My boat is sold, what lodge am I celebrating at?

Rain City

Crew Member
Whelp, she's done. In an attempt to keep me from jumping off a bridge, my wife suggested that I finally try a lodge out. A nice lodge. My buddy Elliot and I have had a bit of a year, him way more than me of course. So I'm bringing him with me! Where should I go, and when? I need to plan this quick before she changes her mind.

You want the self guided option you're not the sort of of person who wants to sit and wait for some kid to hand him a rod with a fish already on it; fishing at Langara isn't nearly what it once was but it's a cool place nonetheless

Self guide at QCL?
I went on a fathers day weekend and it was lights out for springs, hali, we didnt target lings.
My son was a guide at the time and took a shift off so we could fish together.
We were top boat and 2nd largest spring of weekend.
There is/was a derby that weekend and drew some long time guests that go every yr.
I didnt enter as entry was more than i paid for trip lol
Food was amazing, gear and boats were excellent.
Trip of a lifetime that we'll never forget!!

Last edited:
Do not be shy about a guide for bottom fish, they know where the halibut and ling are. You can salmon fish yourself though. Choose that option if possible. And congrats, this was a gut wrencher for you.

Do not be shy about a guide for bottom fish, they know where the halibut and ling are. You can salmon fish yourself though. Choose that option if possible. And congrats, this was a gut wrencher for you.
I agree with everyone that a self guided day would be preferable. But you're totally right that having a guide put me on a ling hole would be nice too.

You want the self guided option you're not the sort of of person who wants to sit and wait for some kid to hand him a rod with a fish already on it; fishing at Langara isn't nearly what it once was but it's a cool place nonetheless
We always had a good way of solving the problem of guides hooking the fish and handing over the rod. We would tell them upfront we want to go for the rod and hook the fish ourselves but sometimes they forget. We refused to take the rod and tell them we don’t play other people’s fish and make them fight the fish and insist on netting it for them. We would laugh about it in good fun but they never hooked a fish for us after that. I have no problems with guides driving the boat and putting down the gear (people are sensitive about their riggers) when I’m technically on vacation. These type of trips are half a week and expensive and a good guide will pick up lines and move you around and put you into different places they know right away if the fishing is slower. Especially if they get a sense that you are fishy and adventurous.

As for lodges not sure what the criteria for nice is as one person’s Shangrila could be another’s slum but heard good things about QCL, West Coast Fishing Club and Eagle Point being that extra bit nicer if hot towel waiting for you when you get off the boat is what you are looking for.

Eagle point has nice boats big fish lots of fish and 5 star
The outpost for west coast fishing club is remote, super nice phenomenal fishing if the weather is good (probably your best pick for sheer numbers of fish)
If it were me I’d be looking at eagle point between now and the 3rd week or of July

The Outpost is a cool place. They only run a few boats, used to be 7. Not sure what they're up to now. There won't be anyone else within 20km.

King Pacific Lodge hasn't been mentioned. Self guided boats available, fishing is close (< 3 minutes to Cheney), and very nice accommodations. From friends that have been to both KPL and QCL, QCL has more amenities and service, but KPL has more of a fishing culture.

North King Lodge is another with self guided boats and the focus on fishing. Accommodations not as swish as KPL or QCL, but no one else around. My money would be for one of those two or Eagle Pointe which I've heard good things.

If it was me I would take up Brian on that offer at Esperanza. It isn't the fanciest lodge but fishing will be dynamite at that time in August.

If you could swing it another place would be Eagle Nook Lodge in Barkley Sound. They might be fully booked though.

Back