Marked Gas

As far as I know the Co-Ops on the lower island now have ethanol in there marked gas , hence the 5% ethanol label on he pump . I have never seen premium marked gas , only mid grade .

I have worked at the coop refinery in the blending section. They do not make “mid grade” gasoline. They only make premium (no ethanol) or regular (most of the time ethanol but not always) “mid grade” is made after it leaves the refinery by blending regular and premium.

I have worked at the coop refinery in the blending section. They do not make “mid grade” gasoline. They only make premium (no ethanol) or regular (most of the time ethanol but not always) “mid grade” is made after it leaves the refinery by blending regular and premium.
So witch would marked be ?

I haven’t worked there in years but best I can remember marked is just regular or premium with dye added after it leaves the refinery. So it’s up to the distribution guys what they mark. They could mark premium and call it mid grade and sell it for marine application. Or they could blend regular and premium and call it mid grade. There is lots of instances where premium is simply sold as regular as the supply exceeds the demand. Regular is never sold as premium however.

Normally…Unless a special run of non ethanol regular is ordered and stored in a separate tank somewhere it would normal contain the ethanol. To make “mid grade” premium and regular are blended 50/50 either right at the gas station pump or in a tank farm somewhere. So if the regular used to blend had 10% ethanol the mid grade would end up at 5% ethanol.

For what it’s worth winter gas contains around 10% butane so it will vaporize in the cold temps.

Also the refineries do not make ethanol. That is made in a separate facility by a different company and is trucked to the refinery Ana held in storage tanks to be blended with gasoline. Because of the logistics of sourcing, buying, transporting and storage there are times when there is no ethanol available so not all regular gasoline will have it added.

edited for clarification

Last edited:
I haven’t worked there in years but best I can remember marked is just regular or premium with dye added after it leaves the refinery. So it’s up to the distribution guys what they mark. They could mark premium and call it mid grade and sell it for marine application. Or they could blend regular and premium and call it mid grade. There is lots of instances where premium is simply sold as regular as the supply exceeds the demand. Regular is never sold as premium however.

Normally…Unless a special run of non ethanol regular is ordered and stored in a separate tank somewhere it would normal contain the ethanol. To make “mid grade” premium and regular are blended 50/50 either right at the gas station pump or in a tank farm somewhere. So if the regular used to blend had 10% ethanol the mid grade would end up at 5% ethanol.

For what it’s worth winter gas contains around 10% butane so it will vaporize in the cold temps.

Also the refineries do not make ethanol. That is made in a separate facility by a different company and is trucked to the refinery Ana held in storage tanks to be blended with gasoline. Because of the logistics of sourcing, buying, transporting and storage there are times when there is no ethanol available so not all regular gasoline will have it added.

edited for clarification
Thanks for the great explanation

Somebody has to pay back all that free money that’s been floating around for the last few years, getting shafted at the pump is too easy
This^^^^ and inflated property taxes

I thought marine gas has always been premium? Marked marine gas here Is $1.29 a litre as opposed to premium at $1.49ltr
Marked gas at Peninsula Co-op here in Victoria is mid-grade gas with up to 5% ethanol and the same price as regular.
Only a couple of Co-op stations sell it

Somebody has to pay back all that free money that’s been floating around for the last few years, getting shafted at the pump is too easy
You’re right. It’s a shame because consumption taxes are so regressive. Rather than taxing consumption and labour income, we need to start meaningfully taxing wealth and capital and investment income. The 1% pay virtually no tax on their wealth, and if they do, it’s a small fraction of what the working middle class pay on their income. Time to realign taxation so the richest pay their fair share: https://www.bcbusiness.ca/Tax-the-richwell-the-richest-of-them-anyway-report

Last edited:
I used to buy airplane gas for my race car. Specific gravity and octane levels HAD to be consistent, often over or around 100 octane. It was cheaper than buying premium at the pump. But it smells sweet when it burns. No alcohol.
Otter coop in Langley Fraser hwy and 248th and just north of the freeway at 264th, but both say it is only 7 cents a litre less than premium, you can phone to find out.
In Blaine Wa premium is 3.97 a US gallon, 3.7854 liters to a gallon so $1.05 US a liter or $1.31 CDN, Over 60 cents a liter cheaper.
Boat takes 80 gallons, 302 liter, truck takes 35 gallons, 132 liters.
So filling up in BLAINE would save around $260 CDN.
That is Blaine, immediately across the Pac Hwy crossing, you can find it a little cheaper further south same at Sumas crossing.

Airplane gas would be the best but only for trailered boats or maybe in 50 gal drums.

The border is open for essential travel, wouldn't saving over $200 bucks be essential is the high cost times?
Just checked Pt Roberts, a little more but still WAAaaay cheaper than Canada, they get their gas from Canada

Last edited:
where do you live? It's a lot more than that here in Nanaimo
I just filled the boat up and today’s price was $1.49/9 a litre. I made a point of looking and could see no info anywhere about octane/ethanol/additives but the label on the pump says “Marked Supreme”.

Back