Nitinat Lake

T

toynbee

Any reports on Nitinat Lake?? Heading out on Aug. 21,22.....

WRiting from Saltspring. Caught one sockeye and two springs (below 20) pender bluffs...

what depth were the springs/sockeye at? what were u using?? im going to nitinat septmeber 16 or 17

I don't have a lot of experience at nitnat but isn't that a little early? I wasn"t planning on trying until at least the first week of september. Are there many fish in at that time? Do I just wait too long to start?

My one trip to Nitinat lake was Sept 8th last year. Guys were catching them fast and furious then. We only got 3.

Yeah, early...historically, first week of september on is the best depending if you want to be inside or outside the narrows, or even in the river. If river, 2nd-3rd week seems to be the most consistant. If outside, I don't think you'll have a problem for your time period....

Just curious I've fished the river numerous times, but what methods are guys using to fish the lake? I mean is it similar to fishing Alberni or is there something different going on there?

Whens the best time for fishing the end of the lake near the gap to the outside..not outside but on the inside .. :p i was planning on going the september 16 weekend

knucklebuster - caught both springs on army truck hoochy at 97... Heading out to Collinson tomorrow am will let you know how we do...

poppa,there is indeed something going on.Fishing the lake is not really fishing the lake.It's more of a saltwater river.At the head of the lake it funnels down to about 60feet at its narrowest and is in places onyl 4 or 5 feet deep.Being so narrow in places it is a challege to fish.Most of the time there is a very good current going ,flood and ebb.It has become a total zoo.Sometimes with 30,40,50 boats .I fish cutplug but alot just jerk.Going to the outside is serious water and should only done with experience or follow someone who has done it before.If you want to know the slack time? take Ucluelet tide change time and add about 4 hours.It's not to the min but close.The narrows is only about 3/4 of a click long,so you must like company.I dont and have stopped fishing it.

Just curious:
Are you venturing in from the outside, say launching at Port Renfrew, or is there another route you take to get your boat there?
Never been there but is on my list of places to go one of these years, but I thought it was just river fishing from the bank.
Thanks

From the lake cowichan port alberni road there is a ramp about 1 km before the dididat reserve.From there it is a 17 mile run.Sometimes foggy in the morning and always very windy in the afternoon.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

Just curious I've fished the river numerous times, but what methods are guys using to fish the lake? I mean is it similar to fishing Alberni or is there something different going on there?

Cutplug when they are biting or a green/glow zinger when they're not.
GONGSHOW!!!

Yes there is poppa...read frango's post....there is also a crude cobble launch half way up the lake (IF you have a good 4x4)...wasn't great plugging last time I went and that was like 8 years ago!

oh the 17 mile run part through me off, I'm talking about fishing the east(?) side of the lake near the actual river mouth, not fishing the outside or near the narrows.

Its been so long since I've been up there, so is the ramp actually pretty close to that area then?

Oh yeah, the ramp is a few hundred metres from the mouth (same end)....fish have got to be there to make it worthwhile though, thats why mouth of ocean or outside better...they tend to hold longer there verses flopping around few a day or two at the river mouth (at least in my experience with it)....

[8D]Well fishing the river DAMN quick here[8D]. I'm heading to the river for opening day Aug. 25th hopefully it will be decent. If not I will head back every weekend after that.. If anyone has taken a quick peek at the river to see if any fish are coming up yet some or any info would be great to hear about...

ya that does make sense, thanks for the info. As for fishing the ocean instead of the river, you know those ocean fish are on their way to spawn too, so maybe we should just leave them all alone;)

Back