Nootka Hali fishing?

Saltwater Cowboy

I'm heading to Nootka Sound this Sunday for some hali fishing close to the inside, in areas around the lighthouse, burdwood pt and escalante rocks. Maybe some ealry spring fishing to if weather permits? I've heard some good things recently. Anyone else been there or heard any news? I appreciate it!

SWC

Dang!I thought you were going to say you had a couple seats available.

Hey Knuckle Buster, that would be a good fit as that's the name of my boat! How bout a couple of boats going up? Let's get a buudy boat system going! I've heard good things, the more the merrier! Anybody?

SWC

One day[V]. I'm hoping to buy myself a welded alum ,center console maybe by next summer.Something I can haul across the island to the hot spots.Set it up as a serious fishing machine.My current boat sits in Cowichan bay and doesn't trailer well at 28' and 10,000#

Sounds good CS! Haven't done much fishing out of Nootka in May lot's in the summer but not this early! How far out are the springs usually? I have a few good spots for Hali! The long range forecast looks great supposed to be warm and light winds, now we'll actually see what materializes as the weather forecasting business around here's a crap shoot! Anybosy else in for a jaunt out for some ealry season back aching, knuckle busting action!?

SWC

Sounds good CS! Haven't done much fishing out of Nootka in May lot's in the summer but not this early! How far out are the springs usually? I have a few good spots for Hali! The long range forecast looks great supposed to be warm and light winds, now we'll actually see what materializes as the weather forecasting business around here's a crap shoot! Anybosy else in for a jaunt out for some ealry season back aching, knuckle busting action!?

SWC

What a bonehead I am! Sunday is mother's day and my wife is a new mother as of 6 months ago so, Nootka will have to be a Monday trip instead!

SWC

What a bonehead I am! Sunday is mother's day and my wife is a new mother as of 6 months ago so, Nootka will have to be a Monday trip instead!

SWC

I was just going to mention that!:D
Thank god you came to your senses.

I was just going to mention that!:D
Thank god you came to your senses.

I've seen reference to fishing the Sand Flats between Burdwood and Escalante rocks for Halibut. Looking on my electronic charts, the water there seems very shallow 15-20 fathoms where the bottom is sandy and at 30-40 fathoms it is labelled as muddy. I wuz wondering if you would'nt mind providing a Nootka novice a steer in the right direction. May be heading over tomorrow, can't do Monday unfortunately, but would be glad to provide a report when I get back.

I've seen reference to fishing the Sand Flats between Burdwood and Escalante rocks for Halibut. Looking on my electronic charts, the water there seems very shallow 15-20 fathoms where the bottom is sandy and at 30-40 fathoms it is labelled as muddy. I wuz wondering if you would'nt mind providing a Nootka novice a steer in the right direction. May be heading over tomorrow, can't do Monday unfortunately, but would be glad to provide a report when I get back.

SeaWolf, I would go to the places you just described and try trolling by bouncing the riggers on the bottom for the chicken hali's. If you wanted to go for some bigger ones, I would drift eith a spreader bar and some form of bait on the 300ft line straight out from the lighthouse north to Maquinna point. Try plugs, anchoovie or cut plug herring while trolling and salmon bellies, x large herring, or berkley power gruds on a preader bar if drifting. Good chance to pick up some snapper, and lings as well and maybe even a salmon or two. Will check your report Sunday night before we leave MOnday morning!

SWC

SeaWolf, I would go to the places you just described and try trolling by bouncing the riggers on the bottom for the chicken hali's. If you wanted to go for some bigger ones, I would drift eith a spreader bar and some form of bait on the 300ft line straight out from the lighthouse north to Maquinna point. Try plugs, anchoovie or cut plug herring while trolling and salmon bellies, x large herring, or berkley power gruds on a preader bar if drifting. Good chance to pick up some snapper, and lings as well and maybe even a salmon or two. Will check your report Sunday night before we leave MOnday morning!

SWC

Thanks for the info. Taking the family over to show them the sights. Marine Wx looks goods seas less than 1 metre. Morning tide sucks for launching so it will not be a real early start, hopefully in time to beat the inflow though. Not as much a serious attack on the fish as a day out for the wife. Wx and seas permitting we will try those spots and report late Sunday.

Thanks for the info. Taking the family over to show them the sights. Marine Wx looks goods seas less than 1 metre. Morning tide sucks for launching so it will not be a real early start, hopefully in time to beat the inflow though. Not as much a serious attack on the fish as a day out for the wife. Wx and seas permitting we will try those spots and report late Sunday.

Back