My boat is sold, what lodge am I celebrating at?

If it was me I would take up Brian on that offer at Esperanza. It isn't the fanciest lodge but fishing will be dynamite at that time in August.

If you could swing it another place would be Eagle Nook Lodge in Barkley Sound. They might be fully booked though.
Eagle Nook, or somewhere in Bammer was my first thought. I've been itching to get back there. But I wasn't sure about any self guided options.

Self guide at QCL?
I went on a fathers day weekend and it was lights out for springs, hali, we didnt target lings.
My son was a guide at the time and took a shift off so we could fish together.
We were top boat and 2nd largest spring of weekend.
There is/was a derby that weekend and drew some long time guests that go every yr.
I didnt enter as entry was more than i paid for trip lol
Food was amazing, gear and boats were excellent.
Trip of a lifetime that we'll never forget!!
I’ve been to QCL twice, stayed on the driftwood, right on the fishing grounds. It’s an excellent lodge, slayed fish, lost the biggest spring I’ve ever had on right at the side of the boat.
Highly recommended

Last edited:
I’ve done a fill up there and featured the lodge from the outside in a video. My rich friends love it. @tigerprawn just won the derby they host every year.

I stayed there as well with a group trip bringing our own boats. There isn't really another lodge I find in that location that is that nice. Plus it's well organized. Only issue is it gets booked up fast.

This place looks pretty incredible, would be nice to hear fom any forum members who have been....
I was there end of aug last year and it was great. We fished with Dan the owner / operator. This was the only all inclusive / full experience lodge I have been to so I don’t know what else to compare too. Fishing was awesome for coho/ springs > 20lbs and we got some smaller Hali. Food was really good and lots of it. Lots of beer/booze/ wine options and we pre requested what drinks / snacks we wanted for the boat, they were all in a cooler in the boat. Accommodations were clean and comfortable but dated ( I don’t care but some may ). They have a bunch of trails, kayaks and other options too to entertain when you’re not fishing. Over all I would say it’s probably best value compared to other lodges but not where I would choose to go if I was looking for big fish.

I believe you can do a bring your own boat option and I am pretty sure the guides would let you follow them out to the Hali grounds or give you some spots to try.

I don’t think they have self guided boats though.

I’m not sure if anyone’s doing it now, but the old West Coast Resorts had it set up where you had a guide for half a day every day and then the guide went in a second boat for the other half a day. So the time that we had the guide with us we were either bottom fishing with his local knowledge, or we let him basically run the boat and we ran all the salmon gear, which was really nice. He bled the fish out and took care of the catch.

I’m sure the lodges are booking out quickly though.

Last edited:
Really depends if you are looking for volume or chance at some Tyee's. Also problem now will be getting prime dates anywhere as they fill up early. If you are flexible on dates you could call around to a handful of lodges and get on their last minute list. If they get cancellations you get first dibs. Most of the big lodges have options where you can go self guided for the most part but book a guide for a day or two. For big fish I still don't think you can beat WCFC Clubhouse, QCL, King Pacific, Langara (weighted rod only) or one of the Rivers Inlet Lodges if you time it right. For volume my money would be WCVI somewhere (hard to find unguided out there), Port Hardy or WCFC Outpost (best "out there" lodge in BC)

I'll follow up on what Slabbedout remarks about Eaglenook and all of Barkley Sound. Went there in our own boat back in 2013 before
Dan's group bought the lodge. We followed the guides out for a couple of mornings to get the lay of the land. Lot's of different spots to hit all over Barkley sound.

Since then, we have fished BS out of Bamfield every year since 2013 (except for covid) for a full week each time with our own boat.
Have always gone the last week of August into the first week of September. For inside the Sound, it is the most productive time of the season
hands down. Tons of springs and a few coho depending on the year. But the springs inside are all primarily Robertson Creek hatchery
returnees and top out around 25lbs. Most are in the 12 to 20lb range. But if you're after numbers and not tyees, it's always productive. If you're looking for good bottom fishing, you really need to run out to the ocean. Besides Eaglenook there is BS Lodge, Mackay Bay Lodge in Bamfield (plus others) and some guides out of Uclulet. Since you're not going with your own boat, those are your options.

