New braided fiber vs steel downrigger line

Half way through the 2006 season I relined my downriggers with the new braided line from Scotty. Some of the other guides I was working with were very happy with its performance. I like that there are no more kinks and its easy to tie, and the quiet performance I am a firm believer in the black box and I wonder about not being able to make use of it. I didn’t really notice a difference in my catch success. Has any body else had any experience here? Is there another way to still make use of the black box?

nope, as long as your boats electrical potential is between .5 and .7
milivolts there's no need .
If your boat is catching fish i would not worry about it.

YES! there is a way to use your black box, theres a transom mount kit. its like $25.

the black box adjusts the electrical output of your boat,
specifically on the downrigger wire.
if the output is too great or too little, it will repel fish.
some boats don't need them, as the natural voltage is correct.
you can do a test using a voltmeter on the downrigger wire
to check the electrical dischrge.

The voltage field that your boat creates can be altered by what electrical equipment is running on your boat or by someone elses in the immediate area at the same time, and the water salinity of the area you are fishing. Even when you pass across a rivermouth you will see the change on a voltmeter of your electrical field, so it is something that you keep adjusting.Fish are attracted and repelled by the strength of the electrical field surrounding an object, and they are very sensitve to even minute changes in the electrical field around them. I run my box connected to my swimgrid now with the braided line.

In the rankings of electro sensor capabilities of all fish, sharks and rays are at the absolute top of the list. Dr. Theodore Bullock of the Scribbs Institute of Oceanography, is one of the foremost world experts on Electro reception. His book “Electro reception” was published in 1986. Bullock ranks sharks as probably 1000 times more sensitive than any other fish. He indicates that sharks and rays have the documented capability to navigate solely using the earth’s magnetic field as their guide. In the June 1991 issue of National Geographic, researcher Adrian Kalmijn noted that a “shark recognizes an electric field in the order of five— billionth of a volt per centimeter.” Kalmijn offers this perspective. “Plant electrodes 2000 miles apart on the ocean floor and power them with a 1.5 volt flashlight battery. That is a very weak electric field. But every shark in between those electrodes will know what you are up to.”

Salmon do not have electro sensor cells like sharks but they have been found to be one of the species strongly attracted to an anode reaction. Research at the University of British Columbia demonstrated that salmon can distinguish the earth’s magnetic field. When baby salmon in test tanks were subject to magnetic fields imposed outside the tanks, the majority of the fish would orient themselves to one side of the tank. It is believed salmon use this sense in their migration patterns. Many years ago the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service learned that they have to be very careful with galvanic reactions (electrolysis) around salmon hatcheries.

In many instances salmon must swim through culverts or other metal structures in their upstream migration. If the dissimilar metals are used such that a negative galvanic reaction is present, the salmon will refuse to enter the culvert or structure. The Fish and Wildlife service carefully neutralizes these structures to ensure salmon passage.

SPECIES VOLTAGE
Chinook (King) Salmon .600 volts
Coho (Silver) Salmon .650 volts
Sockeye Salmon .750 volts
Kokanee Salmon .650 volts
Halibut .450 volts *
Laketrout (Mackinaw) .650 volts
Rainbow & Brown Trout .650 volts
Cutthroat Trout .650 volts
Black Bass .750 volts *
Sharks .400 volts *
Striped Bass .650 volts *
Sturgeon .500 volts *
Catfish .500 volts *

* Further research may change this recommendation

Very interesting post.I have always kept my black box at about .600 for chinook but overheard a couple of charter guys talking one day saying they run about 8.5 for chinook so who knows.that is what the natural voltage on my boat reads.

Thanks for that info. Would wiring the black box to a below water brass thruhull do the trick or better to use one of my trim tabs or both? my boat runs naturaly at .48 and could use the correction from the black box. is there somthing specail about the transum mount kit or is it just a metal probe.I am thinking the amount of metal in the water connected to the black box may make a diferance in its delivery.

Interesting post, I was wondering if any members have knowledge as to whether aluminum hulled boats are more [or less] susceptible to galvanic discharge? I operate a 2000 17.5' Crestliner with channel welded alu hull and have never used a black box, nor do I know what my discharge potential is [?] so I will have that tested.
PinchMe

We had a really good discussion about this awhile ago it was very enlightling. You can go to the pro troll website and scroll down to the black box section it has a lot of info. DAN

The electrical parts of steel aside, after having it on for a month, I am SOLD because the stuff doesn't break as readily as Stainless. During Boozers, I got hung up at Christopher Point on the reef there, and with the line wrapped around my gaff, it held my boat in the tide. Stainless would have flipped me the bird and broke. And, after wrappnig it arounda cleat and going in a cirle, we got it back. IT is a lot less tempermental, BUT, a barbed hook sliding up your braided line WILL cut it.

BARBED HOOK?????????????????????? OH forgot renfrew guide LOL LOL

So after describing my braided downrigger line unraveling 30 ft up from the clip, why???

quote:Originally posted by wolf

BARBED HOOK?????????????????????? OH forgot renfrew guide LOL LOL

"DOUBLE TROUBLE"

Actually, I clip the Eagle Claws almost religiously. I found out the barb breaking the braided line from my last misadventure that I pissed and moaned about on this board. Scotty should see if they can get a TAX BREAK by claiming they discourage the use of barbed hooks with their line?

Hmmm, somehow now I feel like I'm being looked at as an Enron Executive.

"Touche" Kelly LOL

Someone I know and you know talk too much!!!!!!!!!!

Wolf

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

I don't know how it could "unravel" since it is woven? Was it the Dynema Scotty stuff?
Twice this year its happened. Had both riggers re done last spring. Local shop in Sooke,who knows what they used. I will be complaining though and get to the bottom of it. Dont like snipping 30 ft off.

Cant believe this i am acually going to have to agree with concerend for once LOL.

As for me ill stick to wire as I then have control on the voltage on my boat.

Good luck Wolf

Back