Mono Leaders Vs Florocarbon Leaders

Seaguar STS is decent because it's a little softer than blue label. Blue label is very stiff and easy to mess up when snelling hooks. I have been moving back to maxima in the last few years because it's cheap and works well. Fluro also basically never breaks down so when you bust off gear it's in the ocean forever......not that mono is that much better. For me fluro is mostly reserved for tuna fishing down south now.... salmon are stupid anyways and it's kind of overkill on them.

Last edited:
Seaguar STS 40 lb for bait and spoons, 50 lb for hootchies never had any issues with the clinch knot. Just keep it super wet when tying your leader. Bit more $$$ but it lasts longer and keeps the fish under a lot of tension. Used Maxima FC for river fishing but switched to Seaguar a few years ago and never went back.
I also use 50lb FC leaders when bottom fishing as they can handle the sharp teeth much better.

I went to fluoro a couple years ago. Then I switched back to mono. Yes for us fluorocarbon was strong, stiff and clear. All the things worked except for when they get the slightest kink, abrasion or knick in it, it will snap right off like nothing. Tried all the Seagar stuff, even tried a Japanese version hybrid line for a bit. Went right back to the mono. 40 and 60. Seems to handle the abuse on our boats for longer. More forgiving. My xp. Think the mono has stretch which imo makes it hold up even when it has an abrasion

Was very hard for me to switch to Flo from Max ultra, Maxima is way limper bait rolls nicer easier at slow speeds and everything else, i don't know if it's our local fish with big fangs but soon as i was catching more fish and bigger the mono would nick so easy, like you can see scratch marks like crazy threw it out a few more times and fish started breaking off, so i dealt with it and just kept changing to a fresh tied up gear, sometimes it was ok but the thought of loosing a fish if i forgot to check it every single time drove me nuts, changed to flo thats one huge change in my fishing, one huge less thing to worry about... i trust that leader more then my main line, it's incredible...run the orange label one, anchovy 25-30lb needed the limper line to get a nice roll on chov, herring and hooch 40lb ... spoons i'll still use Max lets the spoon do it's flops and wobbles where flo is to stiff

yep. hundreds of years of combined fishing experience on here, and a new product comes along with it’s known problems and “it’s you.”
Idk maybe your not wetting your knots when you tie them, but if your also having trouble getting accurate hoochie leader lengths as well theirs lots of YouTube vids to help you out if your having issues . I’ve used floura for years with 50lb on hoochies with two hooks snelled and a simple fisherman’s knot on my swivel, 30-40lb for spoons. Good luck Pacemaker

Seagar Blue Label 40lb for everything. Have never look back. Yes fricken expensive but last for a very long time and knots have never been an issue. Simple fisherman's knot, but wetting line is key. Can't remember when I switched I think like 8 years ago or so.

Started using Seagar 30lb and 50lb floro this year. Lost a couple of cheap lures jigging due to not wetting the line as much at first. I now use the trilene knot and make sure to really soak the line and have had zero issues since.

Was very hard for me to switch to Flo from Max ultra, Maxima is way limper bait rolls nicer easier at slow speeds and everything else, i don't know if it's our local fish with big fangs but soon as i was catching more fish and bigger the mono would nick so easy, like you can see scratch marks like crazy threw it out a few more times and fish started breaking off, so i dealt with it and just kept changing to a fresh tied up gear, sometimes it was ok but the thought of loosing a fish if i forgot to check it every single time drove me nuts, changed to flo thats one huge change in my fishing, one huge less thing to worry about... i trust that leader more then my main line, it's incredible...run the orange label one, anchovy 25-30lb needed the limper line to get a nice roll on chov, herring and hooch 40lb ... spoons i'll still use Max lets the spoon do it's flops and wobbles where flo is to stiff
Do you think the 30 pound fluorocarbon has better abrasion resistance than 40 pound maxima? It seems the powers that be have suggested that I use 40 pound for Fraser mouth bait rigs to avoid the ugly feeling of a rear stinger saw off. And… But I hate the Idea of running a line that produces a subprime roll

Do you think the 30 pound fluorocarbon has better abrasion resistance than 40 pound maxima?

Absolutely not

It seems the powers that be have suggested that I use 40 pound for Fraser mouth bait rigs to avoid the ugly feeling of a rear stinger saw off. And… But I hate the Idea of running a line that produces a subprime roll

Fraser mouth big mean springs with monster teeth and seals everywhere. 60lb mono all day. That over several years imo of dealing with all those things. Fluoro ******* sucks. Strong yes, skinnier per poundage yes, get one knick in it, and snap. Mono doesn't do that. Mono is more forgiving. Swivels are more important at the Fraser mouth

I retie my leaders every few fish anyways , As i dont take a chance if it was either lines. habit as then I know everything is good . IF i loose a fish from me being lazy it REALLY bugs me as thats my fault and my clients deserve the best so I try and keep my gear tip top shape.
So ive been using YAMI line for the last 30 plus years and its great !!! better then any others Ive used

i always wet my knots….Ryan A
. anyways, abrasion is one thing: fluoro doesn’t flex like mono does. hence the tendency for it to snap at its weak point, the knot.

I retie my leaders every few fish anyways , As i dont take a chance if it was either lines. habit as then I know everything is good . IF i loose a fish from me being lazy it REALLY bugs me as thats my fault and my clients deserve the best so I try and keep my gear tip top shape.
So ive been using YAMI line for the last 30 plus years and its great !!! better then any others Ive used
Where do you buy YAMI line?

unfortunately i can only get it the usa now It used to be carried by nicca and trotac for years it was used by commercial fishermen. hence why I started using it. if you know someone in the states...Sorry thought it was spelled with a 'I" and its "A"
View attachment 84816
Yeah I've used that in the past it's excellent stuff-moved to Ande Pink now.

Do you think the 30 pound fluorocarbon has better abrasion resistance than 40 pound maxima? It seems the powers that be have suggested that I use 40 pound for Fraser mouth bait rigs to avoid the ugly feeling of a rear stinger saw off. And… But I hate the Idea of running a line that produces a subprime roll

My experience says yes that fluorocarbon has notably more resistance than mono when dealing with sharp teeth. I can't give an exact pound for pound, but I have found 20lb fluorocarbon leaders fly fishing for Pike to be fairly reasonable at resisting bite off, when mono just totally doesn't work (I know its not apples to apples exactly, Chinook aren't Pike - luckily). People targeting Pike often use steel leaders but if you are fishing for other fish in waters where there are lots of pike for me Fluorocarbon is the choice. I always feel that walleyes or smallmouth, while not leader shy are less likely to hit a big black steel leader.
I have been using 30-40lb mono leaders for jigging salmon this year (and always used mono trolling) but I think I will switch to fluorocarbon for next year.

I lost the biggest spring I ever hooked due to knot failure in a fluorocarbon leader, and went back to 40# Maxima. No problems. It ain't rocket surgery to make a practice of checking your mono leader for damage after playing a fish.

We always have half a dozen flashers rigged and ready to go in any case, so when you land a fish, you just snap on the new flasher and leader, and instantly resume fishing. You have plenty of time to examine the old leader when you rebait the rig you took off. We also have a lot of pre-tied leaders in the box, tied with snap swivels so no gear-tying is required while fishing. If you need to discard a nicked leader, you just snap the new one onto the flasher. Gear-tying is meant to be a winter sport!

Back