seem to recall something about having to run a km or 2 offshore. On Navionics, I see caution areas due to submarine activity, but nothing else.

2. There are halibut spots up that way, right? As in, near Jordan River? Don't hear much about people foshing for hali out that way, but saw some old posts about hali up there. I don't intend to go much past East Point, hoping to find hali East of that.

Thanks in advance.

I have been looking at this option as well since I don't have a truck. I don't think you have to go 2 km off shore. I think you can just ride up the coast. I had an idea of trolling with the tide one way then motoring faster when the tide goes the other.

Guys got a 48 lb and an 8 pound Hali off kayaks at JR this weekend. There are deep and shallow spots but given to me by a buddy so I can’t share them. If I discovered them myself I would but like anywhere look for bumps or structure and fish the tide change.

Google whale slow down maps or variations. Also check WA regs, might be easier to buy a US license and fish across the boarder than run that far for coho.

Winds looked good this week for offshore, might be a good time to do the run but if there is any wind I wouldn’t go.

There's some hali spots off Jordan River & Sombrio. Don't think there are slowdown spots. I think that area is west of Renfrew, towards Nitnat. You can duck inside and fish the bay in Renfrew, but look at the DFO regs for Coho for 20-1. They have a map of areas you salmon fish.

Thanks for the input, just really wanted to be able to convince others that we didn't need to go way offshore Renfrew for hali, could catch between here and there. Had considered the run to renfrew today, but got as far as Otter and with the swells from the west and wind and currents going opposite direction, thought twice and instead fished there for first few hours before heading back to the head. But I'll definitely look at it again. We did okay today with hatchery coho after a frustrating day Saturday with nothing but wilds.

Thanks for the input, just really wanted to be able to convince others that we didn't need to go way offshore Renfrew for hali, could catch between here and there. Had considered the run to renfrew today, but got as far as Otter and with the swells from the west and wind and currents going opposite direction, thought twice and instead fished there for first few hours before heading back to the head. But I'll definitely look at it again. We did okay today with hatchery coho after a frustrating day Saturday with nothing but wilds.
were you fishing off the head this afternoon? Might have saw you out there. If you are looking at doing a run maybe we can be buddy boats. I'm considering a run out that way too soon.

were you fishing off the head this afternoon? Might have saw you out there. If you are looking at doing a run maybe we can be buddy boats. I'm considering a run out that way too soon.
Yeah, we were there, stayed further out off the head but came in as we finished up around 2pm. We'll be out again next weekend and may consider that run, if the stars align. After that, with one wild retainable here, probably won't be planned again. I'll send you a PM.

Yeah, we were there, stayed further out off the head but came in as we finished up around 2pm. We'll be out again next weekend and may consider that run, if the stars align. After that, with one wild retainable here, probably won't be planned again. I'll send you a PM.
Yeah PM me and we can chat on Facebook messenger or something.

I’ve looked at winds and they seem to be favourable at this point but it’s too fare away for an accurate projection.

Winds look good both days this weekend, but I think we'll stay in Sooke, at least for tomorrow to see how it's going there. New moon on Sunday, so not an ideal hali weekend.

Back