Newbie to house build

The greatest budget blowouts in construction all happen in the ground.

Are we talking unforseen blasting or clipping a burried line? Please elaborate as those are the first things that comes to mind but maybe I'm way off.
- Finding imported fill instead of native soil.
- Organic material still present 6 ft below grade
- Massive boulder found in otherwise pure fine silt base material.
- Bedrock in a corner of a basement dig.
- Pilings running 180-200 ft deep when Geotechnical assessment predicted 50-60'.
- Septic tanks, water tanks, heating oil tanks all "rediscovered" during digs.
- Ground water in neighbour building due to excavation cutting into underground stream.
- water, gas and phone lines all popping up where not expected

Thats the fist few I thought of from all the shenanigans I've seen over the years. Not to mention the expense incurred below grade even when things go generally OK but budgets didn't anticipate the real cost of servicing rural lots and building driveways on steep slopes or bedrock

We built a Pacific home in Whitehorse and purchasing from them was very simple. They supplied everything needed to lock up including, siding soffit, shingles, insulation and complete sets of building plans so you knew your material fixed costs. We purchased the windows locally.The foundation was built in advance of the material arriving, at that time it was about six weeks leadtime from date of order. It took 10 days to get to lockup and four to five months for us to move in with a three week break over Christmas and being to cold to work. The building code up there requires R 42 walls and R 60 in the attic. The exterior wall panels were 2 x 6 foam filled and fir plywood sheathing. The vapor barrier was on the 2 x 6 walls and then a 1" air space and insulated 2 x 4 interior walls which the plumbing and electrical went through so no puncturing the vapor barrier. We used baseboard heaters for our main heat source and a propane fireplace. Our heating bills were about 300.00 for electrical and 100.00 for propane in a 2700 sq.' house.

Attachments

• IMG_1595129727682.jpg
    IMG_1595129727682.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 42
^ good sensible wall assembly. That second wall inside the VB for services is way better than the silly 2x8 plates with staggered 2x4 studs. All that lumber and insulation isn't worth beans if trades aren't fastidious with sealing each and every penetration.

Pacific made a mistake and sent enough 4" rocksal (?) to insulate every wall. The window sills were 10" Deep.

Package homes have a lot going for them when it comes to remote area builds, when even one forgotten stick of flashing means a multi hour trip.

A few years ago I watched Pacific Homes pull into Buccaneer Bay with an 80 ft barge full of wall panels and other materials and then used a helicopter to fly it all to the build site. Was only 150 m away and 20 m up, but the landing point and access trail are both pretty gnarly. Using the helicopter actually saved them money. Crew of three on the barge slinging loads and three more at the site landing and unslinging. Insulated exterior wall panels went on the newly completed foundation/subfloor, everything else to the back yard laydown area.

That package contained doors, windows, roof trusses, standing seam roof panels, pre-finished soffit, fascia and siding material, and all other exterior finish items. Perfect solution for an off grid, water access only build. This old builder coukd see the attention to detail and was most impressed.

I’ve never seen a man not spend 130% of his budget on a new home build Or Reno. It’s like HP, you always need more.

Back