You’ll need to specify more what you’re looking to catch.
This post could go on forever (like the post about guiding and the guy forgot to mention he was 25 and single) if your looking for big fish, lots of fish , to get drunk and stare at girls

Drive yourself to Moutcha Bay and rent one of their Grady’s or 22 ft new aluminum Center consoles and fish your butt off with your buddy for Springs, Lings, Ho’s and Butts all day long. You know how to fish. You don’t need no damn guide. Then they’ll process everything and you drive back home in 6 hours. Great food/bar and world class facilities. And the cool thing is you drive there. Their boats will blow your mind. If you want a guide they have that too.

Kyuquot.....either of three operations there are some good, some great. It is a special spot and I have been there for the past 14 years.....my ashes will be spread off there. Walters Cove or Dave Murphy are your go to's. I don't know about Rugged Point lodge but have heard of good things. We are at a private members only lodge right on your way into Walter's Cove so do don't have first hand experience but have met the owners from WC and DM. Do NOT do Slam Bang Lodge.....they process our fish but having been there to drop off and pick up fish I can say all that was going through my head was the them to Sanford and Son.

It really depends what is important to you. If you are OK with less than 5 star I would say Reel Obsessions, Murphy's, or North King. Maybe Oli's.
All Quality fishing.
You’ll need to specify more what you’re looking to catch.
This post could go on forever (like the post about guiding and the guy forgot to mention he was 25 and single) if your looking for big fish, lots of fish , to get drunk and stare at girls
At this point I think we're leaning towards something that works with just two nights, three tops. Don't need full pampering but some fish packing would be great. I've never been on a guided trip, let alone a lodge. We don't mind cooking but wouldn't mind a bit of a scene with dinner. I'm honestly just leaning towards heading over to Bamfield because I miss the smell of The Wreckage ;)
Plus I think I'll know enough guys over there to just have a nice day or two fishing with good people. I don't need trophy fish, I don't need lots of fish. I need to be on the water in a beautiful place to get over the past 5 years of stress that boat caused me lol

Whelp, she's done. In an attempt to keep me from jumping off a bridge, my wife suggested that I finally try a lodge out. A nice lodge. My buddy Elliot and I have had a bit of a year, him way more than me of course. So I'm bringing him with me! Where should I go, and when? I need to plan this quick before she changes her mind.
Dave Murphy, Murphy Sportfishing out of Kyuquot was always great . He only runs Pursuits and mo see t of his guilds are good
Kyuquot.....either of three operations there are some good, some great. It is a special spot and I have been there for the past 14 years.....my ashes will be spread off there. Walters Cove or Dave Murphy are your go to's. I don't know about Rugged Point lodge but have heard of good things. We are at a private members only lodge right on your way into Walter's Cove so do don't have first hand experience but have met the owners from WC and DM. Do NOT do Slam Bang Lodge.....they process our fish but having been there to drop off and pick up fish I can say all that was going through my head was the them to Sanford and Son.

I would highly recommend Murphys in Kyuquot, been there many times and always great. Also brought my boat a few times to Slam Bang…let’s just says it’s in need of better management. The food is unbelievably good at Slam Bang plenty of it, rooms are rustic but the owners adult son totally ruins the place…kids a total disaster and most people don’t return after they experience him .
Murphys is the go to in that area !

At this point I think we're leaning towards something that works with just two nights, three tops. Don't need full pampering but some fish packing would be great. I've never been on a guided trip, let alone a lodge. We don't mind cooking but wouldn't mind a bit of a scene with dinner. I'm honestly just leaning towards heading over to Bamfield because I miss the smell of The Wreckage ;)
Plus I think I'll know enough guys over there to just have a nice day or two fishing with good people. I don't need trophy fish, I don't need lots of fish. I need to be on the water in a beautiful place to get over the past 5 years of stress that boat caused me lol

Helli fishing and down rigging, call Paul. It’s an experience of a lifetime. I’ve been many times and never regretted spending the money. 604-414-4493

Back