Fluorocarbon vs Regular Mono for Saltwater Leaders

ask Kelly how many springs a certain Seaguar hoochie leader from my boat has caught this year.... I going to retire it shortly ........:)

Seaguar. I use it quite a bit. I also use the Superstar line that PNT sells. It's mono but really clear mono. It works great as well without breaking the bank.

I had a heartbreaker big salmon break off last week, it was on the same leader that i caught the 28lber.. I think mono looses it's stretching ability a bit after a big fish 30 minute battle then fish broke off 200 feet behind the boat...i run30 lb mainline (mono) with 25lb leader...i lose enough fish to the barbless hook, maybe time to upgrade my leaders.. These early season fish sure are scrappy !!, i might have to give the fC leaders a try...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triple Fish 40lb fluoro is 30$ for `125 at the old Trotac.

Jeffy, if you cant make it down to Victoria ask Derby for some PNT Superstar Fl... little cheaper than the brand name stuff and marginally different.

I've heard commercial trollers use 80lb+ for their leaders and they obviously catch fish. The one thing I would think would be a problem would be your ability to tie a good knot.

When I commercial trolled off the west coast, the knot we used for terminals was one I've since found out is called the "centauri", and I don't recall any problems at all with it. It is very simple, fast, and strong. This was with mono, in the 40 to 80 lb. test range, back in the 70's (before fluorocarbon). I don't use fluoro, so I don't know if this knot would also work for it.
Here's a video showing the centauri knot tied while holding on to the hook:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7bgzeBxqGk

But we didn't hold onto the hook, or the swivel or quick change. Too finicky. Instead, we hooked the hook, swivel, or quick change over something like a finishing nail or cut-off hook, that was attached to the window sill in the cabin, or into the woodwork in the stern. That way, we could use both hands to tie the knot very quickly. You'll get the idea from this next vid:
http://www.marinews.com/knots/fishi...t-to-fly/how-to-tie-centauri-knot/2/7/34/317/

We also used this knot to tie heavy Norwegian cod jigs onto even thicker mono hand lines, which I believe were about 120 lb. test.

Triple Fish 40lb fluoro is 30$ for `125 at the old Trotac.

Jeffy, if you cant make it down to Victoria ask Derby for some PNT Superstar Fl... little cheaper than the brand name stuff and marginally different.

Just waiting for our 40lb to come in....that or sea guar :)

Tried all the brands, but I really like the "Sufix Invisiline fluorocarbon" for all my leaders. They last way longer than other leader materials I've tried, and the price is reasonable. Good abrasion resistance, knot strength etc etc.

image.jpg

We use 15lb mono main line and 10lb test mono leaders. Almost never lose a fish to a broken leader. We do change leaders quite often. Might go through a 100 leaders for 5 rods on a week long fishing trip. Last year we landed 7 rivers inlet fish between 30 and 55lbs using the 10lb test. The key is the 12 foot Sage rods.

We use 15lb mono main line and 10lb test mono leaders. Almost never lose a fish to a broken leader. We do change leaders quite often. Might go through a 100 leaders for 5 rods on a week long fishing trip. Last year we landed 7 rivers inlet fish between 30 and 55lbs using the 10lb test. The key is the 12 foot Sage rods.

The key is not your long rods, it's that you do not use flashers....much better sport if you are in an area where you can make it productive.
30 lb. minimum with Mono or fluorocarbon, I generally use 40 lb. fluorocarbon with a flasher and I don't care how long a rod you have.

The key is not so much the 12 ft rod or the gear being used when using light line: it's changing out the leader on a regular basis or at the very minimum, re-tying the knot after every fish. And last but not least, having ponies on the stern of a boat to chase a fish down and someone good on the net helps.

Now 10 lb test on a big spring while standing on a river bank? Fasten seat belts!

Been using Yami 40 lb test mono for about 20 plus years now love it as for retieing i have an exact set up (hootcie,spoon,anch) ready to go if its in any way need of replacing, if fishing is that "hot" dont think it matters at that point what the heck you throw down....

I tried the floro personally didnt like how the knots tied and had a few slip...also dont like how the thing "frays" and man its expensive!!!!!
ill stick to mono I can tie it fast and be done with it I change out my leaders most of the time anyways as its CHEAP if you like to flirt with it well go for it last thing i want is to get a 30 lb plus fish to the boat only to watch it snap off because I was too lazy to change a 10 cent leader.

As for down time I watch more guys admire there bait roll for 5 mins or longer tweeking it, playing with it before sending it down sometimes during the whole good "fishy tact"

Back