New braided fiber vs steel downrigger line

do you want to reduce your voltage? brass lowers voltage. getting a stainless steel brush and scrubbing you cannon ball lowers voltage. if you want to raise your voltage, you get a black box, thats the easy way. or new Zincs. if you want to test what your voltage is, get a multimeter, touch one probe to the downrigger line and touch the other to the Neg terminal of your battery.

do you want to reduce your voltage? brass lowers voltage. getting a stainless steel brush and scrubbing you cannon ball lowers voltage. if you want to raise your voltage, you get a black box, thats the easy way. or new Zincs. if you want to test what your voltage is, get a multimeter, touch one probe to the downrigger line and touch the other to the Neg terminal of your battery.

Well thanks for answering that FM but now ill answer that ok.we dont know what the voltage is doing at say 30 ft on the rigger or 100 ft down on the rigger because we dont have the equipment to take a reading down at that depth(at the ball) as everyone here takes a reading at the boat And as far as what it is doing say 20 ft from the boat who knows ??????? we are talking millavolts very weak you and I cant even feel it and I really really doubt there is much of a voltage reading 30 ft off of your pin on your fishing line itself as now you have broken the electrical current with a non metal item you have basically isolated it.
But it appers FM thinks differently than I and that is his opinion. Ill break it down to this

5 % voltage on a boat
80% skill on how and what (spin bait knowing how to fish)
15% of just plain old luck

There like I said earlier K.I.S.S.

Good luck Wolf

Well thanks for answering that FM but now ill answer that ok.we dont know what the voltage is doing at say 30 ft on the rigger or 100 ft down on the rigger because we dont have the equipment to take a reading down at that depth(at the ball) as everyone here takes a reading at the boat And as far as what it is doing say 20 ft from the boat who knows ??????? we are talking millavolts very weak you and I cant even feel it and I really really doubt there is much of a voltage reading 30 ft off of your pin on your fishing line itself as now you have broken the electrical current with a non metal item you have basically isolated it.
But it appers FM thinks differently than I and that is his opinion. Ill break it down to this

5 % voltage on a boat
80% skill on how and what (spin bait knowing how to fish)
15% of just plain old luck

There like I said earlier K.I.S.S.

Good luck Wolf

A good friend of mine just spent a a good dime on a new Striper last Spring, I went out with him once and showed him a few basics such as how to put his Shimmano 4000 on the right way to start, not backwards and upside down like a levelwind, that is still a good laugh. Screwed him right up when i fliped it back the right way! I set up one chovie for him and showed him some leader lenghts and basic good gear setup that is all. I'm not tooting my own horn, as he then kept pace with most of the Guides in Sooke all on his own. He also fished from 93 - 150 all summer with a betsy, 6 foot leader and a secret teaser and a b box set at .59

I now lean my theory towards 25% presentation,skills,Voltage

25% currents and valuable time spent with gear in the water,

50% LUCK or being in the right place at the right time...

A good friend of mine just spent a a good dime on a new Striper last Spring, I went out with him once and showed him a few basics such as how to put his Shimmano 4000 on the right way to start, not backwards and upside down like a levelwind, that is still a good laugh. Screwed him right up when i fliped it back the right way! I set up one chovie for him and showed him some leader lenghts and basic good gear setup that is all. I'm not tooting my own horn, as he then kept pace with most of the Guides in Sooke all on his own. He also fished from 93 - 150 all summer with a betsy, 6 foot leader and a secret teaser and a b box set at .59

I now lean my theory towards 25% presentation,skills,Voltage

25% currents and valuable time spent with gear in the water,

50% LUCK or being in the right place at the right time...

I think it comes down to yes it does make a difference, maybe just not a huge difference.

If you can afford it why not it will probably help, at list fractionally. If you are on more of a budget then your money can be spent better else where.

I do think it is just plain silly to compare fishing 20 years ago to now. Sure you could catch fish with wire line, 2lb balls etc - but you could also bucktail for monster coho in cowichan bay and catch limits of big springs in the saanich inlet - it aint that east anymore.

I think it comes down to yes it does make a difference, maybe just not a huge difference.

If you can afford it why not it will probably help, at list fractionally. If you are on more of a budget then your money can be spent better else where.

I do think it is just plain silly to compare fishing 20 years ago to now. Sure you could catch fish with wire line, 2lb balls etc - but you could also bucktail for monster coho in cowichan bay and catch limits of big springs in the saanich inlet - it aint that east anymore.

Thanks for the tips guys,I'm going to take a voltage meter with me next time I go out.My Cannon downriggers are supposed to put out .7 volts.Its probobly just me but I do seem to catch more socks and less springs.

Thanks for the tips guys,I'm going to take a voltage meter with me next time I go out.My Cannon downriggers are supposed to put out .7 volts.Its probobly just me but I do seem to catch more socks and less springs.

CAngler, my bud was getting frustrated this Sept, Sock fishing at the South Arm of the Fraser lightship, until he changed from 14 inch to 28 inch leader like the other lines, and then started getting them too.

CAngler, my bud was getting frustrated this Sept, Sock fishing at the South Arm of the Fraser lightship, until he changed from 14 inch to 28 inch leader like the other lines, and then started getting them too.

and this summer in sooke I got limits of sockeye trolling anchovy on 6 foot leaders too, nothing is concrete out there and every day can be different.

and this summer in sooke I got limits of sockeye trolling anchovy on 6 foot leaders too, nothing is concrete out there and every day can be different.

hey all just wondering... how much does a black box run for?? it seems like a lot of ppl have them... also, do you only need the black box or are there other parts or accesories or things that i need to buy seperatly?

thanks!! waddy

hey all just wondering... how much does a black box run for?? it seems like a lot of ppl have them... also, do you only need the black box or are there other parts or accesories or things that i need to buy seperatly?

thanks!! waddy

Back